Nikon D3400 is announced, no 4K video.

IronFilm

Oh sad face! :( As no 4K. So seems like no notable improvement for video? Will need to wait for reviews to see if the 1080 has improvements. 

However a max ISO 25,600 is quite impressive on such a bottom range entry level camera!

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/08/17/nikon-d3400-dslr-camera-announced-24-2mp-snapbridge-and-no-4k-video.aspx/

Wait... there is one meaningful change: flat profile is now included! Good. Thank you Nikon. 

Also I guess it doesn't have 4K because it just has EXPEED 4, while D500 and D5 have EXPEED 5 in them. Thus I guess the newer EXPEED is needed to be able to do 4K.

Oh, but mic jack is removed! ARRRGGGGHHHH

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You've got so many devices that can do 4k now, it's not like it's a rare thing anymore. I guess Nikon is making the cheapest DSLR possible and the parts they're reusing just can't handle 4k. I doubt many of the people this camera is targeting will choose this over their cell phone, which might even shoot 4k.

Sounds like it's essentially just the D5500's innards crammed into the D3300's body... minus the mic input for some bizarre reason.

To tell the truth I actually don't know of many people who used a D3300 as their primary video body - most I heard used it as a B-cam to a D5x00, which presumably would be handling audio duties - but still... it seems like this is a case of two steps forward (flat profile and better battery life) and one step back.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Also I guess it doesn't have 4K because it just has EXPEED 4, while D500 and D5 have EXPEED 5 in them. Thus I guess the newer EXPEED is needed to be able to do 4K.

Correct. The older image processor isn't enough for 4k.

I expect that the D7200 successor, and most likely the D5500 successors will get the new image processor - and probably both 4k. But since D500 is so new, I think they will let that camera be the only DX camera with 4k for a while still.

Most likely both of D750 and D810 successors will get the new image processor too, although I think there's chances that they might add 4k only to the D750 successor and segment it even more as the camera of choice for full frame video.

1 hour ago, dahlfors said:

I expect that the D7200 successor, and most likely the D5500 successors will get the new image processor - and probably both 4k. But since D500 is so new, I think they will let that camera be the only DX camera with 4k for a while still.

That is my hope! They want the D500 to be their only DX 4K option for a little while longer, so holding out on the D5600/D7300 announcements for a few more months and instead doing this non-4K "time filler / treading water" announcement of the D3400.

1 hour ago, dahlfors said:

Most likely both of D750 and D810 successors will get the new image processor too, although I think there's chances that they might add 4k only to the D750 successor and segment it even more as the camera of choice for full frame video.

Yes, with the D820/D900/whatever likely having a 50megapixel ish or so sensor, then perhaps they might skip 4K on this until the next iteration rather than having to deal with the downsampling from such a high resolution sensor. 

But D750 succesor had better have 4K! :D 

(and please stick with 24 megapixels! No more megapixels please for the D750 series, 24megapixels is just perfect)