Jump to content
androidlad

Sony Semicon develops 100MP FF sensor with 6K video

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, androidlad said:

IMX555.thumb.jpg.4e666ba99612d89c9e6f51817c73db1b.jpg

 

2.91um pixel architecture, 100MP @ 10fps, 6K video using 12bit ADC with on-chip binning/line-skipping. 4K RGB 4:4:4 video with on-chip colour-aware binning.

I am guessing this has a 2nd page too. Mayne you could share that for more details about the sensor. Looks pretty kickass. Especially with the 16-bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity: we know that the current bottleneck are not Sony's sensora, but the tiny body housing the LSI and CPU. Would our resident gear critique panel be outraged if Sony released another generation based on the same old 42mpx body and "merely" using it to it's full potential?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Pointless 100mp on a small sensor. I wish they would rather work on full well capacity or something else that gives more dynamic range.

Sony has some of the most talented sensor architects, how much do you know? 😉

The diagram above is exactly one of many innovative designs to improve sensitivity and dynamic range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, androidlad said:

Sony has some of the most talented sensor architects, how much do you know?

I know that Sony's sensor architects don't deliver movies.  But I can see some value to a 100mpix sensor for stills.

I have to agree with @Nikkor though, I'd love to see them continue to improve dynamic range and rolling shutter in their consumer line more than resolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Towd said:

I know that Sony's sensor architects don't deliver movies.  But I can see some value to a 100mpix sensor for stills.

I have to agree with @Nikkor though, I'd love to see them continue to improve dynamic range and rolling shutter in their consumer line more than resolution.

It's interesting that people simply assume high resolution sensors have less dynamic range and worse rolling shutter.

I'll post more info when I'm allowed to, but for now I can say when normalised to 4K, this 100MP sensor performs better than A7 III in terms of dynamic range, sensitivity (QE) and readout speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, androidlad said:

It's interesting that people simply assume high resolution sensors have less dynamic range and worse rolling shutter.

I'll post more info when I'm allowed to, but for now I can say when normalised to 4K, this 100MP sensor performs better than A7 III in terms of dynamic range, sensitivity (QE) and readout speed.

With The Same Technology applied to large and to small Sensors, guess which one will have larger full well capacity and less rolling shutter.

100MP is total overkill for fullframe, when will you See diffraction? F5.6? Will they build in a focus stacking program for landscapes? Moving the ibis back and forth, using phase detection pixels to make a depthmap? I know they are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nikkor said:

With The Same Technology applied to large and to small Sensors, guess which one will have larger full well capacity and less rolling shutter.

100MP is total overkill for fullframe, when will you See diffraction? F5.6? Will they build in a focus stacking program for landscapes? Moving the ibis back and forth, using phase detection pixels to make a depthmap? I know they are not.

What's the obsession with per-pixel FWC? Don't forget the pixels sit on a 36x24mm sensor, smaller pixels don't collect any less light, it's just there are more of them doing the same thing.

this 100MP 2.91um pixel has a FWC of 32800e-, if we do a 2x2 binning and use it as a 25MP sensor, the FWC increases to 131200e-, which is significantly higher than 24MP A7 III 95764e-.

Regarding diffraction, f/5.6 is a theoretical value yes, but in reality it's not clear cut like that https://fstoppers.com/education/5ds-f11-and-confusing-circles-68177

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, androidlad said:

What's the obsession with per-pixel FWC? Don't forget the pixels sit on a 36x24mm sensor, smaller pixels don't collect any less light, it's just there are more of them doing the same thing.

Yeah, but in the spec you posted it says it does 6k readout through pixel binning/sub sampling.  So it's throwing away data that could have been preserved.  

It just looks more like a chip designed by a marketing department than something to serve the needs of filmmakers.  Granted it's for consumer devices and megapixels sell cameras, so it's not like I'm surprised. 

My experience has been that engineers have very little experience with end user needs, and that was my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Towd said:

Yeah, but in the spec you posted it says it does 6k readout through pixel binning/sub sampling.  So it's throwing away data that could have been preserved.  

I just looks to me more like a chip designed by a marketing department than something to serve the needs of filmmakers.  Granted it's for consumer devices and megapixels sell cameras, so it's not like I'm surprised. 

My experience has been that engineers have very little experience with end user needs, and that was my point.

It's a sensor designed for stills camera with video capability, and the key video spec is 4K RGB 444 with 3x3 colour-aware binning, nothing is thrown away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color aware binning that doesn't throw out data.  Sounds cool.  Would love to read the white paper on how they bin the data without throwing anything away.

In the meantime my point stands that a lower megapixel sensor with the same capabilities would be more useful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Towd said:

Color aware binning that doesn't throw out data.  Sounds cool.  Would love to read the white paper on how they bin the data without throwing anything away.

In the meantime my point stands that a lower megapixel sensor with the same capabilities would be more useful.  

Yeah there's a 61MP 3.76um FF in the works.

100MP will be the cap for Sony FF sensor as Sony claims that their FF lenses "are designed to resolve 100MP".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...