-
Posts
1,458 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Articles
Posts posted by John Matthews
-
-
8 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:
Well, the S1R was $3699 at launch back in 2019, and the Z8 was $3999 at launch in 2023 - and that has a 45.7MP stacked sensor (from Sony?).
So I think they'll either launch a cheapish high-res camera (S5R ?) aimed primarily at stills use (in A7CR/Z7ii price territory) followed maybe by a higher-end video-orientated camera later (S5H ?), or attempt to merge both (but I think they'd have to undercut the Z8 street price to sell enough).
But like you, I suspect they'll go for the high-res 'value' option...
One could argue that the difference in the S5ii as the photo hybrid and the S5iix as the video hybrid isn't enough of a difference. A high MP sensor in a S5ii body would make that clearer.
-
3 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:
So if it's going to be 45 - 47 MP, I wonder if it's going to be a fast stacked sensor and possibly the new camera might be a replacement for both the S1r and the S1H (giving that 8K video capability with usable rolling shutter)?
Undoubtably, Panasonic will choose a cheeper sensor with great readout times in S35 mode and less so in FF. I cannot see them taking a global shutter, but I do remember Sean of Lumix admiring the Nikon one. I just think they'd need to ask TowerJazz or someone else to make one for them because I doubt Sony will. Could be wrong though. High megapixel is not necessarily a good sign because it seems that's what you do when you cannot do a more meaningful update. Specs sell though. I do think that, if done right, 8k will offer "more". I just hope they get the downresing right.
-
3 minutes ago, Al Dolega said:
We'll see. I've started buying the m4/3 setup, and am going to sell off the L-mount stuff I haven't really used as much first. Maybe the GAS/shiny new toy instinct will take back over, but I like to think I'll be able to continue being an adult about this 😄
That's a good plan. I've now sold all of my M43 stuff (except a GH2). Honestly, if you couple DXO Noise reduction, you'll very usable shots in low light and good light for screen and print. The only thing FF does for photography is wide-angle shallow DOF for photos. Also, if you plan on using vintage lenses, FF is a better choice.
-
1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:
If the presentation is going to be a 16x20 print at 300 dpi, around 30 megapixels will suffice.
300 dpi is for photos you look at super close. A 16x20 in is not that; many photos printed at that size will have "enough detail" at 150dpi. It also depends on the printer, but print has even less of a difference than a screen because you simply cannot zoom in.
Here's my favorite video on the subject:
-
44 minutes ago, MrSMW said:
My money is on the same 61mp as in the SL3 and the Sony A7RV.
There is a second rumoured LUMIX camera supposedly going to be announced in April if the information coming out of a certain mountain shed in the Dolomites is accurate and maybe that will have this 45mp sensor?
I sometimes go back to look at my photos of the A7R2 and compare them with the S5ii. You'd really think the difference would be massive in that the Sony has 18MP more than the Panasonic. In reality, the difference seems minuscule to me. It would seem it's more about cropping than IQ. For video, I imagine the difference would be more in that you might get less moiré (not that I've ever seen in my personal footage, only in YouTube video tests).
-
3 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:
Are you talking about a higher-resolution mode using sensor shift? Fuji does this too, at least on the GFX 100 series. Though if the Olympus/Panasonic/Pentax implementations support doing it handheld, that's an improvement over Fuji's which requires a very stable tripod.
The original Canon R5 could do it too - no idea how well it worked, but I think I read that they removed the mode from the R5 II in favor of "AI" upscaling... a place where "progress" isn't.
I wasn't aware that Fuji did Pixel shift in-camera. My understanding that others do it but it takes software after the fact, making practically unusable for critical applications and a difficult workflow. Does Fuji offer Live Composite, Live ND, or Focus Stacking in-camera too? Again, the key is "in-camera" because it's a deal-breaker for many who actually use those features.
12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:Olympus perfected it and OM System inherited it, big difference.
I don't see how this matters for evaluating the product, other than evaluating the current performance of the company. Does it stand that Nikon is a crap company for implementing RED Codecs because they didn't invent it themselves; therefore, their products that have are somehow not good? I don't think so. Who cares how they got it? It's in the camera- great!
15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:The styling is subjective, I think it's fake looking and fugly.
That's my point. It's a "stylish" camera. That means something different to many people. I think it looks good and has some amazing specs for what it is, not for whatever is around it in the lineup. It's great that the OM-1 costs half as much. People will have that option too. However, I do believe people are going to buy it massively, even if there's a "better", heavier, bigger camera for half as much. Why would anyone have ever purchased a GM1 over a GH4- because they're different use-cases. Oddly, the GH4 is now LESS expensive than the GM1 in the used market. I have a feeling the OM-3 will be a desirable camera for years to come, with its lack of innovation and all.
