Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Things are moving fast guys.

I've created a sub-forum for any subjects which might require a separate thread.

Regarding compression on uploads or attachments, let me know if this is a problem and I will look into it.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/forum/25-samsung-nx1-hack/

Hi Andrew,

This site is magic,

Do you think we could have a sub forum for Nx500 activity, to keep it separate, or should we go ahead and post in the Nx1 area ?

Keep on keepin on

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Things are moving fast guys.

I've created a sub-forum for any subjects which might require a separate thread.

Regarding compression on uploads or attachments, let me know if this is a problem and I will look into it.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/forum/25-samsung-nx1-hack/

When Im off work Ill post up what Ive been doing and the things that have happened with the route Im doing. I suggest that otto k and vasile when he is back start a new thread containing the work they have done, as they are pertaining to different things and their updates come more quickly than mine! I will also post up the info in a github of the progress but I think it would help the organize the information better

3 hours ago, vaga said:

@Otto K, if you makea change in settings using prefman (such as shutterspeed for example), does it reflect the change in the camera ui?

I was looking at this earlier and it works the same as other settings where they don't update what is in the menus.  However there are options for saving to memory and files etc which may allow for changes to be made and saved.

On 20.3.2016 at 0:26 PM, Otto K said:

The issue is not with speed of SD card, it's just that swapon command complains about the file structure if it's on SD card (don't know why, it's works fine on my laptop with Linux). Either way, speed of swap is not important as it has to write around 500MB in over an hour. 

I have found a massive issue regarding record limit on the HEVC, it appears to be more the fault of HEVC screwing around with us rather than the camera or file structure issues.

I tested the MJPEG codec this time around with a 64GB card and the camera plugged into the wall with no battery power to do a record session. Lets just say, just not did it pass the 75 - 78 minute limit the HEVC exhibits.

It clocked around ~620 minutes before running out of space on the 64GB card and froze, I am pretty sure it would last even longer if I had used the 128GB one.

DSC_8557.thumb.PNG.727edd2c502340c54740f

Now again this is a low bitrate, low resolution video mode that works the sensor less, so I did the test again but this time with 480p HEVC at 25fps, and once more it crashes at 75 - 78 minute mark, its hard to tell the exact mark because its random most of the time. 

I tried both HQ and Normal bitrate but it still crashes above 75~min. files for HQ are no more than over 2GB and the Normal one is half that. Its strange and mystifies me, which concludes that it could be a codec limitation, if the MJPEG can do it, why can the HEVC not do it? Sounds really strange, I am testing the 720p mode as we speak, if it wields the same results I wont bother posting about it, someone else tested 1080p mode which seemed to suffer from the same issues. MJPEG is the only one that not just broke the 78 minute mark but it completely blew me away how long it recorded, it was still going until next morning until it ran out of space and froze the camera.

I will also do a third record session with the MJPEG with the 128GB card to see how long he can sustain record time, I am going to assume its going to be over 1200 minutes which will be quite long time indeed. I decided to share this details simply because it struck me as weird, why would the MJPEG reach 58GB while the same resolution HEVC did not even reach 3GB before stopping, its just puzzling.

25fps in jpeg, 4608x2592, aspect ratio 16:9, picture quality "super fine", has a bit rate of about 100MB/s.
25fps in jpeg, 6480x3640, aspect ratio 16:9, picture quality "super fine", has a bit rate of about 170MB/s.
The Vasile hack has demonstrated that the Samsung nx1 is able to shoot video over 150MB / s so we are not very far from a new Magic Lantern for Samsung Nx1.

Jpeg_NX1.jpg

Interesting that the number of bits per 25 still 4k frames is less than the amount vasile has been able to unlock for 1 second of HEVC. Does the bitrate of the video include the audio track as well?

How is the gradeablility of those JPEGs?

11 minutes ago, vaga said:

Interesting that the number of bits per 25 still 4k frames is less than the amount vasile has been able to unlock for 1 second of HEVC. Does the bitrate of the video include the audio track as well?

How is the gradeablility of those JPEGs?

JPEG's will have superior grading capability than HEVC, to match a Super Fine JPEG to HEVC the bitrate has to be so insane that grading that HEVC video is going to be a nightmare if you do not own a 50k dollar workstation, not to mention the HEVC codec in Premiere CC2015 is causing me more trouble and performance issue than I want to deal with, I rather spare a few GB of space and continue converting them to ProResLT.

I rarely noticed banding issue with JPEG's in the NX1 either, some rare cases but that would just be the terrible JPEG compression algorithm that Samsung uses.

If you want I can shoot a 15fps 6k in 16 by 9, 1 - 2 second video and you can have fun in whichever video editing software you use, from personal experience the JPEG's out of the camera have pretty damn good data in it, allowing me to pull some pretty amazing details out of dark areas and compress highlights, its no raw but its WAAAAY better than HEVC could probably ever do if you ask me.

