Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 26/10/2016 at 7:53 AM, kinoseed said:

I don't know if you noticed, but it seems there's "official" support of K-mount and one other "unknown"

[root@drime5 ~]# st cap capdtm getusr LENSMOUNT
UserData is LENSMOUNT_NX_MOUNT (0x590000)
UserData is LENSMOUNT_K_MOUNT (0x590001)
UserData is LENSMOUNT_UNKNOWN (0x590002)

Samsung start with Pentax K mount! Maybe the code is the same?

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/pourquoi-samsung-a-t-quitte-photo-alors-qu-faisait-partie-plus-innovants-a3005.html

I am wondering what the "unknnown" is...EF?!

@kinoseed  @Otto Actually, we were talking for getting a crop in NX1, NOT get rid of the crop in NX500. If you have a crop option in NX1 is like having 2 primes with one. Also, there is a variable scanning option in LS300 sensor, so from the 4K full sensor read out, you can zoom in (for full HD only ofcourse) and it is quite impressive, I have tested with Zeiss and Leica and the results are impressive, is like having a few small Leica zooms! 

Now with the GH5 out we have to up our game!

Some times like these I regret quitting programming for work!

I was just looking at GH5 ... this thing looks really sweet.
Most of it functionality (minus the 5D-IS, etc) could have been available even in NX500... there is no technical reason why it couldn't have been available, and the production cost would have remained the same. I really really really hope those Samsung execs have been fired ! (although I doubt it)

Adding "crop option" for NX1 would be just the same as removing it from nx500. It will have to be done through modifying the scanning PPU setting.
And we can't "up our game" :))) we are not the producers of the cameras, and simply modding 2 yr old technology can't make wonders. :)

I think Panasonic just gave a great lesson on product placement, development and PR. The directors in Samsung should pay attention, and find execs who actually can deliver like Pana does.

Although Pana should have not made this separate :
- Paid upgrade to enable V-LogL video capture with LUT-based preview display
(as it will hurt the image a lot, and not make much additional profit, and be incentive for a product hack):

Anyway, I'm still using my trusty ol' nx500, but even though the GH5 sensor is small and there is no BLI, I'll probably move to camp GH5 next.

15 hours ago, kinoseed said:

I was just looking at GH5 ... this thing looks really sweet.
Most of it functionality (minus the 5D-IS, etc) could have been available even in NX500... there is no technical reason why it couldn't have been available, and the production cost would have remained the same. I really really really hope those Samsung execs have been fired ! (although I doubt it)

Adding "crop option" for NX1 would be just the same as removing it from nx500. It will have to be done through modifying the scanning PPU setting.
And we can't "up our game" :))) we are not the producers of the cameras, and simply modding 2 yr old technology can't make wonders. :)

I think Panasonic just gave a great lesson on product placement, development and PR. The directors in Samsung should pay attention, and find execs who actually can deliver like Pana does.

Although Pana should have not made this separate :
- Paid upgrade to enable V-LogL video capture with LUT-based preview display
(as it will hurt the image a lot, and not make much additional profit, and be incentive for a product hack):

Anyway, I'm still using my trusty ol' nx500, but even though the GH5 sensor is small and there is no BLI, I'll probably move to camp GH5 next.

One thing the Panasonics have going for them since the G7 is workable ISO up to 3200, and no I am not pulling this one out of my back. Have a look for yourself:

I would expect the 3200ISO to be somewhere around 1600 true NX ISO. They probably have better file manipulation (better in camera settings and handle of noise and codec).

Also, I saw a dynamic range review that in reality the latest 20mgpxl Pana sensors are 1 stop less than GH4, so newer m4/3 are not that better than before. I am expecting the GH5 to be the best among all, even the Panasonic Uematsu said that DR is the same though. 

6400ISO

Samsung NX1 5281 ISO

Sony a6000 5185 ISO

Canon 7DmarkII 5105 ISO

Nikon D500 4705 ISO

Olympus E-M1 3870 ISO

Panasonic GH4 3835 ISO

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I would expect the 3200ISO to be somewhere around 1600 true NX ISO. They probably have better file manipulation (better in camera settings and handle of noise and codec).

Also, I saw a dynamic range review that in reality the latest 20mgpxl Pana sensors are 1 stop less than GH4, so newer m4/3 are not that better than before. I am expecting the GH5 to be the best among all, even the Panasonic Uematsu said that DR is the same though. 