-
So the OM-3 isn't bringing anything new to the table other than subjective beauty?
It just so happens there are many features that still, to this day, are not being done in other camera systems that Olympus/OM System have perfected. With the exceptions of Pentax and Panasonic, no one else offers High-res Shot Mode. With the exception of Panasonic, no one does Live Composite. What about Live ND? No one does that. How about Focus Stacking in-camera? Nope, no one does that either.
"In-camera" is an essential point. Why? Because you get another chance at taking the image if you muck it up. With other brands, you might get it right, but there's no way to check.
- Is the OM-3 revolutionary? No.
- Is it expensive? Yes, for now.
- Is it unique? Yes, because it's stylish. (with a IP53 rating, a huge deal for some)
No other camera on the market offers these unique selling points in a stylish body that weighs only 496g. Actually, I think it's a bit of a marvel in that it weighs only 82g more than the E-M5iii/OM-5, you get a more advanced processor, a new sensor, a metal body, and a bigger, more advanced battery. Not bad.
Will it sell? Not great at $2000, but like with all of their previous releases, it'll go down $200-400 in the next 6 months. Also, Fuji production is late. Also, M43 users were waiting for something like this. It will sell out, I suspect.
-
6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:
As the OM-3 is now on camerasize.com, this is the OM-1, OM-3 and OM-5 compared (weights are around 600g, 500g and 410g):
This line-up seems quite reasonable to me. OM-1 (latest and greatest tech), OM-3 (a mix of the latest and greatest but with full-metal, stylish-hipster build), and the OM-5 (does almost everything, but super small and light and utilitarian).
-
6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:
It basically shares its internals with the OM-1 ii (including the fast stacked sensor), but looses a card slot, the joystick, has a lower-res EVF and fewer function buttons.
(The older and cheaper OM-5 basically reuses the internals from the E-M1 iii).
Yeah, this OM-3 seems like it's several generations ahead of the OM-5 (which was practically an E-M5iii, a camera I bought twice- it was great!). So, what's the rub? The competition is off the wall when considering the money, but if you're not looking for extreme value. I could take 98% of my shots with this camera, a 17mm f/1.8, and a 40-150mm kit lens.
My problem is I simply have too many vintage lenses to ignore and now FF makes more sense as I want better coverage of my lenses, not just the center. Also, this camera only makes sense if you're really into M43 (like I was), but for $2k, I'd rather pick up a S5 and a ton of vintage lenses and an L-mount kit lens.
-
Yeah, I won't buy the OM-3 at this price.
-
For $2000, the build needs to be excellent. It looks good to me. Would I buy it? No, not at that price, but I'm no longer invested in M43- sadly because I really do love the mount. Also, I don't mind the utilitarian look of the non-retro cameras.
However, I must say the OM-3 is probably going to hit the mark much better than the S9, another camera without a grip. Yes, the S9 is FF, but without smaller lenses and a proper mechanical shutter. The OM-3 just has so many lenses that work for it. IMO, it's the ecosystem that is, once again, the real strength of the OM-3- also it has most great features people want. The 17mm and 25mm look to be hits, once they're on promotion.
I'm not of the opinion that OM System = cheap Chinese scam gear of the type you see on Amazon for $100. That's preposterous.
-
On 2/4/2025 at 2:51 AM, IronFilm said:
If Panasonic brings out an APS-C camera with an L Mount (that isn't specifically a S35 "EVA2" or the next Varicam, which is very unlikely currently) then that's the 10ft high writing on the wall for me to sell all of my MFT equipment before their value totally tanks.
I doubt their coming out with anything APS-C, but from I've seen with the original Four Thirds mount, it doesn't follow that prices will tank. Sure, you can pick up a Olympus E-420 with 2 kit zooms for about 100 euros, but that camera is 15 years old on a dead mount. Also, brand new, it would cold less than 500 euros- not bad considering 15 years of use. Even Samsung's mount didn't have prices tank, they will go down eventually though until the collectors want them. Cameras are never investments unless they're collectable and if you find a deal. Actually, I'm surprised there isn't more interest in vintage lenses as they're old and limited in quantity.
-
22 minutes ago, cosarth said:
Unfortunately, according to multiple youtubers who reviewed the new firmware, it's not.
I guess that's only for the S9 (and whatever might be coming next). I have to say it's a strange limitation if this is truly the case.
-
Has anyone checked to see if, with the new firmware, the S5ii/x has working PDAF in FF at 50/60fps? If not, I can check.
