Jump to content

Medium Format 4K Raw Video on new Hasselblad Camera


Geoff CB

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

An interesting point with this announcement.....

Canon and Nikon might respond to this and finally bring raw vidro shooting to DSLR 

 

They don't give a shit about Sony, lumix etc... But when other big hitting still cameras make a move, they might follow

I have been predicting the 5Div will have 1080p raw. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

This is a video recorded from the phase one 100mp back, which is most likely the same sensor as the hasselblad.

And now that I have rewatched it, the rollingshutter doesn't look that bad.

Yeah that is gorgeous, and the rolling shutter is not bad, seems a little better than A7s and NX1. That + raw I imagine will be very impressive. Also who knows, maybe they improved the RS on this chip.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Canon and Nikon cant event deliver the file in decent modern codec, you expect them to give you raw? However why you need raw if you are not going to play with vfx? Yes, there will be more DR but you cant get more than what you have in still. Photographic dynamic range at ISO 25000 is less than 5 stop in even modern still cameras, so windows, light sources, will be clipped in low light inside shots. 

What we really need is dual read out, one with amplification, and one without, then camera processor combine these two data and give a HDR-like image. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha.... Who buys a camera based on the DR at such a crazy ISO... Buy some lights!

90% of us will shoot between 100-3200 and it generally looks great on 5D3, so if the next generation has a new sensor, it would look stunning

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that all the top end medium format cams that don't shoot video use CCD sensors instead of CMOS. Is there a reason outside of cost or processing power for why not? CCD would allow for global shutter no? Or am I asking for too much again...

Also, anyone know anything about medium format to full frame focal reducers? @richg101?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kurtisso said:

It seems that all the top end medium format cams that don't shoot video use CCD sensors instead of CMOS. Is there a reason outside of cost or processing power for why not? CCD would allow for global shutter no? Or am I asking for too much again...

Also, anyone know anything about medium format to full frame focal reducers? @richg101?

Larger CCDs seem to have trouble with liveview/video, no idea why, but the CCD era is over.

The focal reducer from baveyes will be released in April (that's what they told me at Kipon)

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TomasSunyer said:

I really hope this was true, but this things cost about 30.000 USD a pop, and this means it's hardly an incentive for them :(

The incentive is that there is a market out their (high end fashion, for instance) for stills and video from one shooter... For now, someone who is booked onto one of those gigs might have been desperate to use a Hassy... But had to opt for a Canon or Nikon, not due to budget, but to the fact that they could do stills and video... Now, they have the option to go Hassy. So they are competition for Canon and Nikon again.

Just guess work, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

The incentive is that there is a market out their (high end fashion, for instance) for stills and video from one shooter... For now, someone who is booked onto one of those gigs might have been desperate to use a Hassy... But had to opt for a Canon or Nikon, not due to budget, but to the fact that they could do stills and video... Now, they have the option to go Hassy. So they are competition for Canon and Nikon again.

Just guess work, of course.

No one in high end fashion will discard a phase one mf camera for the benefits of having video functions of a canon or nikon.  in high end fashion the stills are done one day on medium format and the video another - on an Alexa or Red.  Usually with the same creative director, but two different shooters.  That said, a lot of the guys I've dealt with in the high end fashion world are stills photographers who now shoot or more often direct video.  I can;t see them ever moving to a canon for the benefit of being able to shoot low quality video - not until they offer a medium format sensor and lenses that match or outdo the offerings from Phase One.      

3 hours ago, Kurtisso said:

It seems that all the top end medium format cams that don't shoot video use CCD sensors instead of CMOS. Is there a reason outside of cost or processing power for why not? CCD would allow for global shutter no? Or am I asking for too much again...

Also, anyone know anything about medium format to full frame focal reducers? @richg101?

CCD has only just started to be matched by cmos in terms of image quality in the Medium format world (the IQ2-50, and the IQ3-100 - both are Sony developed sensors). - due to the smaller market there was less demand for development of cmos sebnsor of medium format size than there is in the dslr market.  - tech always moves quicker in the consumer sector.

