Jump to content
Snowbro

When Will Camera Companies Make HDR Video Like This?

Recommended Posts

This is about the 10-bit video. For some reason Sony isn't able to advertise enough features of its smartphones and also the pricing, advertisement and refinement seem little off. Like if it had like 100mbps, this could have been a monster. 

https://www.sonymobile.com/in/legal/testresults/xperia-xz2/#gref

 

The S10 video looks promising, but how good it is, is something we'll have to wait for. Btw I am noticing that Samsung is delaying and underplaying specs and features on the S10 lineup, including sensor and other specs. Which is a little suspicious. Either they're looking to make things superb video firmware or everything is not as stellar as it should be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

IMG_0024.thumb.JPG.cf3dbc3d1857e60040b2767599b37127.JPG

Well as far as I can tell the iPhone XS, which I have, actually does frame combining where as the Galaxy S10 Only has a new screen that shows HDR10 which the iPhone X that I traded in already had that screen. 

The S10 has a HDR10+ screen and is the first smartphone to be HDR10+ certified. So I’m certain your old iPhone doesn’t have this screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it does have the screen because I have been able to see HDR stuff since my iPhone X. I don't know what HDR10+ is? Well I found out what it is, it is a half assed attempt by Samsung to come out with a lesser 10 bit instead of 12 bit standard. Samsung is trying to pull a Sony LoL. And no I don't really want their screen.

From Wired Magazine.

"Both phones support Apple's True Tone display, and support Dolby Vision and HDR10. Their displays aren't just Retina displays; they're super Retina, Apple says—the same screens found on last year's iPhone X."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think it does have the screen because I have been able to see HDR stuff since my iPhone X. I don't know what HDR10+ is? Well I found out what it is, it is a half assed attempt by Samsung to come out with a lesser 10 bit instead of 12 bit standard. Samsung is trying to pull a Sony LoL. And no I don't really want their screen.

From Wired Magazine.

"Both phones support Apple's True Tone display, and support Dolby Vision and HDR10. Their displays aren't just Retina displays; they're super Retina, Apple says—the same screens found on last year's iPhone X."

No, HDR10+ added dynamic metadata. HDR10 can only do static metadata for tone mapping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

No, HDR10+ added dynamic metadata. HDR10 can only do static metadata for tone mapping.

You do know that Samsung supplies the Amoled screens that Apple uses?

The new S10 has 1200 nits brightness vs 700ish of the iPhone. Also 2 million to 1 contrast ratio vs 1 million to 1. 

The new screens on the S10 are Samsung’s most advanced mobile screens. Their most color accurate. Much better that anything they have ever produced. Certainly better than anything they have ever sold to Apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Is there a way to keep the HDR video running non-stop on the iphone xs? I tried one at the store and it would only kick on when there was an extreme contrast situation. 

Not that I have found. It is an Auto thing and I have no clue why and when it sees fit to do it? But to be able to do it on the fly must take some amazing processing to do it up to 4K 30p. It not only has to do it, it has to decide when to do it. Amazing stuff available out now.

My XS is night and day better photo and video wise, and even stabilization is better than my X was. And every app runs faster. It is like it is in Warp Drive LoL.

This was taken with my XS. I think that is some pretty serious DR and detail for a Phone.

IMG_0118.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Not that I have found. It is an Auto thing and I have no clue why and when it sees fit to do it? But to be able to do it on the fly must take some amazing processing to do it up to 4K 30p. It not only has to do it, it has to decide when to do it. Amazing stuff available out now.

My XS is night and day better photo and video wise, and even stabilization is better than my X was. And every app runs faster. It is like it is in Warp Drive LoL.

I wonder if some apps like filmic pro can keep it enabled, they probably don't have access to it though. 

