Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech. End of Samsung NX (?)

Pavel Mašek

Well, I'm not a professional photographer

That explains a lot.

There's nothing unprofessional about a speedbooster or anything else used to get the shot. I use DIY Kino's, foamcore for reflectors and a shower curtain as a diffuser, and one of my tripods has seen so much use its looks like a tiger's chew toy, whatever it takes to get the shot. You get hired for the image, not for pretty gear.

Amateurs worry about what their gear looks like. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That explains a lot.

There's nothing unprofessional about a speedbooster or anything else used to get the shot. I use DIY Kino's, foamcore for reflectors and a shower curtain as a diffuser, and one of my tripods has seen so much use its looks like a tiger's chew toy, whatever it takes to get the shot. You get hired for the image, not for pretty gear.

Amateurs worry about what their gear looks like. 

Depends if you're working with corporate gigs, and clients on set. And they also care what your gear looks like unfortunately. I always have to reassure some clients when I work with my NX1... If they don't see Sony or Panasonic they just freak out :/ 

• Administrators

Depends if you're working with corporate gigs, and clients on set. And they also care what your gear looks like unfortunately. I always have to reassure some clients when I work with my NX1... If they don't see Sony or Panasonic they just freak out :/ 

There's at least one major London based TV channel using Nikon D4s in the studio... can't get much worse 1080p quality than that but they seem to love it.

Tape up the Samsung logo and just tell them it's a Nikon.

It will be soon officially anyway!

Anything goes for music videos for upstart bands; but my mortgage gets paid by business/corporate videos. So no PVC pipe rigs. I have a couple DIY HMIs but they look like commercial units. And I've had zero issues shooting with any DSLR, but I generally have it on rails with a matte box & FF. Several times a client has had to squeeze by the camera in a tight setup and say "I'm being careful, I know that cost more than my house!" Amazing what matte box flags can do… 

Funny, corporate clients - if they've seen your work and it's good - don't really care about the gear the same way getting hired by an agency or media group to operate or DP do. Even so, I've had situations where someone knowledgeable raised an eyebrow at, say, an APS-C Nikon with a Series-E 100 on it. I usually say "look through the VF" and the next thing, they're snapping off phone shots of the lens - "Less a hundred bucks??!? That's my next lens!!!"

I really like using my Kessler as sort of a "fluid tripod" so when all else fails, just rig that sucker up… until someone makes a cast plastic sleeve that fits over a DSLR with a big "Arri" logo on it...

Anything goes for music videos for upstart bands; but my mortgage gets paid by business/corporate videos. So no PVC pipe rigs. I have a couple DIY HMIs but they look like commercial units. And I've had zero issues shooting with any DSLR, but I generally have it on rails with a matte box & FF. Several times a client has had to squeeze by the camera in a tight setup and say "I'm being careful, I know that cost more than my house!" Amazing what matte box flags can do… 
Funny, corporate clients - if they've seen your work and it's good - don't really care about the gear the same way getting hired by an agency or media group to operate or DP do. Even so, I've had situations where someone knowledgeable raised an eyebrow at, say, an APS-C Nikon with a Series-E 100 on it. I usually say "look through the VF" and the next thing, they're snapping off phone shots of the lens - "Less a hundred bucks??!? That's my next lens!!!"

I really like using my Kessler as sort of a "fluid tripod" so when all else fails, just rig that sucker up… until someone makes a cast plastic sleeve that fits over a DSLR with a big "Arri" logo on it...

You're lucky or maybe its the matte box that helps ;) 

Each of my client who has seen the Samsung had a comment about it "oh usually I think people use Canon or Sony right ?". Not necessarily a negative comment, but they feel reassured by seeing cameras they already seen before.

For my perspective I just talk them through, how Samsung is a step ahead of the competition, and that they will be able to judge by themselves. 

:)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A Full Frame lens + a Speedbooster = S35 lens. 

If using that setup is unprofessional then using s35 lenses is unprofessional. 

In fact, a huge number of lenses use a focal reducing elements at the end. 

The speedbooster you attach to your lens simply becomes within the optical construction, and as a whole unit it simply IS a s35 mirrorless lens. 

The quality of that s35 mirrorless lens just depends on the optical quality, like any lens in the world. Some are good and some are crap. 

The benefit of the speedbooster, companies are not making these lenses we want for APS-C and this gives you the chance make them. 

I can't buy a s35 16-70mm f/2.8 IS L lens, but I can make this lens by attaching a speedbooster optical block to a 24-105mm f/4 IS L. Canon can make that s35 lens, and it will be approximately the same size as the 24-105mm + SB setup. They can also make a 35mm F/0.96 L s35 lens, but it'll have a similar size and weight as a 50mm F/1.2 L + SB. 

Think of Speedboosted glass as a whole unit and you'll wrap your head around th concept and the power it can achieve. 

There are exceptions and every client is different, but my comment is more directed at a speedbooster being something no real pro would use when I've never encountered anyone outside of gear heads that even know what one is. If it helps you get a nice image, who gives a shit?

A mattebox and rails help if you need to look more serious. A big tripod can do the same. Same goes for a cheap external monitor. A few have noticed I'm using something as small as the A7s and now the A7rII, I just talk about how high end video is shrinking and show samples. It's never been an issue for me.

I shot interviews with 28 local millionaires for a fundraiser piece not too long ago with the A7s, two people noticed the camera, both were avid photographers, the rest were focused on getting miked up and figuring out what they wanted to say.  All were pleased with the image when I played it back after they were finished. YMMV. 

Well said. But then may be there IS nothing to the rumor. Anyway, I'm kind of surprised at the level of participation here around rumors the last few weeks (every little rumor seems to get picked up and discussed to death), I guess folks are having a lot of free time around the holidays. I suppose it is fun, but I don't think execs at a $200 billion corp like Samsung are going to need (or care about) our opinions on what they should do about lens mounts or corporate strategy.

I doubt that Nikon would use the NX mount, but you never know.....it could be a solution for them for mirrorless crops if they chose to pick up the NX1.

If there is a relationship between Nikon and Samsung it will more likely be a case of Nikon picking up the FF sensor Samsung have been developing and using it in the D5.

It certainly seems to be an odd coincidence that Nikon would announce that they are developing the D5 at the exact same time that Samsung started to pull out of the camera business. Why would they feel the need to announce that now unless something specific happened to prompt it? The implication is that the deal for the sensor for the D5 was completed in November and they are now proceeding with the development.