Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

45 minutes ago, amweber21 said:

It's definitely the more expensive option all said and done.. Rack plus m.2 enclosure was $128, shipping was $49, and the sabrent 1TB drive was $130.

Yeah that's a bit pricey, but it's better than the equivalent cost of SD cards... obviously not to mention the bump in resolution you get using the drive. Can you purchase two enclosures and one rack? I doubt I'd ever need any more than 50 minutes of footage in one day, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have two set ups. I bought a SmallRig enclosure the other day but I haven't ordered the drive or the cold shoe attachment for it yet. One of each could probably do. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I got one of those hotshoe phone holders, and put a T5 drive in it.

But my favourite solution is velcro on the top of the LVF11, and on the T5. With a bit of cable management, you barely notice it's there. This setup with a 35mm 2.8 Canon FD lens is a lot of fun to shoot with. Add a pistol grip for even more points.

Cool set up! How do you like the FD lenses with the FP? I like the smaller adapter. I'm probably going to buy an M-mount lens to keep the camera nice and small. 

25 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah that's a bit pricey, but it's better than the equivalent cost of SD cards... obviously not to mention the bump in resolution you get using the drive. Can you purchase two enclosures and one rack? I doubt I'd ever need any more than 50 minutes of footage in one day, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have two set ups. I bought a SmallRig enclosure the other day but I haven't ordered the drive or the cold shoe attachment for it yet. One of each could probably do. 

You're right, it is. I probably should have gone that route before I got a $200+ V90 card. It's nice having 8bit raw internally but only 20 minutes of record time always makes me nervous, haha.

Yes, you can get multiple enclosures and they have different colors too. Different style racks too, one a bit bigger with a cold shoe on top, another made to use with the Sigma evf. All use the same enclosures though.

47 minutes ago, amweber21 said:

You're right, it is. I probably should have gone that route before I got a $200+ V90 card. It's nice having 8bit raw internally but only 20 minutes of record time always makes me nervous, haha.

Yes, you can get multiple enclosures and they have different colors too. Different style racks too, one a bit bigger with a cold shoe on top, another made to use with the Sigma evf. All use the same enclosures though.

I need to mess around with the 8bit, internal raw a little more. I tested it for a few minutes and it seems to take a big hit in the highlights, but since the footage seems to handle underexposure pretty well, I could try protecting the poop out of them.

Thanks for the info regarding the DPL drives. I'll have to figure out my FB login and have a closer look.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I need to mess around with the 8bit, internal raw a little more. I tested it for a few minutes and it seems to take a big hit in the highlights, but since the footage seems to handle underexposure pretty well, I could try protecting the poop out of them.

Thanks for the info regarding the DPL drives. I'll have to figure out my FB login and have a closer look.

If you're dealing with moderate dynamic range shots, 8bit is actually great. I have no problem using it. Similar to an uncompressed 8bit tif file.

Like you, I'm only seeing it in the difference in the extreme highlights.

Sure thing. You can email them directly to make an order. Don't have to go through FB.

21 hours ago, amweber21 said:

If you're dealing with moderate dynamic range shots, 8bit is actually great. I have no problem using it. Similar to an uncompressed 8bit tif file.

Like you, I'm only seeing it in the difference in the extreme highlights.

Sure thing. You can email them directly to make an order. Don't have to go through FB.

I'm finding it's better to protect the highlights as much as possible with the FP, no matter the mode. But there is a lot of latitude which is making exposure a breeze. Between the center-weighted meter and the waveform, it seems near impossible not to get a workable shot.

That said, I still want to test out the 8bit raw mode a bit more and the 1080p, especially in higher frame rates. I like how it has a 48p option.

I had a look at the DPL products and they do look nice. I watch this guy named Justin Phillips on YouTube and he mentions them in one of his videos and it seems the drives get a little hot... have you noticed that with yours?

I'm also looking at a couple other brand SSD's... Kingston and Adata both make very small, external SSD drives and Sabrent has a small one called the Rocket Nano which is self-contained. I'm gonna have a go at those and make sure I'm happy with the camera before I send off for the DPL caddy/drive... even though that's probably where I'll end up. I want to keep this thing as compact as possible.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I'm finding it's better to protect the highlights as much as possible with the FP, no matter the mode. But there is a lot of latitude which is making exposure a breeze. Between the center-weighted meter and the waveform, it seems near impossible not to get a workable shot.

That said, I still want to test out the 8bit raw mode a bit more and the 1080p, especially in higher frame rates. I like how it has a 48p option.

I had a look at the DPL products and they do look nice. I watch this guy named Justin Phillips on YouTube and he mentions them in one of his videos and it seems the drives get a little hot... have you noticed that with yours?

I'm also looking at a couple other brand SSD's... Kingston and Adata both make very small, external SSD drives and Sabrent has a small one called the Rocket Nano which is self-contained. I'm gonna have a go at those and make sure I'm happy with the camera before I send off for the DPL caddy/drive... even though that's probably where I'll end up. I want to keep this thing as compact as possible.

You'll find the shadows do not hold up as well in 8 bit or 10 bit. But if you expose reasonably you'll be fine. 

• 9 months later...

Has anyone noticed that RAW debayers slightly differently in DaVinci Resolve when using different "Color" modes in-camera?

I was shooting some tests, in a controlled lighting situation, one clip I shot 12bit UHD DNG using "T&O" color mode. Then another clip with color mode set to "Off". Same subject no change in settings. When editing the "Off" clip, the colors were more muted, and white balance needed adjusting.

What could be happening here? I thought RAW was RAW. That any in-camera color settings shouldn't affect the RAW data.