Canon 1dx Mark II - Underwater Footage

Oceanshutter

Hello all,

I was fortunate to get my hands on a 1dx mark II a few weeks ago, along with an underwater housing for it.  Did a last minute trip to the Philippines to test this out.

It is a short video, and I did a mix of macro and wide angle.  I used the 100mm F2.8L and some shots with a +10 diopter on it.  For wide angle I used the 16-35mm F4L.  Make sure to choose 4k on the playback options.

I severely underestimated what the move to 4k was going to bring.  The amount of resources both from a speed and storage standpoint is massive.  After 40 dives, I came back with about 3.5TB worth of data.  Almost all of these shots were shot 4k and 60p, played back at 30p.

Let me know what you think!
Enjoy,

Dustin

Or Vimeo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, jcs said:

Excellent shots, especially the extreme close ups!

Thanks.  I have a a lot more of the macro stuff to come.  I just wanted to put something together quickly, as I knew some people were eager to see what this camera was capable of underwater.

17 hours ago, Kino said:

Wholly color gamut Batman! Whenever someone complains about 8 bit color, point them to 01:45-02:40 of this video.

Only Canon can make 8 bit color look more rich and accurate than 12 bit color from competing cameras. Bravo to the filmmaker as well as the engineers behind this camera.

Thank you.  Color underwater is so important...I have been using a 5dII for the last 5 years.  Been waiting for canon to get with it and get a reasonably priced 4K dslr...which I would still like a 5d4...size and price is more appealing...but didn't think it would have 60p.  Canons color for underwater is unrivaled.  Their custom wb blows everyone away.