newfoundmass
Members-
Posts
2,536 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Articles
Everything posted by newfoundmass
-
Panasonic's full frame offerings are very good but ultimately they'll have the same problems that M43 had if they can't meet people's expectations. What also puts me off is the weight and cost of the lenses. I paid about $1500 total for my two 12-35mm (version 1 and 2) and 35-100mm (version 1) lenses on the used market. To get their full frame L-mount equivalents would be astronomical. I'd have to get the f/4 versions to get below that, which I'm sure are nice, but that's still about $1500 for each lens. Not to mention my beloved Olympus 7-14 that would cost another $1200 or so to replace. I prefer the image I see out of the S1H and the S5 but I don't think I could justify going to their full frame offerings over Sony. Sony just seems like a safer bet, and I could piece together a lens set for my uses for a bit less. Blah. I really hate how everything has played out.
-
It's not that I'm opposed to 8K, I just really hope it's more than a GH5 but with 8K. I just don't think that's enough to ensure that M43 will be viable (outside of Japan anyway, where apparently it was the most popular mount last year) moving forward. Most of us are happy with our M43 gear. That really isn't the issue. It's the long term health of the system that I'm worried about. The reality is that even a lot of the YouTubers that were M43 users have moved on to Sony, Canon or Fuji. Is that the end of the world? No, but it's a bad sign and whether we like it or not those YouTubers influence people's purchasing decisions. If they aren't selling enough cameras that's bad for all of us that are heavily invested in the system. That might not factor into everyone's decision making, but the overall health of the system definitely matters to me given the extent I'm invested in it.
-
It appears Sony has a new M43 sensor that is 30+MP and is capable of 8K. 43Rumors lists it as an FT5 on their scale: "At the beginning of November I got solid info that Sony will launch one new MFT sensor in 2021. I now got the confirmation this sensor will be able to record 8K video and have a 30+MP resolution. Now I have little doubt this is the sensor that Panasonic will use on the GH6." I really hope it's not just a GH5 with 8K, which I won't need for years and years. It's gonna be hard to get me to upgrade right away no matter what they release but just the ability to do 8K or even 4K 120p isn't going to be enough. For me this release is as much about figuring out if M43 is worth sticking with for at least the next 5 years or if I should plan to move to Sony or Fuji sooner rather than later. As much as I love what I've seen from their full frame cameras, I am very worried about Panasonic long term if they are going to remain behind on things like AF even if I really don't need those features myself. Regardless of what I want or need, the market has spoken and you need to meet their expectations if you plan to stick around.
-
For my uses a X-H2 is something that would actually be feasible for me to purchase, should it tick all the right boxes (unlimited recording and better IBIS please!) BUT still, this is a game changer and a sign of things to come. It should get people excited even if they'll never use one, because aside from the price it's an impressive technological feat that they've fit it in such a small body. Innovation and pushing things forward is what interests me these days, moreso than what I'll ever actually be able to afford. It gives me something to look forward to, as innovation trickles down to the equipment I can afford or when I can purchase it used.
-
One is medium format, the other is 8K. It'd be nice if they could do 4:2:2 but the processing power necessary is too much I'd imagine. This is a huge release, and I am kind of surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention here. Medium format video at this price is insane. This is a game changer and a sign of things to come, even if people don't realize it right now.
-
As a fellow Panasonic shooter, I'm gonna need them to really deliver something big with the GH6. They need to meet the markets expectations on things like AF because even though that's not a huge selling point for me personally it is for the future of the M43 system. As someone that's heavily invested in that system I need them to keep innovating and stay relevant, otherwise I need to consider making a switch while my equipment still has value. Others in my shoes have already gone the Sony route but I'd really like to stick with Panasonic if they can give me a reason to. Right or wrong, the reality is that it is hurting Panasonic when the legionz of vloggers and influencers whine about the auto focus. It's not helping them sell cameras.
-
I mean it's cool and all, but I have the same reaction to this that I had to the initial R5 announcement except for the price tag, which is a big woof.
-
Why Do People Still Shoot at 24FPS? It always ruins the footage for me
newfoundmass replied to herein2020's topic in Cameras
I think it just boils down to what people are used to. When I watch a film that isn't 24fps its jarring. For better or worse, it's the "standard." That translates to others in the video world wanting to film in 24 fps because they think it's more "cinematic" even if they're just YouTubers in their "studio" (aka converted guest room.) The jittering you're noticing might be related to shutter speed more than frame rate? A lot of YouTubers leave their exposure on auto or will set it to aperture priority (blurry backgrounds!) because it's easier and they're more concerned with bokeh than motion cadence. There are other reasons too why their footage might look jittery, like filming at 23.97 but editing or exporting at 24 fps (though I think most software these days is smart enough to "fix" this?) Usually though I don't notice 24 fps issues with a lot of the people that I watch that film in it. It is kinda silly though when you think about grown men in their guest bedrooms talking to a camera being worried about whether their videos look "cinematic." I don't think anyone really notices or cares, except maybe other grown adults that do the same thing! Most of my work is 29.97 fps, since that's what most event videography calls for. 24 fps is generally for weddings and narrative projects or when a client specifically asks for it. -
Has anyone tried ZLog on the Z6ii yet? Compatible?
newfoundmass replied to Ryan Plunkett's topic in Cameras
Yeah, unless you absolutely need one I don't understand using an external recorder. It just adds more bulk / effort. -
I'm basing this on an interaction with him, plus his Twitter feed and likes, not the fact that he's on LBRY. I only mention it here because I mentioned previously he was on LBRY, and given the stuff he believes it makes sense why. While much of it disappeared as Q-anon accounts were banned, there's still enough to see on his account that shows he embraces toxic views. He literally supported the military stepping in to keep Trump in power. When you believe and help spread disinformation and the same delusional stuff that caused the capital riots to happen, you're a part of the problem. This stuff should be called out in the filmmaking community.
