I need an advice to choose a zoom lens with stabilization

Dan Wake

I need a zoom lens with stabilization, I saw those models:

1) Sigma 17-50 mm-F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM -AF,  Canon

2) Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm F/2.8 Di II VC, Canon

which one do you suggest to me? I need it for video (canon 7D). I need to be able to shoot at f2.8 with good results in therms of sharpness.

my budget is around 350 euro.

I will shoot narrative and doc. for documentary and interviews having some kind of manual fluid zoom ring could be interesting but maybe it's impossibile with a dslr: what do you think about it? it seems the sigma is maybe a little bit better in this feature but I can't believe it's so good that I can try to zoom while shooting an interview without making some trouble with the zoom fluidity movement.  I mean it looks dangerous. am I right?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Are either of those lenses parfocal?

These are allegedly parfocal lenses:

Tokina: 11-16mm f/2.8

Canon: 17-40 f/4 , 16-35 f/2.8 , 70-200 f/2.8 Non-IS

Nikon: 17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 AF-S , 70-200/2.8 VR Mark I (not the Mark II)

Micro 4/3: Panasonic 7-14 f/4

Standard 4/3: Olympus 11-22 f/2.8-3.5

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/02/photo-lenses-for-video/4

Which part? lol

Well, parfocal means that the spot that you focused on remains in focus as you zoom in/out. Usually with most lenses, when you zoom the shot becomes out of focus and you have to re-adjust focus. So you could say, in that case it wouldn't be spot on anymore. So, whereas you're worried about the movement of the zoom creating unwanted shake to cause unfluid motion... with the lenses you mentioned, it would be about zooming and keeping the focus intact, so you'd need to turn two rings at the same time, which probably is more trouble and less fluid. So his suggestions are 'spot on', which, in the context, is a funny use of words. Of course, there's no fun in explaining a joke... although, it honestly wasn't intended as a joke ('pun') until I realized it kinda was one. Anyways. If you lock the camera to a tripod and don't set your tripod head to be very sensitive to input, you should be fine concerning camera shake and not need a lens with built-in IS. In which case, you could also opt for the Angenieux design Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 which should fit your budget.

11 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Which part? lol

Well, parfocal means that the spot that you focused on remains in focus as you zoom in/out. Usually with most lenses, when you zoom the shot becomes out of focus and you have to re-adjust focus. So you could say, in that case it wouldn't be spot on anymore. So, whereas you're worried about the movement of the zoom creating unwanted shake to cause unfluid motion... with the lenses you mentioned, it would be about zooming and keeping the focus intact, so you'd need to turn two rings at the same time, which probably is more trouble and less fluid. So his suggestions are 'spot on', which, in the context, is a funny use of words. Of course, there's no fun in explaining a joke... although, it honestly wasn't intended as a joke ('pun') until I realized it kinda was one. Anyways. If you lock the camera to a tripod and don't set your tripod head to be very sensitive to input, you should be fine concerning camera shake and not need a lens with built-in IS. In which case, you could also opt for the Angenieux design Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 which should fit your budget.

thanks a lot, in paticular I was not able to translate "No pun intended" also google translate couldn't help. I got it over forum wordreference (http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/no-pun-intended.2041297/?hl=it)

I have found those comparison about sigma and tamron ones

Image quality http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=679&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=729&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Vignetting http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?FLI=0&API=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=679&Camera=474&LensComp=729

Lens Flare http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Flare.aspx?FLI=0&API=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=679&Camera=474&LensComp=729

who win in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

What about a used Canon 17-55/2.8 IS? 

I wish but my budget is pretty tight, I can't afford it. All I have is about 370 euro.