Nikon Z6ii and Z7ii are to shoot 4k blackmagic Raw 60 fps

Danyyyel

Every camera has pros and cons.

BRaw external for Nikon Z6, Z6 II is great. Problem for me is not the external recorder. BMPCC 4K, 6K have BRaw internal but can you use them without external monitor ? Not really. Nikon Z6, Z6 II with Blackmagic Video Assist 12G 5'' will be a smaller and lighter setup, not to mention that you get also a great photo camera, Full Frame out of the box, in body image stabilization, very good and compact EVF and much better auto focus in video.  Can put the recorder in a bag on  my side and have a HDMI cable  hanging from the camera. No such big deal if want to be as much unnoticeable as possible.

Problem is that Z6 with Ninja V line skips in ProRes RAW. And will most likely do the same with Blackmagic video assist. According to initial reviews Z6 II line skips as well. Another problem was that when recording externally you loose EVF on Z6. If Nikon solved those problems in Z6 II and with Blackmagic recorders, I am in.

Agree that 10bit 4:2:2 is perfectly OK for most. But it has it price too. Usually it is x264 encoded, which is more difficult to edit in Resolve, while BRaw cuts like butter. So am willing to use a recorder anyway. It saves me time in post and it is nice to have 5 inch monitor. Prefer this setup most of the time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, stephen said:

BMPCC 4K, 6K have BRaw internal but can you use them without external monitor ? Not really.

The answer is yes, because I do and I have seen others using the camera with the internal monitor.  Yes its hard to see in daylight, but only with bright sunshine.  I use a viewfinder that attached to the screen via magnets when it gets too tricky.  Plus a sunshade when fully rigged. 

Initially also used BMPCC 4K back LCD screen. But it is very uncomfortable to shoot with extended hands with and combo that weights 1.7Kg (BMPCC 4K + Speedbooster + Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 + ND filter). Also as you said, almost impossible to see in a sunny day. Tried viewfinder as well. Much better but still not optimal. And ended with external monitor. For run and gun it is the best option by far. Can hold the camera at waist level close to the body, no strain on hands muscles, monitor is quite bright (1700Nits) and viewable in bright day light. Monitor is permanently attached to the camera and it weights 500g more but again will gladly hold them at waist level close to my body, rather then with extended hands at 30sm in front of me.

If you shoot on a tripod or mono pod, then yes LCD screen + viewfinder (kinotechnik) is OK. So it depends how and what you shoot. From what I see on youtube most of the people use external monitor. Which is my experience and preference too.

1 hour ago, stephen said:

Initially also used BMPCC 4K back LCD screen. But it is very uncomfortable to shoot with extended hands with and combo that weights 1.7Kg (BMPCC 4K + Speedbooster + Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 + ND filter). Also as you said, almost impossible to see in a sunny day. Tried viewfinder as well. Much better but still not optimal. And ended with external monitor. For run and gun it is the best option by far. Can hold the camera at waist level close to the body, no strain on hands muscles, monitor is quite bright (1700Nits) and viewable in bright day light. Monitor is permanently attached to the camera and it weights 500g more but again will gladly hold them at waist level close to my body, rather then with extended hands at 30sm in front of me.

I'm sure plenty do use an external monitor, but equally plenty like me use the internal monitor.  I can hold on the camera easily with speedbooster and a 24 to 105 lens.  With viewfinder, I've shot handheld footage and not felt uncomfortable.   

I may look at an external monitor next year.  But I want it to be low profile and not weighing too much.  However I'd still use the internal monitor.  Its quite clear for me indoors and cloudy days.   

My biggest issue for the P4K is wet weather rather than the monitor.

On 11/8/2020 at 7:12 AM, SteveV4D said:

I'm sure plenty do use an external monitor, but equally plenty like me use the internal monitor.  I can hold on the camera easily with speedbooster and a 24 to 105 lens.  With viewfinder, I've shot handheld footage and not felt uncomfortable.   

I may look at an external monitor next year.  But I want it to be low profile and not weighing too much.  However I'd still use the internal monitor.  Its quite clear for me indoors and cloudy days.   

My biggest issue for the P4K is wet weather rather than the monitor.

An atomos Shinobi is super light but of course you have to power it. Smaller NPF batteries don't add much weight though. 

I can go no monitor with something that has a tilt screen though its still a pain in the ass on Sunny days. I hate using the Pocket without a monitor though. That lack of tilting screen kills me. 

I wonder if Z6ii new sensor will allow AF to work with external recording in BRAW. It was almost unusable in N-Log on older model (i sold it for that reason). I know manual focus is what pros do, but if I want manual focus and BRAW I would use rigged bmpcc. 

It would be very nice if is somewhat reliable...

• 1 month later...

I just got the Blackmagic video assist to test out on my Nikon Z6 that has been raw upgraded I've been using the Ninja v for a long time but so far I'm liking the video assist more

I always transcoded the prores raw to prores 4444 XQ to keep the 12bit and to make it work in DaVinci (I've had some people tell me I'm cheating because I'm not working RAW but I love working with the footage and my clients have never complained)

I'm really looking forward to working with b-raw and skipping Apple compressor app

I'm still on the learning stage of it though I just got the recorder a day ago