-
There definitely is a difference, though I don't have experience with recording on a Ninja from a Canon camera in 10-bit. Canon though has always impressed me with their 8-bit files, the C100 being the camera I have the most experience with. I shoot with a GH5 and have found the 10-bit to be really beneficial but I generally use 8-bit most of the time now. I used to film everything in 10-bit but it just was unnecessary for 90% of my work. It's wonderful to have, for sure, but if I don't need that extra data then there's not much of a reason to deal with storing the large file sizes. So I wouldn't say it's just hype, but I think it's maybe slightly overrated.
-
I'm a subscriber to multiple sites like the NYT, I just have no interest in supporting ones that do what the ___Rumors sites do. The people that run them aren't real journalists that make a living off of the talent of the written word, and web hosting is cheap so it's not like their overhead is expensive. They just do it because they're greedy and are trying to squeeze as much money out of their visitors as possible. There's no reasonable reason that SonyAlphaRumors has 9 times as many trackers as DPReview, which has multiple employees.
-
Yeah, I don't visit any of those rumor sites but when I do I always use incognito mode. I get its how they make their money, but fuck that.
-
Couldn't agree more. AF is the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on but the Panny trio I have is more than capable for everything I need. I don't see how getting new cameras would improve things much at all.
-
Sticking with the GH5, G85 and GX85 for at least another year, probably longer. After 2020 I'm just not in a position to "upgrade" without going into debt, and honestly there aren't any cameras out there that really excite me for my work. Sony did really well with the A7siii but I'd need to either buy 2 or 3 because Sony doesn't really have much in terms of a solid b-cam. Their APS-C cams just don't have good enough stabilization and the rolling shutter is really bad for sports. I do expect I'll be jumping back into the Mac world given the performance people are getting with the new ones. That'll probably be the only big thing I'm going to spend money on this year or next. Just gonna see what they have in store.
-
Review of the year, 2020 - THE YEAR FROM HELL!!
newfoundmass replied to Andrew - EOSHD's topic in Cameras
It was a disastrous year for an event / wedding shooter like me. I hope that things get better by summer but I don't have a ton of faith after the shit show these last 10 months have been. The way the US has handled this has been utterly embarrassing, and it's not just the government either. The selfishness, greed and ignorance I've seen has been brutal. I always knew it was there, but it has been impossible not to be beaten over the head by it every single day. And those aren't political statements, they're facts to everyone except the deluded cultists of he who shall not be named. Good riddance to a truly awful year. Here's to a better 2021 for all of us. -
Merry Christmas to you too Andrew! Here's to a better 2021 for all of us!
-
Panasonic Lumix S5 New Firmware w/ 10-bit V-Log & DCI-4K
newfoundmass replied to SoFloCineFile's topic in Cameras
Have they added shutter angle yet? -
What androidlad said. Alternatively you can try one of those upscale plug ins that are out there. They may give you slightly better results but honestly 1080p holds up pretty well when upscaled without them.
-
Panasonic Lumix S5 New Firmware w/ 10-bit V-Log & DCI-4K
newfoundmass replied to SoFloCineFile's topic in Cameras
It's about consistency, especially when you're working on professional projects. If I deliver 23.98 fps footage to someone that hired me to film b-roll for their feature or documentary, I'm probably not going to get hired again. That footage needs to seamlessly fit into their work flow. Having a hard on for it really has nothing to do with it. If you're personally filming stuff for your own project, then shoot in whatever frame rate your heart desires. -
Those aren't attacks on the Democratic Party, those are attacks on our elections and pandering to the most delusional of Trump's supporters. You (and he) can claim all you want about how left he is, but it's a ridiculous claim. I'm not religious, but yes my relatives on my father's side are Jews. My great grandparents and their kids left during the earlier pogroms, the rest of the family were never heard from again once the Nazis invaded Lithuania. Free speech is a great thing, but not all speech deserves to be amplified. I know first hand what happens when these ideas gain traction, and it's not good.
-
Sorry, I'm not subjecting myself to QAnon, white nationalist or unfounded election conspiracies. People are dying and getting hurt because of that garbage. My ancestors were put into concentration camps by those types. A simple scroll through his videos makes the idea that he's "liberal" really laughable. Regardless: Any platform that highlights Newsmax and the other content I see highlighted is not worth supporting.
-
The second video I see upon going to LBRY is a video intending to undermine the credibility of our election. You don't live in the US so maybe it's just that you haven't seen the damage that has been done by QAnon and other bad faith actors, but you literally cannot go a day without seeing / hearing people that believe this rhetoric or reading about someone being threatened with death and violence because they're "stealing" the election. I don't care about differing views, or being exposed to them. I do care about the spread of disinformation that leads to violence and civil strife in my country. I didn't go looking for things to make me concerned when going to LBRY, those things found me in the form of their promoted videos and the large Newsmax banner under "Popular Channels."