-
4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:
Ultimately I went with Lumix primes instead, which you are pretty affordable on sites like MPB. You can get the 50mm f1.8 for $229 in "Like New" condition; for that price you might as well just get it over the Meike 50mm F1.8 at $169 new. It's a better lens and it's better made.
Another issue I've had with third party lenses is that they aren't always consistent. A 35mm will have different color shifts and characteristics than the 50mm does and so on. I've even experienced where the same lens, bought together at the same time, had color shifts between them! It's why I really like what Panasonic has done, as every lens is not only the same size but they are pretty much identical optically. I can easily switch between them without adjusting anything.
Yes. Those are clear issues. It's possible a 3rd party will hit it out of the park with one or two lenses, but when you take the whole lineup into consideration, there often seems to be a hole. For critical professional use, it can be a problem. However, some lenses don't need that kind of consistency to exist in a bag.
-
I guess there are more Lumix updates:
Actually, I'm quite happy about having some of those features. In particular, I'm very interest in trying out the mp4 Lite and hybrid zoom; the later is a feature is a unique selling point. Cool.
Quick question: would Sony, Canon, or Nikon have released this firmware or would they have released a new camera?
-
4 hours ago, MrSMW said:
If it happens, I hope they release an entire set of lenses and not drip drip drip lenses because I personally don’t like mix & match sets of lenses if I can at all avoid it.
It's great there are 3rd party lens manufacturers. I never get them though. I would probably only consider Sigma (if they're the right size).
-
His thoughts on digital.
- PannySVHS and Andrew - EOSHD
-
1
-
1
-
7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:
Wtf!
Not only that you cannot search for videos anymore, they also killed browsing other accounts.You cannot browse through other peoples videos anymore! If you click on someones user account, nothing happens.
So nobody can find my videos nor browse through my uploaded videos. What did I just pay 70 EUR for again, on a side note? Total rip off and theft.
Oh yeah, they deleted groups and collections too. No love for film, no respect for people. They just disfunctioned an entire community with a blink of an eye, without any warning.
That's like a warning about other tech companies into which we put our trust, faith and fate. That means for the internet of things, if someone pulls the plug, no sandwiches for you tonight or any night, buddy.
Sounds to me like they put a young-up-and-coming in charge of product. Less is more, right?
-
10 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:
And L mount needs cheap and SMALL lenses. In a word - bring Viltrox to L-Mount. Panasonic releasing a 26mm f/8 manual lens with the S9 for $199 and Viltrox releasing a 28mm f/4.5 SMALLER and WITH AF for $99 was one of the most shameless moments of the year.
Definitely. 2 pancakes could save the S9.
10 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:One last mystery: who makes the GH7 / G9 II 25mp sensor? OM needs it badly.
My understanding is that this is an exclusive sensor. Maybe, it could be used by another company, but I see OM System needing better video tools and IQ before their to using it. Also, M43 sensors are more likely MORE expensive than some of the FF sensors.
If M43 truly dies, it'll be because of squandered opportunities by Panasonic and OM System, especially in the compact market as Fuji has seemingly stolen the market. It turns out "small and functional" should have been the end-game, not the class-leading features that they came up with.
They could still strike gold, even in this market. Both could give a FF, cheap, fixed-lens small and portable camera. If it looks good, it'll be amazing. IMO, 2025 will be a rehash of the dark days of poor quality cameras of the 1980's, but it could also be the glory years of the 50's when it comes to small cameras. Let's hope for the latter.
We should have some sympathy for these manufacturers too. Phones hit the "good enough" threshold long ago. Used cameras have been so good. Rising costs for manufacturing. Everything they knew about marketing has completely changed with influencers. And, to top it all off, political instability from oligarch life has led all these companies to second guess everything. Oh, I didn't mention the constant threats of war and tariffs in places that matter for them. That's quite a rap list.
-
The great David Lynch passed away. Here's a trailer of one of my favorite films he made:
More recently, he made his weather reports... I'm thinking of a long, long joke, but I'm sure it gave him a good reason to make something (wish I could do that sometimes).
He will be missed.
-
-
34 minutes ago, MrSMW said:
All an S2H would need to be for me is FF 6k 60p version of the S5II internals and it’s a done deal for me.
Same for me. I just want the GH6 tilt-up screen functionality.
34 minutes ago, MrSMW said:Decent, but not Sony level stickiness, ie, could be better.
It's good enough though. Sony falters too sometimes. The best focus system for me is the one that gives the best manual focus aids without attaching a monitor.
-

OM-System OM-3.... Um!
In: Cameras
Posted
Here's a great walk though of build on the OM-3: