5K preview on Canon 5D2 ???

FilmMan

I've been periodically reading the Magic Lantern board out of interest.  I sold my 5d2 years back and bought the 1DC.  There was always something special about the 5d2.   Anyhow, for those interested Reddeercity from Magic Lantern seems to be making progress with the 5d2.

Reddeercity's post:

Looking in to the HDMI resolution limitations , if everyone doesn't know on the 5D2 the HDMI output @ 1650x1080 60i 4.2.2 uncompressed (1500MB/s)
It anyone wondering why the 5d2 has this res. when standard HDMI is normally 1920x1080 or 1280x720
From what I can figure out there was no need for 16x9 format (After all 5D2 was the first to introduce Video to DSLR's) as a second thought .
So the main object was Photo's and a 3x2 format was needed for photos in  Liveview  so hence 1650x1080 .

So I connected my HDMI Evf & loaded ADTG_GUI.mo  and saved a log file
So I may have found some reg's that control this . 

Code: [Select]

c0f11314: 4d70653 .... LiveViewMgr pc=ffa07c28 addr=ffca88e0 LV resolution (raw.j.height | lv.width) before upsampling?If you convert this to decimal you get 4d7=1239 & 653=1619  so 1619x1267 , look very close

Code: [Select]

c0f0713c:     4f5 ......  LiveViewMgr pc=ff8e1830 addr=8328 HEAD3 timer (ticks?)
c0f07150:     681 ..... LiveViewMgr pc=ff8e1844 addr=8370 HEAD4 timer (ticks?)convert this to decimal  4f5=1269 & 681=1665 so 1665x1269
I could be totally wrong but that so close , now there's more then likely more reg's evolved here , it could be the hd buffer is the limitation.

There a few reason why I what to hopfully fix this issue , 
First: to get real full 1920x1080 so it would be usable without resizing .
Second: the HDMI spec 1.3a allowed up to 2560×1440 at 60 Hz & 1920 × 1080 at 120 Hz 
Since there's 4k monitor's & recorder out there and getting cheaper everyday, well I thinks it time to look in to this to see it it's possible .

Edit: Ok I forgot to mention the hdmi 1.3a supports 8bit(24 bit/px) , 10bit(30 bit/px), 12bit(36 bit/px), 16bit(48 bit/px) up to 2560x1440 60i
Color Space: RGB, Y′CBCR 4:4:4 & Y′CBCR 4:2:2
and apparently hdmi 1.3a supports UHD 8bit(24 bit/px) 3840x2160 30p 4.2.2 & 60p @4.2.0 and also 5k 8bit(24 bit/px) 5120 × 2880 30p 4.2.2 
Maybe there's hope yet for real-time hdmi UHD up to 5k preview 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I thought the buffer on the Canon 5D mk II sucked ass?? That would limit a lot of stuff. All the data is not just coming off the Sensor and going straight to the HDMI or Card.

And yeah the HDMI spec back then was Way better than Card spec. Still is today for the most part. That is why most modern stuff is 10 bit out, not in camera. In body heat comes into that also.

Cheaper to buy a Atomos Ninja V with a cheap SSD than a bunch of high spec 512gb SD, CFast cards LoL.

Reddeercity post today...

I should mention that the 5D2 HDMI signal is 8bit 4.2.2 Full range (0-255) , Check it on my AJA Kona LHi video capture card .
So by this theoretically  "UHD 8bit(24 bit/px) 3840x2160 30p 4.2.2" would be in the realm of possibility . 
Here's hoping 

17 minutes ago, FilmMan said:

Reddeercity post today...

I should mention that the 5D2 HDMI signal is 8bit 4.2.2 Full range (0-255) , Check it on my AJA Kona LHi video capture card .
So by this theoretically  "UHD 8bit(24 bit/px) 3840x2160 30p 4.2.2" would be in the realm of possibility . 
Here's hoping 

Dont get too excited, reddercity is brute forcing the registers in the past couple of years, and technically never archieved anything. The other forum members developed the new features from reddercity's findings . And unfortunetaly less developer using 5D2 every year.

But let's hope for the best

17 hours ago, Deadcode said:

Dont get too excited, reddercity is brute forcing the registers in the past couple of years, and technically never archieved anything. The other forum members developed the new features from reddercity's findings . And unfortunetaly less developer using 5D2 every year.

But let's hope for the best

What is your impression of how transferrable things like this are?

I read the ML forums for a while and saw some instances of where figuring something out on one camera helped to solve it on other models, but I'm not sure if these were isolated instances or if this was more the norm.

If so, perhaps these findings might apply to the 5D3 and maybe 5D4?

4 hours ago, kye said:

What is your impression of how transferrable things like this are?

I read the ML forums for a while and saw some instances of where figuring something out on one camera helped to solve it on other models, but I'm not sure if these were isolated instances or if this was more the norm.

If so, perhaps these findings might apply to the 5D3 and maybe 5D4?

5D2 is using Digic 4 processor 5D3 is using Digic 5.Everything that is possible with the Mark II is possible with the Mark III.

5D4 is not hacked yet. Yes, A1ex was able to run his code on the 5D4 (just like with the EosR) but he is not owning one, so he cannot continue the progress.

Until one of the skilled hackers own at least one newer (Digic7+) cameras we can not expect any progress.