Best tripod legs for under $500?

amsh89es335

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, amsh89es335 said:

Thanks but  which one? 

What size bowl do you use. 75mm or 100mm? Or maybe you don't use one at all. 75mm is what i have. 2 of them. Both Manfrotto's. I don't really recommend them LoL. Too fragile in the long run. My Carbon Fiber one is crazy heavy, and a pain in the ass to set up. But once it is set up I think I could sit on the damn thing LoL.

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

What size bowl do you use. 75mm or 100mm? Or maybe you don't use one at all. 75mm is what i have. 2 of them. Both Manfrotto's. I don't really recommend them LoL. Too fragile in the long run. My Carbon Fiber one is crazy heavy, and a pain in the ass to set up. But once it is set up I think I could sit on the damn thing LoL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinten-Pozi-Loc-Tripod-Legs-75-mm-Bowl-Black-Tripod-Spreader/152378616307?hash=item237a7929f3:g:AC4AAOSw~XpZVlJ~:rk:46:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EU-SELLER-Broadcast-Vinten-Vision-Tripod-Legs-Only-used/322924338791?hash=item4b2fca5e67:g:lC0AAOSw9gRaJwMP

This Miller is a damn nice one. But I do like Vinten equipment for the money. Sachtler is the best, but way out of our price range for anything worth having from them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-DS-Aluminum-2-Stage-Tripod-Legs-75mm-w-Spreaders/192341404960?hash=item2cc870ed20:g:DvIAAOSwKUxZlsqy:rk:42:pf:0

That top one from Vinten is a 1000 dollar tripod new if it is the one I think it is. Great buy for that one. The second Vinten is not as good of one as the top one..

Although I don't like the ones with the spreader on the ground as well as the ones mid way up. The bottom ones are stronger, nearly all ENG cameras use them. But they are harder to move quickly. You have to bend over to pull up the spreader, and in the dirt, sand they get damn dirty easy.

13 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I've been thinking about buying these legs:

https://www.came-tv.com/collections/video-tripod/products/came-tv-aluminum-tripod-max-load-55-lbs

Anybody have experience with them?

I doubt that design style would be as stable compared to the normal ENG type. You are totally dependent on the locking mechanism at the base of the cradle for stability..

But Came-TV makes good stuff. The things I have bought from them have been top notch. The price is not bad either for new for that much weight capacity.

But there is not much worse than a shitty tripod for video. But if they have a hook you can hang a weight off the bottom of the cradle and help a piss poor one a reasonable amount. I use a gallon jug of water at times. When you are finished you can just pour out the water or throw the whole thing away. And you have water to wash the feet off or even drink LoL.

I have the Benro A373T legs, good if you want something lightweight but can still hold a lot of weight (55lb max)

Only thing I don't care for is the twist locks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SZLR91/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=makspo-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B073SZLR91&linkId=848805fbe52afe41d21a747cff6c0095 

3 hours ago, amsh89es335 said:

What are the best tripod legs for under $500 and can handle over 15lbs?

What environment are you shooting in and what head are you using and how are you using it? For a static shot inside anything will work but  outside in windy conditions, with long lenses and doing smooth pans on a good high friction fluid head then you will need something very sturdy and $500 is unlikely to be enough unless you get a used bargin.

Benro is good. Have been reliable for years.

The older E-Image were really crap, impressive for the money at starts, completely fallen apart after a year or two (depending the use). I am reading better reviews for the newer ones though.

I decided that my next one will be tue Sachtler Flowtech. I am pondering about the Ace XL head or the FSB6. I am not even sure I need something good as the FSB, but the Ace feels cheap to the feel, and use. It all depends on my next camera buy. If I am buying a bigger camera (C100mkIII) then I should go for the FSB, If I am buying just the pocket, then the Ace should do the job.

Edit: not friend of Manfrotto. Some are ok for the money though.

@IronFilm it is 133$, just buy it already!

On the other hand, I am just _ _ that close to bite the bullet for the CS-1M!!

28 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Benro is good. Have been reliable for years.

The older E-Image were really crap, impressive for the money at starts, completely fallen apart after a year or two (depending the use). I am reading better reviews for the newer ones though.

I decided that my next one will be tue Sachtler Flowtech. I am pondering about the Ace XL head or the FSB6. I am not even sure I need something good as the FSB, but the Ace feels cheap to the feel, and use. It all depends on my next camera buy. If I am buying a bigger camera (C100mkIII) then I should go for the FSB, If I am buying just the pocket, then the Ace should do the job.

Edit: not friend of Manfrotto. Some are ok for the money though.

I've got the Flowtech 75 and it's amazing. It's so quick to set up and adjust the height it changes the way you work and it's got incredible stiffness and torsional integrity for using with a fluid head. I've also got the FSB4 but although it's very well engineered it's fluid action is not the greatest and could do with another notch up of friction if you want to do smooth pans with longer focal lengths.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:36 PM, Kisaha said:

Heh, well it is camera gear (not sound), so really trying hard to avoid spending any money there. 

On 11/4/2018 at 9:36 PM, Kisaha said:

Don't do it! Is a luxury item for you, not a tool.