Sony A7S - 4K sample video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

According to Den Lenie, it does do 10-bit 4K:"The sensor reads out fully at 4k and via micro HDMI you can record 10 bit uncompressed to a 4k recorder. We used the Blackmagic Design Ultra studio Pro that records Ultra HD." http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/sony-alpha-7s-first-hands-on-shooting-review/

Spec sheet says 8-bit. It's quite easy to feed 8-bit acquisition into 10-bit ProRes, which is probably the case here.

• Administrators

Spec sheet says 8-bit. It's quite easy to feed 8-bit acquisition into 10-bit ProRes, which is probably the case here.

Den or the Sony spec sheet? Who is right?

3840 × 2160(30p/24p) / 1920 × 1080(60p/24p) / 1920 × 1080(60i),YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit

Den or the Sony spec sheet? Who is right?

3840 × 2160(30p/24p) / 1920 × 1080(60p/24p) / 1920 × 1080(60i),YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit

Sony Specs here: 

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/vq5f/index.html

It's a 4:2:0 sampling. That's the original Codec. Full hd. 

Output 4k: seems to be uncompressed and 4:2:2 8 bit

How does the crop mode work on the Alpha 7 series?  Presumably the cameras crop to a Super 35 size when an APS-C sized E-mount lens is attached.  When a full-frame lens is attached, does the camera give the option to apply the same crop factor similar to the lossless ETC teleconverter option on the GH3?

The specs do not mention PAL rates - ie its 60/30 frames (as well as 24P), but no 50/25 ... which might mean that its not a world camera ie PAL is different to NTSC. Which also means it will cost a lot more in for instance Australia (which was the case with Panasonic GH cameras, which cost much more in Australia for instance, than in the USA). The GH-4 is well priced in Australia. 

Not good sign for PAL users, I hope I am wrong. the specs on Sony Australia for the A6000 also only had 60 frames and 24P. No 50/25 mentioned.  I hope that there is a simple switch (as Sony cameras typically had) to switch from NTSC to PAL).

Sony says for 4K output, 25 is available:

Non-compressed image output is now possible at 4K (QFHD: 3840 x 2160 pixels) resolution with selectable 30p (25p) and 24p frame rates. You can choose 4K or Full HD output from a menu. The 4K output capability allows recording of high-quality 4K images by a 4K-compatible recorder, as well as 4K output directly to a compatible monitor or TV.

The A7s is exciting in many ways, but I think the inconvenience and cost of an external recorder will be a deal breaker for many.  I also wonder if using the internal recording will impose the lame recording time limits they have on their other cameras.  I never understood why the onerous EU taxes have to penalize everyone else in the world.

Michael

The A7s is exciting in many ways, but I think the inconvenience and cost of an external recorder will be a deal breaker for many.

If you're using the A7s in a pro capacity where post flexibility is key, then I don't think it's too much of an ask.