Jump to content
Spgreen65

What is your recipe for GH4/G7 anamorphic?

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm learning as I go along, I have known (now) that I can get good shooting results with my Sankor 16C with my Minolta 50mm on my Panny G7 -- without having to use diopters, I hope.  Since it's 2x, I'll have to stick with the 16:9/3.0:1 AR - may looking into the 4:3 photo mode sometime.  I hope to snag either the SLR Magic's Anamorphot or the Rangefinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GH4 in UHD 4K, Bolex 16/32 1.5x anamorphic yielding 2.67:1 cinemascope recording aspect ratio.  I have several taking lenses.  The first is a series of Minolta Rokkors from 35mm up to 100mm with an MD Speed Booster.  The others are a Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm Flektogon f2.4 and a Carl Zeiss Jena 80mm Biometar adapted from large format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Bell & Howell 16mm Anamorphic 2x single focus (Not Kowa for Bell & Howell 2x) with a Rapido clamp on my G7.  My go-to lens is a Fujinon 55mm 1.8 M42 mount with a standard M42 to MFT adapter.  I've used a Rokinon 85mm with speedbooster and a Pentax Super Tak 85mm 1.9 with solid results.  I recently brought the 55mm 1.8 B&H 2x setup to a boxing tournament and it worked beautifully, especially in 60fps.  I will be posting a video of it very soon.                                    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2016 at 3:13 PM, Spgreen65 said:

jbCinC_12 , will you go with the 2x SLR Magic or the 1.3?

Sorry for the lateness of the response.

I probably go with the 1.3 for the 2.35:1 look for the 16:9 frame set, the 2X for the 4:3 set.  I tried my Sankor 16C on one of my Lumix G7 test shots in 4K Photo mode 4:3, and the colors would change on me; maybe it was the fact that I used Auto WB instead of manual.  

Footnote, I been getting some interesting shots again on my Sankor 16C/G7 on my Minolta MD 50 lens.  I hope to check it out and do a comparison here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spgreen65 said:

Thanks for sharing.  Richie, I like the look of the boxing video.

Spgreen65 thank you!

3 hours ago, jbCinC_12 said:

Sorry for the lateness of the response.

I probably go with the 1.3 for the 2.35:1 look for the 16:9 frame set, the 2X for the 4:3 set.  I tried my Sankor 16C on one of my Lumix G7 test shots in 4K Photo mode 4:3, and the colors would change on me; maybe it was the fact that I used Auto WB instead of manual.  

Footnote, I been getting some interesting shots again on my Sankor 16C/G7 on my Minolta MD 50 lens.  I hope to check it out and do a comparison here.

I've been using my Bell & Howell 2x in 4:3 4k photo mode and slowing the footage down to 80% to match 23.976 fps.  I wish Panasonic would just update the firmware and allow us all to shoot in 4:3 mode @ 23.976. Maybe when the GH5 comes out and the price/feature gap between the G7 and GH4 becomes less relevant... wishful thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Richie Recoil said:

Spgreen65 thank you!

I've been using my Bell & Howell 2x in 4:3 4k photo mode and slowing the footage down to 80% to match 23.976 fps.  I wish Panasonic would just update the firmware and allow us all to shoot in 4:3 mode @ 23.976. Maybe when the GH5 comes out and the price/feature gap between the G7 and GH4 becomes less relevant... wishful thinking.

@ Richie Recoil, you can say that again.  I been lurking back and forth about any updates w/ Panasonic, all about HDMI and focus points and such, so...

By the way, as promised... here's a little bit of what I did.  It's quite short as it's a test.

NB: I had to crop at 4:3 at Resolve 12 and had to do trial and error at Virtualdub to remove the black front and back bars, and "resize" 3 times to get to 2.35:1.  Not for the faint at heart lemme tell you.

 

P.S.: Richie, great shots you did on your G7 anamorphic.  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in love with the look of the Kowa 35 1.75x Inflight shot in 4k 3840x2160 in 16:9 mode on GH4.

