How to remove shadows on dslr sony a5100

luiz fonseca

Hello everyone!
Two weeks ago I bought a Sony a5100 with 16-50 lenses (Model SELP1650), but when I started filming I noticed shadows around the image.
I researched forums about the problem, and saw that it could be an effect called 'vignette'.
I shoot with the setting 1/80 F5.6 and ISO around 400 to 600 (with 3 lamps of 60w in a room of 3 meters by 3 meters)
and I was recommended to set the camera to 1/60 F11 and a higher ISO (around 2000)
I put this setting, but with the ISO increased, the image is very saturated.
Is there any other solution to remove these shadows?
The camera is very good, and the focus is fast, but this problem with "shadows" (or "vignettes") is putting an end to my filming.

The image below is part of a shot on a white wall
Configurations: 1/80 F5.6 and ISO around 400 to 600 (with 3 60w lamps in a 3 meter by 3 meter room)

IMAGEM.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi there, @luiz fonseca

I own both an a5100 and a Sony SELP 16-50 lens.

Yes, the dark parts in corners of your image look like vignetting.

The bad news is the Sony 16-50 SELP lens is not very good. Although it can be ok when you have the aperture around f/5.6 or f/7.1.

I would NOT use the aperture at f/11. It will make the image soft (look up the word "diffraction" to understand why).

I don't think using an aperture of f/11 and an iso 2000 would make the image look "saturated." It probably makes the image look quite noisy.

If you do not need a zoom lens, then the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 lens is very good. It is an older lens (about four years old???), and it costs about US  $110 used. It is very sharp. But it is a prime lens, so it does not zoom. Also, the 16-50 lens has stabilization built in to the lens (Sony calls it optical steady shot, or OSS). The Sigma 30mm f/2.8 does not have stabilization).

So, for about the same price, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 has better image (sharper image, less vignetting, better contrast), but the 16-50 is more versatile (it is a prime lens and it has some stabilization).

One more thought.

If you are filming against a bright white background, vignetting will be more noticeable. 

On the other hand, if the background has different brightness levels, then the vignetting might be less noticeable.

Also, with the Sony 16-50mm lens, I think there is less vignetting as you zoom closer to 50mm. 

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Have YOU ever had corner shadows??  I don't think so!!  IF you ever did then you'd understand the IMMEDIATE REQUIREMENT to get AS MUCH advice AS POSSIBLE!!!  This is a COMPLETELY NATURAL RESPONSE!!!  THE HUMANITY!!!!!1!!!1!!

On 5/29/2020 at 5:19 AM, luiz fonseca said:

Hello everyone!
Two weeks ago I bought a Sony a5100 with 16-50 lenses (Model SELP1650), but when I started filming I noticed shadows around the image.
I researched forums about the problem, and saw that it could be an effect called 'vignette'.
I shoot with the setting 1/80 F5.6 and ISO around 400 to 600 (with 3 lamps of 60w in a room of 3 meters by 3 meters)
and I was recommended to set the camera to 1/60 F11 and a higher ISO (around 2000)
I put this setting, but with the ISO increased, the image is very saturated.
Is there any other solution to remove these shadows?
The camera is very good, and the focus is fast, but this problem with "shadows" (or "vignettes") is putting an end to my filming.

The image below is part of a shot on a white wall
Configurations: 1/80 F5.6 and ISO around 400 to 600 (with 3 60w lamps in a 3 meter by 3 meter room)

IMAGEM.png

Your best bet is to google for "vignette correction" or something like that, along with the name of your editing software.

I also would increase the exposure using either your camera settings or lighting.