action shoot, what kit?

gethin

I've got a few days of shooting action and activities.  Its a bit different to my usual gigs, and my d5300 is not the right camera for it. I've got a sony rx100iv, but I find it a bit tricky to guage focus - even with peaking.  I also can access a hero 3 silver.  Sooo I started wondering if I should grab an m43 camera - something that has a vague chance of autofocussing.  But now I'm starting to wonder if I should work with what I've got and get a decent monitor. (I've got a cheap field monitor, but its not brilliant for pinning focus).  So I'm canvassing for suggestions and wondering if the aputure HD monitors are ok, or if there's any advantage in going HDMI out from the rx100 to recorder

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you want to make it easy, put whatever you got on f8, shoot wide, manual focus, and have fun.

Technical considerations are all well and good, but if you're having a blast just grabbing cool shots and the vibe on set (or when documenting stuff) is loose and fun, that's a heck of a lot more important than anything else.

Don't get in your own way when filming! 

Pop-out viewfinder on the RX100 Mk4 will be fine. Use the slo-motion liberally, but keep in mind the camera is a brick for almost 30 seconds after each shot (as it spools to card.) Autofocus will be pretty much useless for action so don't "focus" so much on that aspect of a camera. Action can mean many things, but when I shoot motorsports lens reach is everything. In fact I rarely shoot with anything less than 150mm equivalent and often venture out to 350mm. One of our B-Cams is an FS700 (you can get them really cheap now) that shoots with a Sony 24-240 (36mm - 360mm equiv) and we find it's a very useful combo.

I'll probably shoot 120fps, rather than 240 so I can keep shooting.  Might chance one if those new xiaomi action cams that shoot 1080 120.  Fs700 would be nice, but probably  still beyond my budget.  What I don't want to be doing is trying to manually focus a long lens on the d5300. Been there done that, got a lot of fuzzy shots :).  

If I'm manually focusing long lens need a great viewfinder with good peaking implementation.  Gx85 viewfinder sounds horrid don't know about nx1 or g7 or a6300

Just had a look at Sony PXW-X70, 1inch like the Rx 100 but very videoy video.  I wonder if the micro cinema camera plus screen would be crazy? I'd get plenty of reach from my Nikon 70-200

If it's staged perfectly, you can just like remember how your hand needs to move, do a few takes, and if you're shooting it like a choppy, shaky, telephoto closeups fight scene, maybe going out of focus sometimes won't matter as much and can be covered with other angles. 

11 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I second using f/8 and a small sensor. But to answer your question, I recently bought an Aputure FineHD VS-2, and it is EXCELLENT for pulling focus. Nice and sharp, big enough to see, very effective peaking. If your rig can handle it, I think you'll enjoy the addition.

Good to hear!! Any other monitor/recorders you've used and could compare it against?

cool thanks folks. No Liam its run and gun, I want to get as much usable stuff as possible. I did a shoot at an ice rink on the 5300 with a 70-200 lens trying to pull by eye and I got so little usable stuff. 

On 28/05/2016 at 1:34 PM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

recently bought an Aputure FineHD VS-2, and it is EXCELLENT

Is it bright enough in sunshine?

On 01/06/2016 at 1:14 PM, Livianna said:

I have this monitor. I still find it a bit flaky for focus though. Maybe its just me.  I dont really like the focus peaking on it, and find the res just a bit mushy for nailing focus.