Panasonic GX7 to feature video 'to GH3 standard' yet has in-body stabilisation!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Panasonic GX7

The Panasonic GX7 is looking genuinely exciting for filmmakers. It sits at the top of Panasonic's range and uses a different form factor to the DSLR-like GH3, in that it is in the mould of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera, original Panasonic GF1 and Sony NEX range.

The GX7 is rumoured to have some major features not seen in the GH3, such as an in-body stabilisation system and peaking. The sensor is said to be all-new as well and outperforms all the current mFT sensors for raw image quality.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10870/panasonic-gx7-to-feature-video-to-gh3-standard-yet-has-in-body-stabilisation]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Just a detail: the IBIS in the GX7 is not the 5-axis stabilization that the OM-D and the EP-5 have - it will be a 2-axis system, like the ones in the E-P1 to E-P3. Better than nothing, nonetheless.

Got a source for that? Cheers.

I really hope it measures up the OM-D in performance. Or Sony will grab sales with a full frame NEX system and Olympus 5 axis tech.

Might it be possible it works in conjunction with the OIS on Lumix lenses to offer the extra stabilisation?

This is the camera I have always wanted panasonic to create.  If this had come out when the omd em5 came out people would be going mental.  But peoples interest has been diluted by the other possible options.

Black magic pocket camera being the main one.   But for now that is still vapour ware due to black magic's reputation in delivering products.

(Although im sure you'll get one soon and for you it makes sense to get all these cams. But for people who can only really afford one $1000+ pocket camera these are in direct competition.)

but even if the poket cam ships in the millions, I think the GX7 beats it anyway on paper.   The black magic should have larger dynamic range, which is an important thing, but that is the only advantage.

The GX7 has a larger sensor for shallow depth of field at medium angle of view.

Wide angle will be a pain in the ass for the pocket camera: fast wide micro four thirds lenses will not be wide, and ultra wide lenses will only be normal wide and slow.

The Pocket camera doesn't have a veiwfinder which is important for stability and focusing.

pocket camera doesn't have image stabilization unless you use i.s. lenses.  the widest of which is 35mm equiv. with the GX7 you can use fast primes for handheld video.

And not to forget the high megapixel still capability.

I would rather get this and an active 4/3rds mount BMCC.

Of course the stills shooters are intrigued by the possibility of NEX full frame, and I don't blame them.   But even if Sony put sensor image stabilisation in a full frame NEX body.  The chances are that the video quality would still suck.  They don't want to canibalise the FS700 etc.

I hope with the onboard IBIS will take advantage of the OIS on the lens to make Hyrbid OIS+ as featured on their camcorder and DC

Don't know if Panasonic will use electronic or mechanical 2 axis during video recording.

BMPCC is for specific user who need greater DR and RAW capability, while GX7 is probably *The* pocket camera for the masses

Very interesting camera. If they can really put those features into it,I would be very likely to get one. I don't see a mic in port (nor a headphone jack ) and for that price I would expect one. (people are complaining about the lack of a headphone jack in the EOS M, which seems sort of lame to gripe about given that Canon is just about giving them away the M right now.

Is it on the side of the camera not being shown? And does it have the headphone jack as well as mic in?

The stabilization you show is quite remarkable. 

If the camera can really produce video that is on par with the GX3 that would be quite a travel camera. My EOS M footage and stills have been very good, but no better than a 7D, which is what it really is. For travel I have been ok with the results, especially stills, but would love to have better video quality, which is what I end up getting paid for. 

I'm certainly intrigued. If the image stabilization on this is as good as the Olympus video posted, and the IQ is as good as a G3, this would make a heck of an all rounder camera.  If metabones make an m42 mount speedbooster for me I think i'd be complete.

I really hope it measures up the OM-D in performance. Or Sony will grab sales with a full frame NEX system and Olympus 5 axis tech.

Might it be possible it works in conjunction with the OIS on Lumix lenses to offer the extra stabilisation?

I think that 43rumors itself reported in earlier rumors that it's a normal IBIS, not the 5-axis from Olympus.

