4K is here! Blackmagic Production Camera Review

Andrew Reid

Footage looks great, if you don't need guerilla style and ultra lowlight this seems like the camera which will work out perfectly. Sensor size seems also ok, specially with speed boosters around for thouse special shots.

This is an EF mount. No Speedbooster for it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is an EF mount. No Speedbooster for it.

There is no commercial speedbooster for it, but there is no mirror so you can either wait for them to release a recessed ef mount speed booster or you can do it on your own if you have the tools.

Andrew, thank you for a good, informative and funny review! I have the bmcc. How would you say the 2,5k raw compares to the 4k? What is your first impression? Will you compare them? I would be happy if you did. I can't decide if I will be going for the DR or resolution on my next shoot.

There is a very coy comparison here.

I found it pretty easy to guess which one is which.

I feel like a lot of the cons on your list also apply to the original BMCC, but yet you loved (still do?) that camera; doesn't that seem a bit unfair?

I know its two years on, but the BMCC is still one of the best out there.

I'm still stuck on why everyone who can, doesn't own a BMPCC :)  I had a meetup for camera RAW in Boston and one of the guys said, "I love my BMPCC but you'd have to rip the my original BM out of my dead cold hands"  

I don't want to get flamed, but the GH4 is still going to be a "video"-like camera ;)

I'm still stuck on why everyone who can, doesn't own a BMPCC :)  I had a meetup for camera RAW in Boston and one of the guys said, "I love my BMPCC but you'd have to rip the my original BM out of my dead cold hands"  

I don't want to get flamed, but the GH4 is still going to be a "video"-like camera ;)

Small sensor and moire is why i haven't gone for the bmpcc.  But yeah there is a high chance the gh4 will still be very videoey.

Small sensor and moire is why i haven't gone for the bmpcc.  But yeah there is a high chance the gh4 will still be very videoey.

Well, from the promo reels it seems to be targeted mostly for documentary and stock footage purposes...... although you could also say its a "Production Camera", with the YAGH. 

For cinematic purposes, the GH4 wouldn't be my choice as there are more suited tools available... but its still possible to be cinematic with the camera in the right hands. (GH2 - Upstream Color).

All the reports of hot pixels is concerning to me.  Some report they are bad enough to see them during daytime shots.

Michael

Andrew, something does not compute regarding the way you use the tools available. You are always complaining that most DSLR's suck on their video performance, yet they are aimed for photography. And you use a camera aimed for filming to retain photography stills. What if you use each tool for their own purpose?

I'm just trying to think the way you think... "today I'm gonna shoot a video, let's take this dslr", the day after.. "today I'm gonna shoot some stills, let's take a blackmagic"!

The reason you would use a 4K video camera to capture stills is to capture 30 raw photos per second and have more choice in the editorial. No DSLR can shoot 30 photos per second at this time.