6400ISO

Samsung NX1 5281 ISO

Sony a6000 5185 ISO

Canon 7DmarkII 5105 ISO

Nikon D500 4705 ISO

Olympus E-M1 3870 ISO

Panasonic GH4 3835 ISO

Aright I never did compare them side by side so, I tested the NX500 and NX1 at new year, my NX500 uses the kitlens LOL just because I did not want to fiddle around with the F2 lens I have which is all manual and it looks pretty good despite being at 2000 ISO on the NX500 but the NX1 was max 1600

I didn't either! these are Max Yuryev's numbers! But I did some gigs these summer/autumn with GH4 or a6300, and the a6300 ISO was matching the NX's much better than the GH4, so I was expecting quite a difference, but this is more that I could have imagined! 

Pana is definitely going the right way, but it seems that the sensor is really at its limits. The Panasonic executive said that in order to increase the total megapixels and so had to put smaller ones, which increased noise and blah blah blah. The conclusion is that after 3 years, and 4 megapixels more, they can't go 1 full stop further. Sony showed with their new crop sensors that they can go 6400 easily, and this is their main selling point as of now; something that Fuji took it, and made it a real camera!

All that I want to see, is a video camera with the GH5 insides around 4.000$/euros/money.

12 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I didn't either! these are Max Yuryev's numbers! But I did some gigs these summer/autumn with GH4 or a6300, and the a6300 ISO was matching the NX's much better than the GH4, so I was expecting quite a difference, but this is more that I could have imagined! 

Pana is definitely going the right way, but it seems that the sensor is really at its limits. The Panasonic executive said that in order to increase the total megapixels and so had to put smaller ones, which increased noise and blah blah blah. The conclusion is that after 3 years, and 4 megapixels more, they can't go 1 full stop further. Sony showed with their new crop sensors that they can go 6400 easily, and this is their main selling point as of now; something that Fuji took it, and made it a real camera!

All that I want to see, is a video camera with the GH5 insides around 4.000$/euros/money.

True I never liked the MFT sensor size, I always been APS-C guy, full frames were usually heavy and bulky until the Sony A7 series came out but those are plagued by horrible ergonomic designs and a menu that reminds me of early Windows 3.1 days. 

It seems to be most manufacturers keep compromising one things all the time, GH5 looks very nice in video department, but its probably going to get outdone in photography by even the NX500

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

Gh5 is better on specs, but with that smaller sensor... We'll see.

A7s2...I would not trade my nx1 for it, being mainly a stills guy.

But Gh5 shoot in burst mode h265 6k 10bit 4.2.2 with Metabones speed booster it's as aps-c sensor, but no cheap solution.....

It is 8bit, true, and if you add speedbooster for 650euros, and battery grip to match a dSLR battery, and all the rest, and buy full frame lenses to put on the metabones, go buy a full frame already! If I was doing photography and I wanted the full frame look (noone buys m4/3 and then wants the "APS-C" look, have you ever heard that?!) then a D750 is a much better option, with millions of cheap used Nikon lenses around. As of the m4/3 size and weight mantra, Nikon D750 dimensions: 140.5x113x78 mm, 840grams and GH5 138.5 x 98.1 x 87.4 mm and 725gr. Add the Speedbooster, the battery grip, and you are exceeding a -not very small- classic dSLR body by much.

The power of GH5 is in video, not in photos, even though the 6K burst mode is interesting (and probably the future), "The company eventually plans to release future models with 8K, 32-megapixel capture in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.", that will be really interesting, and it fits perfectly their 3 years product circle that the industry tends to, and also give m4/3 the kiss of life, until then, APS-C could have reach 3-4 stops better high ISO though, and more than 32Megapixels natively, NX is 28 for 3 years now..

I totally agree with your timeframe. 8k at 8-10bit and 30fps and 6-4k at 10-12 bit and 60-120fps will be - imo - a must in few years.

Smartphones will probably get there first, in late 2018 or 2019. Then big sensors will get there by 2020.

At that point the main challenge will be perfect af, co sidering that one will be able to shoot a video and then grab stills from it at almost raw quality.

On 7.1.2017 at 0:01 AM, lucabutera said:

But Gh5 shoot in burst mode h265 6k 10bit 4.2.2 with Metabones speed booster it's as aps-c sensor, but no cheap solution.....

You honestly might just get the KineMAX 6k for a similar price tag and enjoy 6k RAW video or 2k 200+fps