Vimeo - Now Plays 'Auto' Quality Only

User

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cinegain, Kaylee, much obliged and thank you for confirming functionality on your sides.

It's like you suggested Cinegain, hitting play while in auto and then switching to 2k on the fly works. Never had this issue before.

Wtf Vimeo?

Every time I see a link to a Vimeo video my stomach sinks.  I've never been able to play them smoothly, even with an internet connection that can stream multiple 4K files from YT while the Xbox is on.  The poll that Andrew started shows others have the same issue.

In a way you're right @zerocool22 - they are completely different audiences.  This is actually a bad thing when combined with the above.. we have YT that streams smoothly but the content is mostly interruptible, and then Vimeo where the content is something you want to wash over you so you can be transported to the emotional place that the film-maker is taking you to, but in reality I just get waves of anger wash over me as the F*@#$ING thing just won't play properly.

The best outcome (from my perspective) is that YT should buy Vimeo, and automatically transfer all the content across to be encoded in 4K and served properly.

I gotta say, I never had any issues playing on vimeo on any device(and I have been on Vimeo for 7 years or so). So not sure what the problem is.

Youtube encodings sucks, the ads suck, most of the content sucks it seemes more aimed to influencers and vloggers, clickbait titles and thumbnails, youtube is also too strict blocking anything nude or anything copyrighted, I do like youtubes free upload policy but it comes with ads.

17 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I gotta say, I never had any issues playing on vimeo on any device(and I have been on Vimeo for 7 years or so). So not sure what the problem is.

Youtube encodings sucks, the ads suck, most of the content sucks it seemes more aimed to influencers and vloggers, clickbait titles and thumbnails, youtube is also too strict blocking anything nude or anything copyrighted, I do like youtubes free upload policy but it comes with ads.

Would membership be a variable?  If you're a paying member maybe you get streaming priority or something?

My household has a family YT Red account so I don't get ads, yeah, they were definitely annoying as hell.

4 hours ago, kye said:

but in reality I just get waves of anger wash over me as the F*@#$ING thing just won't play properly

These jokers have had forever to get things right. Myself, I imagine Vimeo's top floor corner office... the door opens slowly to reveal a short fat hairy man in frumpy slacks, no shirt or shoes; playing paddleball. Little else.

That man in the corner office mailed me back:

Hello Vimeo Service Rep.

Why is it that when I now load one of my clips, and select a setting other that 'Auto,' the file won't play?

Both Chrome and Firefox, no success. It always worked before.

Thanks so much for reaching out to Vimeo.
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're facing with playback, and would love to assist you further!
Which setting are you setting to 'Auto'? Additionally, are you embedding the video, or playing it on your page? If you could also try clearing your cache, and let us know how you're getting on, we'll definitely work to get this resolved.
I look forward to hearing back from you!

Let's see how long this takes to go no where.