After 3 years, I finally finish my film, shot with Nikons.

Wild Ranger

HI everybody! Long time ago I shared my first Teaser and also some Super 16mm shots from my Feature, "Black or White". After all this time we finally made it so i wanted to share the official trailer. The film is beginning it's festival tour this November so we are hoping to make it travel around the world, finger crossed ;) 

Activate ENGLISH subs!!! 

And here on Vimeo for those who don't like Youtube:

If you are wondering, yes.. We shot all the film on Nikons D7100 and D5300. A little old by now (we started 3 years ago) with all the 4k cameras around, but i think the look holds pretty well. There is also some Super 16mm footage.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I watched the trailer. And I am blown away... It looks great. Honestly I don't think 4K would have helped the look of this film at all.

Congratulations on a great looking trailer. I look forward to watching the film!!!

Damn, I wish the D5500 would drop just a little bit in price. If you are considering a 4K upgrade for your next film... I suggest you stay within the Nikon ecosystem... Maybe a D500. 

Btw, I would love to hear some production notes... More about camera choice positives and negatives, lenses used, lighting, sound equipment... Anything really. 

Thanks and good luck with the film. 

Looks incredible. Is the shot with the two wedding rings on the girl's hand S16? And the one after it also looks like film - close up on the girl's eye. If it's S16 then it has amazingly narrow DOF and if it's DSLR then it looks amazingly filmic!

You must by feeling very proud right now :)

15 hours ago, Chris Oh said:

congrats to finishing your project!

Thanks a lot!!! :)

14 hours ago, mercer said:

I watched the trailer. And I am blown away... It looks great. Honestly I don't think 4K would have helped the look of this film at all.

Congratulations on a great looking trailer. I look forward to watching the film!!!

Damn, I wish the D5500 would drop just a little bit in price. If you are considering a 4K upgrade for your next film... I suggest you stay within the Nikon ecosystem... Maybe a D500. 

Btw, I would love to hear some production notes... More about camera choice positives and negatives, lenses used, lighting, sound equipment... Anything really. 

Thanks and good luck with the film. 

Thanks! I still dont know wich camera will buy next, I dont mind changin brands. Lenses where old Nikons, because they are cheap. Light was very minimal in some situations, nothing very fancy in terms of equipment, a lot of simple light bulbs in some interior scenes. Sound was very changing, but most of the time it was a Rode NTG-2/3 and a Zoom h4n. then it A LOT of post-production time invested to make it sound like a "movie".

13 hours ago, Dustin said:

As a fellow d5300 owner this is very encouraging! I'm sure it varied but what lighting gear did you typically wind up employing? Also did you use flaat11 or a similar flat picture profile?

I used a simple Neutral profile little tweaked to make it more flat.

10 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Looks incredible. Is the shot with the two wedding rings on the girl's hand S16? And the one after it also looks like film - close up on the girl's eye. If it's S16 then it has amazingly narrow DOF and if it's DSLR then it looks amazingly filmic!

You must by feeling very proud right now :)

Most of the shots in the trailer are from the Nikon, including the girls hand and eye.

Thanks i'm really proud :D 

I just had a look at your Vimeo page and you have a very impressive portfolio. You're a wizard with that D5300 and D7100... Really nice work.I know the Nikon's are supposed to have clean shadows, but I didn't realize how clean until I saw your narrative pieces. How were you exposing? And judging your exposure?

8 hours ago, mercer said:

I just had a look at your Vimeo page and you have a very impressive portfolio. You're a wizard with that D5300 and D7100... Really nice work.I know the Nikon's are supposed to have clean shadows, but I didn't realize how clean until I saw your narrative pieces. How were you exposing? And judging your exposure?

Hi, thanks. I just expose by eye, just looking the screen. :)