Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robin

festival Submissions

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/19/2018 at 2:10 PM, Raafi Rivero said:

There are infinite numbers of channels broadcasting the latest reality tv competition shows and a lot of good filmmakers hone their craft working on them, etc. But those types of shows don't provide a platform for filmmakers who want to be making feature films and aren't quite there yet. Film festivals (the good ones, at least) do. They help both the audience and the creative workers, albeit through imperfect means....For me a film is complete when it is seen by its audience, the better if that process can happen in a dark room with hundreds of people watching at the same time. Film festivals do that. The good ones.

Exactly this.  

The film festival I work with, "The Borrego Springs Film Festival," has pretty much decided our efforts are going to be basic, old-fashioned, and filmmaker centric.  We know the viewing experience is evolving away from four-walls and tub of popcorn --but damnit, there's still no better way to watch a film.  And there's no better way to watch your film being watched than in a dark room packed with a bunch of people.

We successfully offer this.  Simple and effective.  Some "festivals" can't even offer that fundamental experience!  If you're an aspiring filmmaker, getting into festival like ours is worth the effort.

55 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

So, I'm off to buy a projector, some garden chairs and a domain name and I'll be soon inviting entries for the Society of Cinematic Arts and Media Festival

Why bother with the projector?  The last festival I got into was "online screenings only" (totally missed that on the submission, but they got my dang money) 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

So, I'm off to buy a projector, some garden chairs and a domain name and I'll be soon inviting entries for the Society of Cinematic Arts and Media Festival

LOL!

But seriously, it is mildly tempting now and then to start up a film festival, HOWEVER I'd charge fair and reasonable entry fees which actually reflect the costs of such a low budget start up film festival. As it could be worthwhile just for the experience of running it, and the networking you'd create with a world of other filmmakers out there who you'd otherwise never get to really know. 

4 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

 

The film festival I work with, "The Borrego Springs Film Festival," has pretty much decided our efforts are going to be basic, old-fashioned, and filmmaker centric.  We know the viewing experience is evolving away from four-walls and tub of popcorn --but damnit, there's still no better way to watch a film.  And there's no better way to watch your film being watched than in a dark room packed with a bunch of people.

 We successfully offer this.  Simple and effective.  Some "festivals" can't even offer that fundamental experience!  If you're an aspiring filmmaker, getting into festival like ours is worth the effort.

Exactly! Like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

But seriously, it is mildly tempting now and then to start up a film festival, HOWEVER I'd charge fair and reasonable entry fees which actually reflect the costs of such a low budget start up film festival. As it could be worthwhile just for the experience of running it, and the networking you'd create with a world of other filmmakers out there who you'd otherwise never get to really know.

Yeah but there is probably a lot of Permits, Insurance, hidden fees, Portalets, food vendors on and on that cost a lot more money than you think. Here in America everyone is Sue crazy, so big time insurance is a must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fuzzynormal omg lol i looked it up and i forgot that BS is in SD county 😂 its huge ppl dont get that. like when I think of San Diego, where does it end....? no one rlly knows

does BS have "springs"? that sounds enticing.

did u know it snowed?? sometimes

Quote

Wiki: Although snow rarely falls in the lowlands, 6.5 inches fell in December 1967.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I read the Average temperature of 106.8 °F (41.6 °C) in July forget that LoL. Oh, but it is a dry heat. So is the Shara Desert!

 

Average January temperatures are a maximum of 69.0 °F (20.6 °C) and a minimum of 43.4 °F (6.3 °C). Average July temperatures are a maximum of 106.8 °F (41.6 °C) and a minimum of 74.9 °F (23.8 °C). There are an average of 172.6 days with highs of 90 °F (32 °C) or higher and an average of only 2.6 days with lows of 32 °F (0 °C) or lower. The record high temperature was 122 °F (50 °C) on June 25, 1990. The record low temperature was 20 °F (−7 °C) on January 5, 1971. Average annual precipitation is 6.13 inches (156 mm) and there are an average of 24 days with measurable precipitation. The wettest year was 1983 with 18.73 inches (476 mm) and the driest year was 1953 with 1.35 inches (34 mm). The most rainfall in one month was 8.78 inches (223 mm) in January 1993. The most rainfall in 24 hours was 2.46 inches (62 mm) on March 2, 1983. Although snow rarely falls in the lowlands, 6.5 inches fell in December 1967.[13]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Average January temperatures are a maximum of 69.0 °F (20.6 °C) and a minimum of 43.4 °F (6.3 °C).

ah, so in January when the festival happens its beautiful weather

someone should have a fest in the worst weather possible... or just some extreme conditions. its a good gimmick

some crazy shit like this

Igloos-view-from-air-Kakslauttanen-JPG.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kaylee said:

BS is in SD county 😂 its huge ppl dont get that. like when I think of San Diego, where does it end....? no one rlly knows

does BS have "springs"? that sounds enticing.

did u know it snowed?? sometimes

 

San Diego county actually ends about 10 miles from my front door.  It's a big county that stretches farther east than people realize; from the ocean to the desert.

Yes, there are numerous springs all over the mountains and Desert Bighorn Sheep (aka: "borrego" in Spanish) use them as a water source.  The springs also create waterfalls in the canyons.

Yes, it snows often at higher elevations numerous times during the winter.  We can see it from the valley.  White mountains with warm and sunny weather.  Not so bad.

In the summer I go swimming at the local pool when it's 120° outside.  It's surreal. You hop out of the pool and the water evaporates so fast you actually feel like you're freezing...in 120° weather.  That last about 30 seconds.

I once had to dig a trench in my back yard during an August monsoon to prevent flooding from entering my house.  Exciting!

DYK, BS is a dark sky community?  The mountains shield us from SoCal light pollution.  During new moon you can see the Milky Way with your naked eye.  Astronomy is a big deal out here. 

You guys probably can't imagine what's it's like out here right now.  Perfectly quiet and gently warm now that the sun is shadowed.  Light dappling the distant mountains and few magenta clouds wisp'ing through the sky.  

I'm sort of hoping that the BSFF will become popular simply as a fun vacation spot for filmmakers in the middle of the winter --for L.A. filmmakers and also for those from more inhospitable climates.  I mean, I think we're a neat little fest.  You can't really get more unpretentious than what we do.  Our winter community is a bunch of earnest cinephiles.  We aren't a festival for doing deals and networking per se, but we let filmmakers get their film viewed, always, with a full house and it's just a neat environment.  I mean, our "snow birds" come from all over the world during January, so the audience is surprisingly a mixed bunch.

Also, we don't pre-program our festival.  All submitted films run through the gauntlet of our selection committee.  We've only pre-programmed TWO films.  And that's only because those films were shot here in town.  All other films are rated by our committee and pulled directly from FilmFreeway submissions.  It's a very egalitarian process.  If a filmmaker submits, they have a good chance getting in.  Based on passed years it's essentially a 1 to 5 chance.

Basically I'm saying people should submit their films.

p.s. "No one really knows" sounds like a Donald Trump quote!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

San Diego county actually ends about 10 miles from my front door.  It's a big county that stretches farther east than people realize; from the ocean to the desert.

 

Wow that is crazy. San Diego county is 5 times bigger than Jacksonville county in Florida which is their biggest county. Sounds like a land grab LoL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I just looked it up, and San Bernardino County is 5 times bigger, the biggest in the Unites States, than San Diego County is. YIKES.

Well when they pass it to make it 3 states in California this fall which state you going to move to LoL??

My daughter lives in Los Obos. She said she would move to Oregon if it happened LoL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...