Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech. End of Samsung NX (?)

Pavel Mašek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If this is true, that implies: 

No competition to A7 series as NX mount is not compatible with FF sensor. It's not a throat size issue, but the contacts and plastic inside the mount make FF sensor incompatible. You have to break compatibility with all current APSC lenses to make it work.

No speedbooster possible due to same technical problems. 

Ok so for you it's better a thicker, possibly heavier camera, able to take ONLY F lenses? Where are most of the advantages of being mirrorless then? ;-) 

Never said it was better, I just don't think it's likely. Actually it may be better, if you are stuck using only one brand of glass that has a legendary history, then Nikkor glass is the way to go.

Just don't think Nikon is going to buy Samsung tech and put out the Nikon NX2.

mercer, so you disagree with the facts?

Nikon can include the adapter in the basic package, not asking for extra money. Basically treat it as part of the camera and have it preinstalled and exchangeable for NX lens owners.

What facts exactly? For now this is only a rumor. But if it is true, you guys think that Nikon, one of the largest camera and lens company in the world, is just going to drop everything and say... You know what... Let's forget everything we've ever done and let's just put out the Nikon NX2? I mean, the NX1 owners already have the lenses...

Again talking about dropping or forgetting. The only drop would be, if using F mount, the one about all the other lenses. The intelligent adapter could even be supplied, as noted, and could me made almost invisible for users.

P.s. I even think that most nikon users ignore the existence of nx so they would just think that it's a new nikon mount, chosen for ml cameras.

Canon adopted a new mount for M. Why not Nikon??

Anyway...we'll just have to wait and see.

I sincerely hope nikon does not take the NX mount, they need a nice short mount for speedboosters or with a larger diameter and no plastic stuff between the mount and the sensor so the speedboosters can recess into the housing.

They might even use the F mount if they find a way to make the screen, sensor electronics,etc... thin enough. This would actually make the most sense, wideangles that penetrate, and long lenses that balance nicely.

Since they supposedly acquired it for a professional grade mirrorless system, they likely don't give a rats ass about speed boosters. Professionals buy real lenses, not speedboosters to jerry rig the system.

Cmon stop the wishful thinking. I change lenses all the time as most people with dslrs do, I don't want to have 10 adapters, putting them on and off while changing between camera bodies (no, people will not throw away their old nikon cameras).

If they make a short mount they will make it short for good. They won't use samsung contacts either, imagine what a pain in the ass having legacy samsung contacts, nikon contacts, two different softwares running, compatibility errors,etc... Wishful thinking.

Not if you look at market segment and who the tech is for. If it is for the consumer who bought a 4K television, then you are limiting your sales to people who buy Samsung televisions. 

Or is it for enthusiasts? 

I really don't know what Nikons plans are for the Samsung tech. 

I think other manufacturers will get on board with having hardware H.265 decoders on the TV panels as well....it is the logical thing to do once 4K streaming takes off.

Over at Nikon rumors, there has already been plenty of talk about a FF mirrorless. According to their sources, it will have the F mount. It will not be available until late 2016, so most likely it will have the Samsung tech. Or from this point on the Nikon tech. 

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/20/new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-on-the-horizon.aspx/

I'm hoping Andrew will do another one of his famous comparison videos. This time between the NX1 color and D750 color. Because that will be the next debate... Which color science will the new Nikons have?

It would still be Samsung Tech. The deal most likely would be structured so that Samsung does the sensor and processor development (which they would be doing in part anyway for their cell phone and TV divisions anyway), while Nikon would integrate that technology into camera systems. So it would be a partnership rather than flat out sale of IP.

They wouldnt "drop" anything by using NX mount with an included smart adapter for their Nikon lenses. Thats the point you don't seem to get. Repeating again and again that they would "drop" or "disappoint" their user base is simply not based on facts and logic.

So, if you were a professional photographer with tens of thousands of dollars invested in F mount Nikkor glass and Nikon debuts it's first professional full frame mirrorless camera, and you found out it was in the NX mount or something other than F mount, you wouldn't be a little upset... Adapter or not.

IMO, people don't want adapters if they don't have to. The point of Nikon all of these years is their backward compatibility with a half century's worth of glass. 

I highly doubt they would change that now. 

Plus, look at the link on Nikon rumors... Full frame mirrorless in F mount. 

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/20/new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-on-the-horizon.aspx/

So, if you were a professional photographer with tens of thousands of dollars invested in F mount Nikkor glass and Nikon debuts it's first professional full frame mirrorless camera, and you found out it was in the NX mount or something other than F mount, you wouldn't be a little upset... Adapter or not.

IMO, people don't want adapters if they don't have to. The point of Nikon all of these years is their backward compatibility with a half century's worth of glass. 