Here is my first test with a pretty lady I know walking around ;) three different taking lens. 1. Olympus Zuiko 38mm f1.8 2. Zeiss Ultron 50mm f1.8 and the Voigtlander 42.5mm f0.95. I love this lens. I love the single coating and the way it flares and how it transforms the character of the taking lens so well. I hope you enjoy this vintage anamorphic lens porn my friends. Watch in 4k. cheers! Ian 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 19, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Teemu said:

Here is from last summer a little test between FM Lens and Rectilux adapters. Kowa 8z inside on both.

 

The Rectalux footage looks much better to me,. The fm seemed to have barrel distortion on the sides.  Beautiful shots from the Rectalux.  Can you tell me more about the kowa 8z?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spgreen65 said:

The Rectalux footage looks much better to me,. The fm seemed to have barrel distortion on the sides.  Beautiful shots from the Rectalux.  Can you tell me more about the kowa 8z?

Rectilux is a tad sharper than FM Lens. My story between these two is following:

I first ordered the Rectilux. I was in the line for the first patch. Well when got it there were some quality check issues in first patch. So the focus wasn't as smooth as should and there was few screws missing... So I was a bit disapointed after the long wait and for the focus quality. So I returned it and bought FM Lens instead. 

But I ordered the FM Lens from one German guy who customs FM lenses.
anamorphic-germany.com
And here is the guys Vimeo profile: vimeo.com/user37855100

He makes possible to mount Kowa 8z inside the FM Lens, but I had to send it for him to but it insde. So it's Kowa lens only now. But I don't mind. He made it focus as close as possible (40cm), installed focus gears on it and made possible to mount very good quality ND fader infront of it.

SO the conclusion. Both have goods and bads. Rectilux is a tad sharper which I regret a bit. But FM Lens was so much betterly assembled straight from the box. Also mine focuses extra close now that I asked that option to be added.

Kowa 8z by itself is one of the best glass investments. Really like how it performs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SpencerRollins said:

How did you get this to 7K?

When I say 7K I mean: I exported it at 4k settings in Premiere, so what you see on youtube is not 7K, but when you stack two 4k 2x anamorphic images on top of one another within a 16:9 frame, you effectively get a 7k resolution.  This only works with 2x anamorphic lenses because once squished down in post it equals exactly half of a 16:9 frame (hence the 2x).  It would be really cool if somehow two separate G7/GH4's could be rigged on top of one another and combined in post to create one 7k image.  Pretty much impossible with anamorphic because of the characteristics/distortion of the lenses but an interesting idea, nonetheless.  I hope that made sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teemu, Thanks for the great response.   I love the Cinemascope banner ;)

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:05 AM, Teemu said:

Rectilux is a tad sharper than FM Lens. My story between these two is following:

I first ordered the Rectilux. I was in the line for the first patch. Well when got it there were some quality check issues in first patch. So the focus wasn't as smooth as should and there was few screws missing... So I was a bit disapointed after the long wait and for the focus quality. So I returned it and bought FM Lens instead. 

But I ordered the FM Lens from one German guy who customs FM lenses.
anamorphic-germany.com
And here is the guys Vimeo profile: vimeo.com/user37855100

He makes possible to mount Kowa 8z inside the FM Lens, but I had to send it for him to but it insde. So it's Kowa lens only now. But I don't mind. He made it focus as close as possible (40cm), installed focus gears on it and made possible to mount very good quality ND fader infront of it.

SO the conclusion. Both have goods and bads. Rectilux is a tad sharper which I regret a bit. But FM Lens was so much betterly assembled straight from the box. Also mine focuses extra close now that I asked that option to be added.

Kowa 8z by itself is one of the best glass investments. Really like how it performs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Spgreen65 said:

Teemu, Thanks for the great response.   I love the Cinemascope banner ;)

 

Good that you like it :) I wanted it to be quite cheesy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...