1 hour ago, vaga said:

Yea that would be great!

These JPEGs are stills though right, so there should be more dynamic range in them than in the video (hence why we often use flat codecs are LOG to get the full DR data in the video frames)?

Yes technically, Motion JPEG stores each frame individually so its literally no difference between spitting JPEG's out into the SD card or simply into a container, only difference is that there are more files and more of a mess just spitting them out into the SD without container, and the container can also contain sound which it syncs by itself so you wont have to.

LOG profile would still be useful for Motion JPEG, like I said earlier its not the same as RAW or as good, but its far better than H264 or HEVC for example in containing huge amount of information, just be aware of the massive file sizes the higher bitrates you go with it and much larger resolution.

Here are two of the JPEG 15fps bursts, I will take some more when its day outside, these are high ISO do notice that Samsung's JPEG engine applies noise reduction to the stills even if you turned it off, however the noise is still far better than in the HEVC ones.

I would also like you to notice how BIG these zip files are, for something that is just 1 - 3 seconds long, reaching 700mb - 1gb is quite a scary thought, each JPEG is however average 4.5mb in size shot with super fine compression.

2592p15 - 3200ISO - https://mega.nz/#!PN0zQIIQ!7tcNWhfTOKDsUYvqZNocFb9bpnMyChdTamdawx5gbzI

3648p15 - 4000ISO - https://mega.nz/#!WdFHkAgZ!8MoMydWK55KXkOnDLR5AlwFslkC4PjZ2YDr2LKSN8KY

6 hours ago, lucabutera said:

25fps in jpeg, 4608x2592, aspect ratio 16:9, picture quality "super fine", has a bit rate of about 100MB/s.
25fps in jpeg, 6480x3640, aspect ratio 16:9, picture quality "super fine", has a bit rate of about 170MB/s.
The Vasile hack has demonstrated that the Samsung nx1 is able to shoot video over 150MB / s so we are not very far from a new Magic Lantern for Samsung Nx1.

Jpeg_NX1.jpg

How did you reach 25fps? Isn't 15fps the max this camera can do?

9 hours ago, lucabutera said:

MB (megabytes) and not same as Mb (megabits = usual unit for bitrate). 170MB/s (megabytes per second) are 1360Mb/s (megabits per second)... so it is completely different level of bitrate.

Vasile hack provides +100Mb/s ( I do not want to brake his request about "not mention" bitrate :-)) so it is higher than default bitrate but still much lower than 170 MBps/1360 Mbps.

41 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

MB (megabytes) and not same as Mb (megabits = usual unit for bitrate). 170MB/s (megabytes per second) are 1360Mb/s (megabits per second)... so it is completely different level of bitrate.

Vasile hack provides +100Mb/s ( I do not want to brake his request about "not mention" bitrate :-)) so it is higher than default bitrate but still much lower than 170 MBps/1360 Mbps.

The camera is limited by the bus speed of UHS-2 which is 312MB/s 2496Mb/s Fastest card is currently the sandisk extreme pro at 250MB/s 2000Mb/s So there is much more to go until we reach that. Should be enough for what I am looking into. And remember, higher bit rate, lower compression, less math the processor needs to do, so less work and less heat. Theoretically the limit is high, and if you look at the dp review of the canon 80d and the nx1 their new low noise tech is still miles away.

12 minutes ago, Chant said:

The camera is limited by the bus speed of UHS-2 which is 312MB/s 2496Mb/s Fastest card is currently the sandisk extreme pro at 250MB/s 2000Mb/s So there is much more to go until we reach that. Should be enough for what I am looking into. And remember, higher bit rate, lower compression, less math the processor needs to do, so less work and less heat. Theoretically the limit is high, and if you look at the dp review of the canon 80d and the nx1 their new low noise tech is still miles away.

Yes, that would be great to push bitrate to max possible level. I am little bit worried that Vasile received "too slow card" message even he has very fast (not fastest) 95MB/s SD card. Hopefully it is becuase he has just UHS-I and not UHS-II card, however his card should be able to handle much more than provides his bitrate hack.

The differences between UHS-2 and UHS-1 are vast. In looking into what card slot the nx1 contained there was quite a lot of info on how they run. The UHS-2 has 8 or so extra pads to do the data rate it is designed for. There could be numerous reasons for the failure. But the max datarate of UHS-1 is 104MB/s So UHS-2 is a must for any of the firmware mods I am going after. More testing is needed though for sure. See how close we can get to the max of UHS-2 write.

As already said, with the lexar 2000x (fastest UHS-II card on the market now) the camera can continue at 15fps in super fine jpg when the buffer is full.

To do the trick one should enable silent e-shutter on NX1 (otherwise...bye bye shutter) and increase the fps at least to 24fps.

review of Lexar:

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/lexar-professional-2000x-uhs-ii-32gb-sdhc-memory-card/