Watched a bunch of videos here and there on the iphone xs stabilization, it seems that the iphones still have a jello effect sometimes. It happens when you move faster than a slow walk from what I have seen. The s10 doesn't have that, but I watched a video of it at night and it does the same thing the gopro does. There is a weird shaking happening in lines at night from the digital IS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't really paid much attention to the s10. I might want to buy it LoL. So not really looked at what it can do. I am sure it is great. I have has a bunch of Samsung Note models. I have had 3 different Apple watches, have the series 4 now, so I have to sort of stay with Apple phones to use them. And I use Facetime for my grand kids. And there is a lot more Photo, Video apps for my iPad. So you sort of get stuck in a system.

I got pissed off with Last couple of Note phones I had. The swollen battery thing. That was a horror show. Took months to resolve both models of them. First they want to send you a new battery, then after that goes to shit they cave and send you a new phone, and Maybe a new battery for it. And then on the Note 7 they stopped even making the damn thing. Had to wait for the Note 8. F that! And they never even sent a sorry letter, or any money, or discount on shit.  I was done with Samsung after that. Happy as hell with the Note 2, and Note 4, but..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw that the s10 new stabilization mode (digital) is only available in 1080p. Not sure how the iphone xs & s10 4k video stabilization compare. I have watched a bunch of videos, but not that much has been covered with video yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

holy cow~! TWELVE STOPS??!! 😳

53 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Filmic pro tested & got 12 stops of DR with their profile on the XS & 9 stops on the S9. It will be interesting to see what the s10 will do, probably still lose tbh. 

https://www.cinema5d.com/filmic-logv2-first-look-12-stops-of-dynamic-range-on-your-new-iphone/

edit: omg is this real

iPhone-XS-Max-640x460.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a galaxy s8+, it didn't do 4k recording well. Got the iphone xs max yesterday; I found that it starts lagging while recording 4k 24p and panning. It seems like it doesn't have enough horsepower to process its stabilization with a pan or some other movements. There was a hissing noise while recording video, tried it in many scenarios. Lastly, the screen has a slight yellow tint, I turned off true tone and checked everything in the display accessibility. Tried changing the tint, but it ruins the brightness and messes up the color accuracy more. Screen was also much dimmer & lower contrast than it should be, compared to my older phone which was brighter? Apparently there are tons of threads on this & it might be from LG making some of the panels. Going to go return it and get the s10+. 

Tried the s10+ at the store yesterday; the phone seems pretty nice, but it still has more of a wobbly jello effect than the iphone sometimes. Tried recording in the HDR10+ mode, it was interesting. I noticed a little better DR and the colors were extremely vivid, not sure if I really like that. I wonder how hard it would be to convert that HDR10+ to a regular gamma so you can watch on other screens? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Had a galaxy s8+, it didn't do 4k recording well. Got the iphone xs max yesterday; I found that it starts lagging while recording 4k 24p and panning. It seems like it doesn't have enough horsepower to process its stabilization with a pan or some other movements. There was a hissing noise while recording video, tried it in many scenarios. Lastly, the screen has a slight yellow tint, I turned off true tone and checked everything in the display accessibility. Tried changing the tint, but it ruins the brightness and messes up the color accuracy more. Screen was also much dimmer & lower contrast than it should be, compared to my older phone which was brighter? Apparently there are tons of threads on this & it might be from LG making some of the panels. Going to go return it and get the s10+. 

Tried the s10+ at the store yesterday; the phone seems pretty nice, but it still has more of a wobbly jello effect than the iphone sometimes. Tried recording in the HDR10+ mode, it was interesting. I noticed a little better DR and the colors were extremely vivid, not sure if I really like that. I wonder how hard it would be to convert that HDR10+ to a regular gamma so you can watch on other screens? 

XS Max has the best colour accuracy of all phones to date, period. The white point is dead on at 6500K. Colour/greyscale DeltaE are all below 3.

The reason you think there's a slight yellow tint is because you're so used to seeing higher white point at around 7500K. Is your Samsung Galaxy display setting on "Adaptive" or any of the "AMOLED" mode? Only "Basic" gives you standard sRGB colours and most importantly D65 white point.

I'm sure the S10+ demo unit also had display settings with maxed out saturation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...