I highly doubt they would change that now. 

Plus, look at the link on Nikon rumors... Full frame mirrorless in F mount. 

canon released ef-m mount for mirrorless. Were users upset?

Nikon would anyway create a different mount for mirrorless, imho, hence I see no problems in using current nx one and do synergies.

canon released ef-m mount for mirrorless. Were users upset?

Nikon would anyway create a different mount for mirrorless, imho, hence I see no problems in using current nx one and do synergies.

Lol marco, did anybody buy the ef-m? No, and its consumer not professional.

But canon does have a pro mirrorless line, it's the C line, and guess what, it's EF mount.

It would still be Samsung Tech. The deal most likely would be structured so that Samsung does the sensor and processor development (which they would be doing in part anyway for their cell phone and TV divisions anyway), while Nikon would integrate that technology into camera systems. So it would be a partnership rather than flat out sale of IP.

This is all based on a rumor, but I thought the rumor stated that Nikon bought Samsung's camera technology. I don't know, we'll see.

I just think it's naive of some of these guys to think that Nikon is just going to put out the NX2 under the Nikon name, at the same price point, with the same amount of firmware updates and cater to the small Samsung customer base and continue to put out lenses using the, poorly received and reviewed Samsung mount, ignore their millions of satisfied Nikon customers, because Marco and Marc want to continue to get the most out of their Samsung lens investment.

If you are worried about lens depreciation, sell those Samsung lenses and buy some adapters for other lenses because... 

Wait for it...

The NX mount is dead.

Hell, even 3rd party lens makers stopped, or never started making NX lenses... I wonder why?

Lol marco, did anybody buy the ef-m? No, and its consumer not professional.

But canon does have a pro mirrorless line, it's the C line, and guess what, it's EF mount.

I bought the Canon eos-m body, but no lenses. I bought adapters and now I am swimming in them. Every box and bag of equipment has a damn ef-M adapter. Stop the madness. 

Ok so for you it's better a thicker, possibly heavier camera, able to take ONLY F lenses? Where are most of the advantages of being mirrorless then? ;-) 

If they're trying to make a mirrorless camera for the professional market, the advantage is that there's one less thing to fail. A professional on a job doesn't want to worry whether their adapter is going to be shorted out by rain or bend a connector pin in tough situations; they just want it to work. Adapters on high-density sensors can also introduce all sorts of centering/planarity issues, which will turn off landscape photographers and people like Ming Thein who are trying to squeeze out that last 1% of performance. 

I see what you're saying, and it might give our market pause, but the fact is that professionals care far less about thicker and heavier if it means rugged and consistent.

It doesn't give up any of mirrorless' advantages either, which extend beyond just small size. Effective EVF/Live View shooting with accurate image preview, on-sensor AF for perfect focus alignment without fine-tuning, vastly improved MF compared to today's brighter but low-res OVFs, and all the benefits a live view-centric system provides for video shooting. Many professional photographers, such as Kirk Tuck and Ming Thein, have lamented that no DSLR manufacturer has just ripped the mirror box out of their flagship stills camera and given it an EVF instead. They don't care about reducing size. Tuck wants to keep using his vintage portrait lenses on their native mount, and Thein wants an ergonomically mature product that'll do justice to his Otus lenses.

If Nikon took Samsung's mirrorless tech, put in a full frame sensor, and gave it a native F mount, I think they'd be answering a lot of people's prayers.  

If they're trying to make a mirrorless camera for the professional market, the advantage is that there's one less thing to fail. A professional on a job doesn't want to worry whether their adapter is going to be shorted out by rain or bend a connector pin in tough situations; they just want it to work. Adapters on high-density sensors can also introduce all sorts of centering/planarity issues, which will turn off landscape photographers and people like Ming Thein who are trying to squeeze out that last 1% of performance. 
I see what you're saying, and it might give our market pause, but the fact is that professionals care far less about thicker and heavier if it means rugged and consistent.

It doesn't give up any of mirrorless' advantages either, which extend beyond just small size. Effective EVF/Live View shooting with accurate image preview, on-sensor AF for perfect focus alignment without fine-tuning, vastly improved MF compared to today's brighter but low-res OVFs, and all the benefits a live view-centric system provides for video shooting. Many professional photographers, such as Kirk Tuck and Ming Thein, have lamented that no DSLR manufacturer has just ripped the mirror box out of their flagship stills camera and given it an EVF instead. They don't care about reducing size. Tuck wants to keep using his vintage portrait lenses on their native mount, and Thein wants an ergonomically mature product that'll do justice to his Otus lenses.

If Nikon took Samsung's mirrorless tech, put in a full frame sensor, and gave it a native F mount, I think they'd be answering a lot of people's prayers.  

YEAH... What he said.