Jump to content
webrunner5

New BMPCC is Not Happening any time soon!!!

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Snowfun said:

It is sort of possible to rig the micro into something approaching that? OK... possibly only a rough approximation but a micro plus VA or SmallHD is a compact unit albeit running from the Canon rather than Sony batteries.

I like some of the micro configurations I've seen with the VL35 monitor, but even that is a touch big for me. I wish there was some way to add an HDMI cord to one of those tiny Canon hotshoe EVFs. Or a GoPro LCD that could hinge to the top of a cage. I guess another option would be to attach a dummy battery to the back of the new Small HD Focus. Click that into the battery slot of the Micro. Then power the Micro with the Small HD Focus. I don't know... I guess I'm just really surprised that BM or a 3rd Party hasn't created a practical monitoring solution for the Micro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Snowfun said:

It is sort of possible to rig the micro into something approaching that? OK... possibly only a rough approximation but a micro plus VA or SmallHD is a compact unit albeit running from the Canon rather than Sony batteries.

And my point is, I wish they would design a camera that isn't ergonomically stupid, so we don't HAVE to rig it up just to make it work like a video camera. Of course there are rigs designed to add this type of functionality, but why should we have to buy $1k work of accessories just to make it functional? Or spend $5k+ on an UM4.6k? Yes, the Micro has a mount for a bigger battery on back, but they went with an LP-E6 instead of a camcorder battery, which I think is stupid, because you can get camcorder batteries in different capacities/sizes. If you want to use it as an action camera or on a gimbal/drone, just use one of the slimmer/lower capacity batteries, and if you want to shoot anything else, you can attach a larger battery that will last for more than 1-1.5 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2017 at 7:21 PM, Matt Kieley said:

And my point is, I wish they would design a camera that isn't ergonomically stupid, so we don't HAVE to rig it up just to make it work like a video camera. Of course there are rigs designed to add this type of functionality, but why should we have to buy $1k work of accessories just to make it functional? Or spend $5k+ on an UM4.6k? Yes, the Micro has a mount for a bigger battery on back, but they went with an LP-E6 instead of a camcorder battery, which I think is stupid, because you can get camcorder batteries in different capacities/sizes. If you want to use it as an action camera or on a gimbal/drone, just use one of the slimmer/lower capacity batteries, and if you want to shoot anything else, you can attach a larger battery that will last for more than 1-1.5 hours.

There is a guy that sells Canon LP-E6 to Sony NPF adapters for use on the BMMCC. It'll solve the problem, but I find it quite bulky :s

http://www.starvingartist101.com/ 

npfcamerasmall_orig.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 5:19 PM, mercer said:

Yeah, but I'm unsure why they believe it needs to be 4K? 2.5k in 24 as 60p would be a fine upgrade for the Pocket and would quench most people's needs for the next couple of years. 

If it's not 4k it will not compete well in a 4k buzzword market. 

On 9/17/2017 at 10:21 AM, Matt Kieley said:

And my point is, I wish they would design a camera that isn't ergonomically stupid

LOL. 

I believe at the time BMD was looking closely at this product:

 

highres-Lytro-Illum-11_1414410956.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

If it's not 4k it will not compete well in a 4k buzzword market. 


Yes, the BMPCC was a massive success for them, but the Micro Cinema Camera was released only a short time later, yet even though the Micro was an "improved BMPCC" it sadly hasn't got anywhere near the same traction in mind share :-( :-( 

Quite sad. I reckon a notable reason why is because the Micro was still 1080, and new 1080 only cameras are going to struggle to sell. 

Thus I can understand why BMD is happy to just wait it out until the right low cost 4K sensor comes along, rather than put out another 1080 camera to the market. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, IronFilm said:


Yes, the BMPCC was a massive success for them, but the Micro Cinema Camera was released only a short time later, yet even though the Micro was an "improved BMPCC" it sadly hasn't got anywhere near the same traction in mind share :-( :-( 

Quite sad. I reckon a notable reason why is because the Micro was still 1080, and new 1080 only cameras are going to struggle to sell. 

Thus I can understand why BMD is happy to just wait it out until the right low cost 4K sensor comes along, rather than put out another 1080 camera to the market. 

 

You can't sell a smartphone these days without 4k, let alone a product with the word cinema in it costing many dollars more. As soon as smartphones starting gaining 4k capabilities 1080 became old news as far as consumer perception.

