Lots of C100's at the NBA finals

Shield3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

Ben, what CP do you use for the c300?  I have been using Wide DR on the c100 and just adjusting contrast basically in post and have been thrilled so far.

It is the MKii, so C-LOG2 Bt709. It does something nice to the skin and the room in the highlights is really nice. You should try some C-LOG and download the LUTS canon has available. I think the WIDE DR looks really really nice myself. C log could work for wide shots with a need for a lot of range.

On 6/21/2016 at 1:20 PM, HelsinkiZim said:

The next best selling 'disruptive' camera will be the fs7, for below 5 000€.

That is the Sony FS5.

On 6/21/2016 at 1:20 PM, HelsinkiZim said:

To be honest if Kinefity pull through with the Terra, then it is game set match. They may actually become a legitimate worldwide company.

Terra will lack AF. And won't have internal ND filters, unless it is aftermarket design using the KineMount (which I hope so! It is very possible). 

14 hours ago, The Chris said:

Basically all handheld run and gun (and sometimes getting shot at)

They really put the run and gun into "run and gun"!! :-o 

18 hours ago, The Chris said:

Not saying they're not out there, because they are. Just commenting on the topic, the C100/300's are very popular where I live/work and in TV land, they're heavily used in scripted productions, unscripted productions and commercials.

Just watched Cartel Land, at times its nuts. Basically all handheld run and gun (and sometimes getting shot at) with the C300 and a 17-55 lens for most of the shots.

Cartel Land is CRAZY. Not only great looking footage but intense and nerve wrecking.

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That is the Sony FS5.

I meant, literrally the FS7: codec, bitrate etc

I think the FS5 was not too well received for some of its image quality problems - judging from some of Andrews article's? edit: but from what I can gather noone really has any major complaints about the FS7 besides its cost.

Maybe it is a great camera, I will try and look for some downloadable footage online.

45 minutes ago, HelsinkiZim said:

Maybe it is a great camera, I will try and look for some downloadable footage online.

After the initial outcry and subsequent fix, I haven't really heard any big complaints that aren't typical of any other Sony cam (related to questionable menus, etc). I certainly haven't had any issues. It gets noisy if you don't expose to the right, especially with HFR, but I haven't had any issues cleaning it up with Neat Video.

You can download these two videos of mine, but not sure how much you'll get of out playing with already graded footage. There's also no skin tones. Pretty flexible footage though.

https://vimeo.com/171630086

https://vimeo.com/171630097

This video features of a mix of FS5, BMPCC, and GH4 vlog, which seemed to cut together nicely. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7fBN4_NAqc

This video probably isn't helpful, but it features some nice 240fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGg3jFAy_as

Anyways, back on topic. The c100 is still cool.

18 hours ago, Inazuma said:

@Ed_David Are you just talking about the sensor readout time or something else that affects how you feel about the motion cadence? 

The interpoliation of frames - how it combines them and yes, sensor readout - but the smoothness of a frame into the next. 

That to me seperates cameras just as much as other things such as skintones.  

The C300 has a blockiness and harshness to it, to me that doesn't feel organic.

Cameras I feel are organic in motion is the Canon 1dx, digital bolex, and blackmagic micro camera.

The FS7 and the Ursa Mini 4.6k also feels blocky and unnatural.  

There is a science behind it all that I don't understand, I just know what I like unfortuately.

Not to discredit these cameras - I have seen amazing things out of them.  I just have a particular aethestic.  

1 hour ago, Ed_David said:

The interpoliation of frames - how it combines them and yes, sensor readout - but the smoothness of a frame into the next. 

That to me seperates cameras just as much as other things such as skintones.  

The C300 has a blockiness and harshness to it, to me that doesn't feel organic.

Cameras I feel are organic in motion is the Canon 1dx, digital bolex, and blackmagic micro camera.

The FS7 and the Ursa Mini 4.6k also feels blocky and unnatural.  

There is a science behind it all that I don't understand, I just know what I like unfortuately.

Not to discredit these cameras - I have seen amazing things out of them.  I just have a particular aethestic.  

To me the C300ii looks different than other cameras I have used, I wonder if this is improved. How did you feel about the motion on the F3?

7 hours ago, BenEricson said:

To me the C300ii looks different than other cameras I have used, I wonder if this is improved. How did you feel about the motion on the F3?

I think the F3 feels pretty good - but still I haven't done a side-by-side but I think the BMCPC feels better.  The F3 is good but lacks in perceived resolution.

11 hours ago, HelsinkiZim said:

I meant, literrally the FS7: codec, bitrate etc

I think the FS5 was not too well received for some of its image quality problems - judging from some of Andrews article's? edit: but from what I can gather noone really has any major complaints about the FS7 besides its cost.

It is a pity that it is not a 4K 10bit internal camera like the FS7, but otherwise in most other areas it is a great alternative to the FS7 in a smaller and cheaper package. 

With an external recorder and the FS raw update that might overcome the lack of 4K 10bit issue, as I know one owner with an FS5 who I'm friends with and loves it like that, but I haven't really looked into it myself. 

23 hours ago, BenEricson said:

It is the MKii, so C-LOG2 Bt709. It does something nice to the skin and the room in the highlights is really nice. You should try some C-LOG and download the LUTS canon has available. I think the WIDE DR looks really really nice myself. C log could work for wide shots with a need for a lot of range.

I shot some C-Log (aka CP9 Cinema tonight) and did some light grading.  One really needs a Ninja with this to push the grade around quite a bit, but the skin tones are just stunning.  If Sony could only adopt Canon's colors (ducks out of the thread now)...:)

On 6/21/2016 at 8:34 PM, jax_rox said:

Keep in mind that the NFL were shooting film up until only a few years ago.

I've always wondered how they used film to shoot things live. Anyone know? These sports events don't broadcast 4k, so the c100 makes perfect sense. 

@Ed_David I honestly think the Alexa motion cadence looks choppy sometimes.

5 hours ago, vaga said:

I've always wondered how they used film to shoot things live. Anyone know? These sports events don't broadcast 4k, so the c100 makes perfect sense. 

@Ed_David I honestly think the Alexa motion cadence looks choppy sometimes.

Good focus pullers. A lot of high speed SR3s. NFL films shoots "cinematic" content for highlight reels (a friend used to edit for them); the game itself, of course, is shot and broadcast on video. 

Not sure what NFL films is shooting now, but it's a separate category from broadcast. They have a lot of money. The NFL is a big organization.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Policar said:

Not sure what NFL films is shooting now, but it's a separate category from broadcast. They have a lot of money. The NFL is a big organization.

Last year they switched from s16mm film to Arri Amira. Don't know about this year, I guess its still the Amira.