Affordable Photo Editor that enables LUTs for stills

Tim Sewell

So here's a thing - I can't justify an Adobe CC subscription just for Photoshop (I use FCPX and/or Resolve for video) as I wouldn't use it enough, but thought there was no other software that would allow me to utilise my large-ish LUTs collection for stills. Just discovered that Affinity Photo (https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/) - that's not too shabby as an editor - allows just this - for just GBP29.99! Very happy and looking forward to a lot of processing over Christmas.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Been using Affinity for ten months but switched to Capture One Pro 9 when finally getting around to shooting RAW. After all this time (though I might have missed an update) I haven't seen any support for Sony ARW files. 

I tend to do the base work on Capture One and then export as TIFFs, before doing the finer adjustments in Affinity. 

Both are very good but I'll have to get Lightroom next summer when editing Milky Way images - nothing compares to it and the complete lack of tutorials for my two platforms reflects the lack of interest in them from serious astrophotograhers.

38 minutes ago, Davey said:

After all this time (though I might have missed an update) I haven't seen any support for Sony ARW files. 

Most sony raw files are supported (including the A7rii).

Here is an older list form 2015: https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4630-supported-develop-raw-cameras/ 

12 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I can't justify an Adobe CC subscription just for Photoshop (I use FCPX and/or Resolve for video) as I wouldn't use it enough, but thought there was no other software that would allow me to utilise my large-ish LUTs collection for stills. 

Adobe's subscription scheme, the constant round-tripping between Lightroom & Photoshop for just using LUTs and the shitty performance during the last few versions will definitely force me to try out this program. Thanks for this.   

26 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Here is an older list form 2015: https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4630-supported-develop-raw-cameras/ 

Adobe's subscription scheme, the constant round-tripping between Lightroom & Photoshop for just using LUTs and the shitty performance during the last few versions will definitely force me to try out this program. Thanks for this.   

I'll check for updates - A7sii RAW (uncompressed) files were not supported a month ago. 

4 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Just updated to 1.5.1 and my Sony A7sii AWR files are importing - cheers!

8 hours ago, benymypony said:

From what I know GIMP doesn't support LUTs.

I use mostly open-source (free) software, and GIMP is my main image editor.  I don't use LUTs, so I cannot give details, but I do know that GIMP supports LUTs through the G'MIC plug-in.  I have heard of another GIMP LUT plug-in, but I can't remember its name.

There is also an open-source LUT converter called LUT_TO_LUT.

I use open-source Darktable as my image "developer," and I am fairly sure that it also accepts LUTs

After giving this program a try for a couple of days, I can say that it is more a Photoshop alternative than a Lightroom.

Performance wise it is also very similar to Lightroom/Photoshop, but a bit on the rough side since it processes the image in chunks and it is visible. 

While it does allow the use of 3D LUTs and actually much easier than in Photoshop, I can't see an easy way of processing many photos the way Lightroom does. 

Of course it is much cheaper that the adobe bundle, but unfortunately for the volume of images that I am processing Lightroom is still the easiest. 

In the USA Adobe offers a Photoshop only subscription for $9.99 / month. 

That is the price of three Starbucks Cafe Lattes.

Unfortunately, with all the other calls on my time, some months I don't get a chance to take any stills, let alone play around with them.

And I would never dream of insulting my digestive canal with anything sold by Starbucks.