Sony A6500 movie and photo samples are coming in

Cubanito

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, Cubanito said:

The concert footage looks fine, but I don't see the relationship between that and the skateboarders... 

Here a more recent update/review on the A6500

I'm not entirely convinced on it just yet, even 2/3 of the sample A6500 still had overheating issues. Although its still pre-production units, it's most likely going to have the same encounters with the production units. I guess we will have to wait and see. 

For now I have my eye on a second hand A6300.

I really wanted to go with Sony, but they don't manage to live up to paper specs. So it's an easy no, but it's a sad one. I would've loved to have one... if it didn't overheat, if it didn't have the aweful rolling shutter, if it didn't have color channel clipping and regular color issues, if it were designed a little bit better (more like a E-M1 Mark II). Cool specs... not that much of a cool camera...

5 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I really wanted to go with Sony, but they don't manage to live up to paper specs. So it's an easy no, but it's a sad one. I would've loved to have one... if it didn't overheat, if it didn't have the aweful rolling shutter, if it didn't have color channel clipping and regular color issues, if it were designed a little bit better (more like a E-M1 Mark II). Cool specs... not that much of a cool camera...

Overheating and RS for sure.

Think realistically if you want mirrorless APS-C 4K either Fujifilm XT-2 or Samsung NX1 are pretty mean choices.

If you can live without the APS-C sensor but like the addition of sensor stabilization... Olympus E-M1 Mark II / Panasonic GH5 (G80 if you're ok with saving a couple bucks and missing out on cinema/productivity tools such as V-LOG L, anamorphic mode, superslowmo, headphone jack, tc, etc).

Wish one of these companies would just do it all right. Personally I think the E-M1 Mark II is the closest to it by the looks of it, apart from the smaller sensor and lack of some more pro videographer features, I can't fault it that much as a hybrid camera for stills and video. It's superfast, well designed and all so reliable. If it had an APS-C sensor and had a 'Sony' label slapped on there, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Administrators

I just wish the people who organised these PR events could think of more original subjects than live action sports, animals and bands.

As for the A6500, the overheating, poor ergonomics, bad colour, bad white balance and terrible rolling shutter would be acceptable had it not been priced at $1500.

Also the 5 axis stabilisation is way better on the Panasonic GX85.

I encourage people to get that instead.

OK I get that Sony want to drag the AXXX series out of the dying consumer market but this is not the way to do it. The body should have been redesigned to resemble the X-Pro 2 if it is going to cost this much.

• Administrators

Compression is bad in that sky.

Looking at the uninspired-as-ever samples from the paid up press junket on the web, the focus speed on that CameraLabs coffee cup video is all over the place. Zero consistency. The rack to the background is nice and slow. The subsequent racks are jerky and too fast. What's up with that?

I assume the AF sensitivity wasn't changed between the different racks in the same clip.

I won't be getting an A6500. Seriously guys, get the X-T2 or G85 instead.

Also people need to realise that to actually make use of this touch-screen AF on the A6500 you need to invest thousands of dollars in Sony lenses as good as the Canon equivalents you probably already have.

I found it took long enough to build a Micro Four Thirds collection of any use, let alone going out and spending $1000+ on a Batis.

If you stick with the manual focus stuff on a budget, then all this fancy AF technology on a consumer camera is wasted.

I personally hope the GH5 comes in around $1500 and has phase-detect AF approaching Dual Pixel AF standard working with EF lens adapters, then we will be getting somewhere...

• Administrators

Yes it sounds good on paper but in reality the detail has to be pixel peeped by us to be determined as different, for the audience they won't care.

Ever heard of the Samsung NX1? That was doing a 6K readout 2 years ago, continuously for hours with no heat management problems.

I just cannot see how, as a package, the A6500 is all that remarkable.

Again it is a paper camera...

5 axis. AF tracking. S-LOG.

Amazing specs until you realise none of them work very well.

5 axis is better at Panasonic and Olympus.

AF tracking and LOG are better at Canon.

I am coming from the Sony a6000. Works very well for me, if you know how to deal with the flaws. I have several E mount lenses. I will give it a chance to the a6500. Of course it is a different story from the a6300 point of view.

This is my update list from Sony a6000:

4K UHD/30p in XAVC-S 100Mb/s 8bit 4:2:0 internal 

1080p/120fps plus NEW S&Q for 1-120fps Slow-Motion! 

3.0″ 921.6k-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD

S-Log2/ S-Gamut3.Cine/S-Log-3 and S-Gamut3/S-Log3 and Display Assist Function

5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization

425 phase-detection AF points

3.5mm Audio mic input

XLR support

Newly-developed front-end LSI

Micro HDMI out – UHD 8bit 4:2:2 to external recorders

Up to 11 fps Shooting and ISO 51,200

XGA Tru-Finder 2.36m-Dot OLED EVF

Magnesium Alloy Body

Dust and moisture resistance

Robust lens mount

Digital (dual-axis electronic) Level Gauge

Silent shooting

External power through USB

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I personally hope the GH5 comes in around $1500 and has phase-detect AF approaching Dual Pixel AF standard working with EF lens adapters, then we will be getting somewhere...

As the E-M1 II price is 2,000$, the GH5 price will be the same probably.