Canon anounces new very long cinema-zoom 50-1000mm !!

andy lee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Ha?!

1000mm?

Why wouldn't they announce it for photography first with autofocus capbability? It has a HUGE market their, not so much for cinema use. Canon has no such terrific lens their line up.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Ha?!

1000mm?

Why wouldn't they announce it for photography first with autofocus capbability? It has a HUGE market their, not so much for cinema use. Canon has no such terrific lens their line up.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

and by the way it has a built-in 1.5x teleconverter, so with a flick of a switch it's a 1500mm lens. The only I can think this is not made as a photography L lens is that it's not fullframe compatiable, just s35, so perhaps having an expensive aps-c L lens is not desirable by Canon. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Why? The price? Yes perhaps the reason is that the lens can't be produced for a more photography-friendly price. It's 78 thousand dollars, a price most wildlife/sports photographers wouldn't pay even half. But I do know that any sports/wildlife photographer has been waiting for such a lens for decades, the market is enormous for a cheaper L version of this.

The prive is ridiculously high but I can imagine it being popular as a rental item for broadcasters and sports people, perhaps some cinematographers who want to shoot at 1500mm (I don't know any!)

and by the way it has a built-in 1.5x teleconverter, so with a flick of a switch it's a 1500mm lens. The only I can think this is not made as a photography L lens is that it's not fullframe compatiable, just s35, so perhaps having an expensive aps-c L lens is not desirable by Canon. 

its a PL Mount cinema lens ....so Super 35 only it will not cover full frame.

its not designed for photography at all.

Someone has to make a dolly zoom shot with this lens, the whole range of it. That'd be awesome :D

Why? The price? Yes perhaps the reason is that the lens can't be produced for a more photography-friendly price. It's 78 thousand dollars, a price most wildlife/sports photographers wouldn't pay even half. But I do know that any sports/wildlife photographer has been waiting for such a lens for decades, the market is enormous for a cheaper L version of this.

It's 6,6 kg. Canon advertises it as small and lightweight, but it's not really a lens you are going to carry around in a bag for wildlife photography.

Also, how cheap would a cheaper version be? $20K is still crazy.

Also, what is the point of 50-1000mm? How often do you want to change from 50 to 1000mm in photography? If you do, it's much easier to use two camera's with different lenses. If you want this kind of reach with photography, go with a 400mm f/2.8, or 600mm f/4 and add a 2x / 1.4x converter. Thats what wildlife photographers do. I don't think they'd prefer a 6 kg 50-1000mm f/8.

Some cheap alternatives for those 400mm / 600mm lenses would be nice though. Canon used to make a 400mm f/5.6L. Compact, high quality.

They should make a high quality 600mm or 800mm f/8, that'd be interesting for wildlife/sports. Especially now image quality at high iso's is so good compared to a decade ago.

If you want reach for less $$$, It'll be interesting to see how the new Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Sports performs, and coupled with the new Sigma 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.