The new buzzword will be 8k soon. This is not a good trend, as most cinemas are still running 2k projectors and 4k televisions are still not widespread yet.

We don't need more resolution, we need more dynamic range, cleaner sensors, and smaller acquisition and distribution footprints. Resolution is already at the tip between quality and diminishing return, there are other factors to innovate upon.

As smartphones narrow the gap between portability, capability and quality, the markert is going to get real murky, and I question what affect this will have within the film industry. No one in their right mind is going to spend 40k when they can get what they need in a $2,000 or less package. 

 

gsmarena_003.png

41360b072061fc01ee1f6786af3b08f2_original.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

If it's not 4k it will not compete well in a 4k buzzword market. 

Without a doubt. I was guilty of it. I chased the 4K image down many a rabbit holes. In the end, good 1080p Raw was all I needed. And probably all I’ll NEED for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

You can't sell a smartphone these days without 4k, let alone a product with the word cinema in it costing many dollars more. As soon as smartphones starting gaining 4k capabilities 1080 became old news as far as consumer perception.

The new buzzword will be 8k soon. This is not a good trend, as most cinemas are still running 2k projectors and 4k televisions are still not widespread yet.


Yes, the day the average high end smartphone has 8K will be pretty dreadful. 

As 4K really should at least have another 10 year life span as a delivery format.

A Sony F3 is seen by many as "not current" because it lacks 4K (even though the frequency is high I'm on shoots with a hired FS7 but they're just recording in 1080/2K!). Would be terrible to buy a F5 with 4K that then quickly becomes just as "outdated" as a F3

 

 

20 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

We don't need more resolution, we need more dynamic range, cleaner sensors, and smaller acquisition and distribution footprints. Resolution is already at the tip between quality and diminishing return, there are other factors to innovate upon.

 

Exactly. 

We also need better functionality / ergonomics with our cameras too.


Was very pleased to see the GH5 have a full size HDMI port, that is an important development. Likewise the Panasonic DMW-XLR1 was a *MASSIVE* improvement over the YAGH

And now the GH5S has a timecode input. 

Those developments are just as important as higher frame rates / better codecs / etc!

Am hoping the next generation will see built in ND filters like the AF100 / LS300 have (or maybe even eND). And a movable EVF, like on the GX8. Perhaps an additional SDI connection too? To have all this packed into a body the size of a large DSLR would be phenomenal. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:


Yes, the day the average high end smartphone has 8K will be pretty dreadful. 

As 4K really should at least have another 10 year life span as a delivery format.

A Sony F3 is seen by many as "not current" because it lacks 4K (even though the frequency is high I'm on shoots with a hired FS7 but they're just recording in 1080/2K!). Would be terrible to buy a F5 with 4K that then quickly becomes just as "outdated" as a F3

 

 

 

Exactly. 

We also need better functionality / ergonomics with our cameras too.


Was very pleased to see the GH5 have a full size HDMI port, that is an important development. Likewise the Panasonic DMW-XLR1 was a *MASSIVE* improvement over the YAGH

And now the GH5S has a timecode input. 

Those developments are just as important as higher frame rates / better codecs / etc!

Am hoping the next generation will see built in ND filters like the AF100 / LS300 have (or maybe even eND). And a movable EVF, like on the GX8. Perhaps an additional SDI connection too? To have all this packed into a body the size of a large DSLR would be phenomenal. 

 

Would'nt you say Kineifity is close to achieving this? Look at the trend, RED brains are increasingly getting smaller and now we have Alexa "mini". It turns out ppl actually like mobility. RED jumping into the smartphone arena is a good indicator where the market is headed. 

Samsung is able to cram adjustable/mechanical apeture blades the size smaller than a finger tip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Would'nt you say Kineifity is close to achieving this? Look at the trend, RED brains are increasingly getting smaller and now we have Alexa "mini". It turns out ppl actually like mobility. RED jumping into the smartphone arena is a good indicator where the market is headed. 

 


Yup, lots and examples we can look at!

The F65's size was a factor in holding it back. 

The Varicam S35 had the smaller Varicam LT come out. 

EVA1 & FS5 are teeny tiny. 

The trend is towards more compact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 11:41 PM, IronFilm said:


Yup, lots and examples we can look at!

The F65's size was a factor in holding it back. 

The Varicam S35 had the smaller Varicam LT come out. 

EVA1 & FS5 are teeny tiny. 

The trend is towards more compact.

It turns out people like healthy backs. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...