_____

Olympus IBIS is really awesome and that do wonders for both photography and videography, it allows you to use legacy lenses with IS and for video it's like a Steadicam but with no rig! I was really impressed with one of the reviews posted at 43rumors, the guy managed to get a sharp image with the shutter at 1.6s with no tripod, just his hands! And Sony will get all of that, just like that.

It's hard to choose like that! hahaha... I do have a NEX but my patience has long been gone because of the lack of commitment from Sony towards the lenses so I'm just waiting to jump boat. Before choosing NEX, at the time, I was considering m4/3 but Sony came up with 1080p60/24 in a AVCHD 2.0 codec way before Panasonic and there was no OM-D at the time, so got myself a NEX and I've been using legacy lenses since then - I really wanted to take some advantage from AF sometimes!

Now I'm really hoping that Fuji can add manual control and 1080p24 for video. It does seen like a long shot, but Fuji is picking up in an astonishing pace. They aded Focus Peaking before m4/3, they were quite quick for 1080p60, Wi-Fi and even on sensor PDAF. Having the 1080p60 on the X100s gave me hopes that they can take the next step. I know that Fuji won't have the best video and I don't expect that but Fuji's IQ is just awesome and the Iridient software just shows the real potential of Fuji's X-Trans sensor - while many doubted their sharpness as if it was some kind of magic from Fuji and their JPEG like no one could replicate.

But now it's really difficult because I don't expect Fuji to have this awesome Olympus-like IBIS, but that partnership with Panasonic promisses an even better sensor with Micro Color Splitter AND Organic Sensor. While Sony will keep their own track sensor-wise PLUS, now they have access to the Olympus' IBIS AND lenses expertise. Should I stick with NEX? Should I go for Fuji? Or even m4/3? As I can wait, I will but this is a very exciting times nonetheless.

No source, just rumours published in a lot of sites. It is already surprising that Panasonic offers a body with sensor stabilization, since their path was always OIS.

And since they already have a video-focused flagship (the GH3), I guess that the emphasis in this one will be fotography. It will probably have 1080p in 60, 30 and 24 fps, but I guess that in bitrates very close to the G6. And attractive package, but that will not surpass GH3 in video. As I said, all personal guesses.

I think that 43rumors itself reported in earlier rumors that it's a normal IBIS, not the 5-axis from Olympus.

Yep, it's been stated a couple times on 43rumors:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-small-rumor-the-name-is-gx7/

http://www.43rumors.com/gx7-image-and-specs-roundup-do-you-like-the-design/

Hmm that would be really cool, but so far the suggestion for people with Olympus bodies mounting Panasonic lenses was to turn off either the the lens stabilization or the in-body stabilization because both would work against each other, apparently 'not being aware' of each other. I don't have an Olympus body, but at one point was curious what would happen if the Olympus IBIS was combined with the Panasonic lens O.I.S. and learned that they can't operate together.

If Panasonic could 'sync' the two stabilizers, this would presumably require firmware updates for all the O.I.S. lenses? Since it seems that the lens stabilization would just operate on its own even when mounted on Olympus bodies. At least that's my guess, that the lens and the body don't communicate regarding the lens stabilizer beyond switching it on or off and choosing different operation modes.

• Administrators

It's been stated a couple times on 43rumors:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-small-rumor-the-name-is-gx7/

http://www.43rumors.com/gx7-image-and-specs-roundup-do-you-like-the-design/

I don't have an Olympus body, but at one point was curious what would happen if the Olympus IBIS was combined with the Panasonic lens O.I.S. and learned that they can't operate together.

If Panasonic could 'sync' the two stabilizers, this would presumably require firmware updates for all the O.I.S. lenses?

Interesting point.

I have the latest OIS lens from Panasonic, with their latest OIS technology - the new 14-140mm. Tried it on the OM-D just now and the OIS does indeed interfere with the IBIS and it is shaky so you need to use only one or the other.

Hopefully this won't be the case with the GX7 but it will still have the advantage of stabilising non OIS lenses like the 20mm pancake and SLR Magic stuff.

I will be disappointed if panasonic doesn't fix focus peaking in the gh3...

Many of us are disappointed about the lack of focus peaking on the GH3. It was a deal breaker for me and I imagine many others. 

Panasonic have said openly at least twice in articles I've read online that the GH3 can not be upgraded with peaking. Sad but true.