monitors

gethin

Dying dell 27" = new monitor time.  I currently have 2 monitors  - 4480 pixels wide in total.  I'm thinking about moving to a single 4k display.  Thing is to get the same dot pitch, thats a 40+ inch display, then you get issues of viewing corners. A 32 inch display means scaling the UI, something windows is still a bit crap at apparently. 

Anyone using a big arse display out there?  Or has also made the move to a finer dot pitch display that can tell me any pros and cons?

my shortlist:

LG 31MU97 ($1100 in aus at the mo)

BenQ SW320 (about $1750 on sale)

or that 43" philips monster

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was in the market for another monitor just before Chrimstmas, same as you, considering 32-34" (still not sold on the ultra wides), but the research had started while back. Finally, I just add a mediocre and dead cheap 27" 1440p with USB-C (so I can connect my laptop) and now I run 2 X 27" 1440p and one 40+ TV for customers, or additional monitor, and I am waiting for the technology to catch up, probably next year.

All very good suggestions, but I was thinking that a new monitor in 2018 should be true 10 bit, and 4K, and preferably HDR ready, but unfortunately that is not the case. I will be waiting them out! 

My next move will be probably an LG OLED in terms of monitoring, and I am following Atomos Sumo as well.

On 09/03/2018 at 9:40 PM, Kisaha said:

All very good suggestions, but I was thinking that a new monitor in 2018 should be true 10 bit, and 4K, and preferably HDR ready, but unfortunately that is not the case. I will be waiting them out! 

most of the panels are 10 but already aren't they?  I'm not sure its such a big deal as my graphics card it gtx1080 - 8 bit anyway. But yes proper hdr would be nice to future proof it a bit. 

I wonder if I got  one decent screen that I can calibrate for photography, and a 40 inch TV or monitor I could mount to the wall as my playback monitor for editing. 

THe ultrawide screens look cool for editing but tend to not be aimed at photographers - more at gamers. ALthough I see LG are bringing out a big ol 5K ultrawide but its Over $2K ouch.

3 hours ago, gethin said:

most of the panels are 10 but already aren't they?  I'm not sure its such a big deal as my graphics card it gtx1080 - 8 bit anyway. But yes proper hdr would be nice to future proof it a bit. 

I wonder if I got  one decent screen that I can calibrate for photography, and a 40 inch TV or monitor I could mount to the wall as my playback monitor for editing. 

THe ultrawide screens look cool for editing but tend to not be aimed at photographers - more at gamers. ALthough I see LG are bringing out a big ol 5K ultrawide but its Over $2K ouch.

Most of the panels are 8+2(=not real 10bit), even the very expensive ones.

https://www.144hzmonitors.com/monitors/lg-32uk950-34wk95u-34gk950g/ you are reffering to these ones. The 5K one is 1499$ pre order in B&H.

They are not going to be out until June.

TVs have very bad panels (if you consider that this LG is 34" and 1500$, while you can get a 55" 4K TV for 499$!).

As I said before, if you have the 1.5K to spend, better invest on the cheapest oled from LG (the 2017 models have exactly the same panels as this year and are 30-40% off) and avoid at all cost the 2018 introductory model (its a downgrade). OLED TVs are at their peak, while PC monitors just getting serious.

There are a few good middle solutions, with AV panels mostly (BenQ and others), around 32" and 1440p resolution, that do the job, do not cost a fortune, and will be perfect until the next wave reaches the specs and the price that makes sense.

The greatest buy at the moment is this Acer though https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824011158