CCD tech reached its peak 5-10 years ago and even now my Dalsa 56mpx sensor in my leaf aptus 10-ii (released in 2008) delivers an image that makes my a7rii cry.  Dynamic range is around 3 stops less than the a7rii but it's the 16bit colour, and refinement of overall image that has the edge on the dalsa sensor.  not to mention how good Phase One's 'Capture One' software is at processing the 16bit raw files out of the sensor.  Main reason for lack of live view is due to the number of pixels they're dealing with, and the prehistoric processing (when compared to the processing within an a7rii or a dual digic7 canon camera) - the buffer on even the fastest mf backs only permits around 1 frame per second for 50mpx-80mpx sensors.  I think this is the main reason for lack of live view.  

I'm definitely looking at the kipon medium format to Fe-mount with excitement.  They won't give a genuine medium format look, but will get close.  but to obtain worthwhile results it'll be down to what MF lenses you stick on the front.  atm there is only really the hassy 110/2 that really offers an exciting proposition to me - a resultant 80mm/1.4 will be magic.  however probably wont come close to an otus 85/1.4 and will only be slightly cheaper. 

I'm certain there will be a 50mpx fixed lens camera from sony using the iq2-50 sensor some time soon.  then naturally a interchangeable lens version a year later! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, richg101 said:

CCD tech reached its peak 5-10 years ago and even now my Dalsa 56mpx sensor in my leaf aptus 10-ii (released in 2008) delivers an image that makes my a7rii cry.  Dynamic range is around 3 stops less than the a7rii but it's the 16bit colour, and refinement of overall image that has the edge on the dalsa sensor.  not to mention how good Phase One's 'Capture One' software is at processing the 16bit raw files out of the sensor.  Main reason for lack of live view is due to the number of pixels they're dealing with, and the prehistoric processing (when compared to the processing within an a7rii or a dual digic7 canon camera) - the buffer on even the fastest mf backs only permits around 1 frame per second for 50mpx-80mpx sensors.  I think this is the main reason for lack of live view.  

Yeap! I recently started shooting on the KineMAX 6k and really quite like the colour I can get out of it, but I think I would sacrifice 2-3k (so down to 4k or 3k raw), bring it down to 13 stops of dynamic range (vs. 14-16),  and lose any frame rates over 75fps in order to get 16bit colour and global shutter. Hahaha at the same price of course... probably asking for too much again.

Anyway, excited to see how that Oliviascope 1.5x turns out, it's probably more interesting than the H6D! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2016 at 9:54 PM, richg101 said:

CCD tech reached its peak 5-10 years ago and even now my Dalsa 56mpx sensor in my leaf aptus 10-ii (released in 2008) delivers an image that makes my a7rii cry.  Dynamic range is around 3 stops less than the a7rii but it's the 16bit colour, and refinement of overall image that has the edge on the dalsa sensor.  not to mention how good Phase One's 'Capture One' software is at processing the 16bit raw files out of the sensor.

You can't even imagine how much I envy you and your aptus, how much did you pay for it if it's ok to ask :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nikkor said:

You can't even imagine how much I envy you and your aptus, how much did you pay for it if it's ok to ask :) 

I got extremely lucky and managed to do a straight swap on some lenses and custom work.  The guy is a very high end photographer who had literally just bought the iq3-100 and had no need for the back.  It had been sitting unused for a few years after some of his hy6 lens shutters died and he moved to PhaseOne.  he'd seen that I was using HY6 lenses on FORBES70 and took a punt and asked if I wanted a back that I could use with them.  Put it this way, I never thought I'd get hold of a full width medium format back. - The going rate is still madness.  Goes to show there are some guys so high end they literally do jobs that pay for these things outright, and still pay the mortgage.

Even now, comparing it to arguably the most advanced sensor available (the A7Rii) I can't see the Aptus-10-iir ever not being something that delivers less than astounding images.  For my own personal photo taking the only thing that gets use is the 8 year old Aptus!    

 

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1532/25534678965_dd130814ee_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1585/26240955421_1f76d23d84_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1579/26138128015_a359966ef0_o.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...