Canon 5D Mark III uncompressed HDMI firmware update v1.2.1 now available

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
5D Mark III firmware update 1.2.1

Download here

The long awaited, year in the making uncompressed HDMI feature has now been added to the 5D Mark III.

The firmware has been leaked from a Canon service station and is now available to download before the official 30th April release date. I've installed it and I'm testing the HDMI image quality with my Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle now.

Article will be updated with my findings shortly...[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10217/canon-5d-mark-iii-uncompressed-hdmi-firmware-update-v1-2-1-now-available]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So as tweeted, the recording is still as soft... guess I'm getting a GH3 for video work then, why was I even waiting for this, for the price of an external recorder + 5DIII anyways I can get a couple BMPCs to record along with the GH3, not sure yet if the GH3 can work alongside my 5DII for photos, but AF and DR are at least better... 
Oh right, Black Magic needs to actually deliver those cameras before we can all say we're getting one, such challenging times for budget video!

Neumann films is posting that Magic Lantern has hacked the 5d - 14bit RAW cinema DNG. holy poop. need more details

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468825709854869&set=a.132750566795720.23918.132492190154891&type=1&theater

Magic lantern just re-tweeted this:

"With Magic Lantern now possible to take 2040x1428 14bit RAW DNG without shutter actuation on 5D2 and 5D3. Time lapsers dream come true"

So i think this might still be limited to 6fps.

Magic lantern just re-tweeted this:

"With Magic Lantern now possible to take 2040x1428 14bit RAW DNG without shutter actuation on 5D2 and 5D3. Time lapsers dream come true"

So i think this might still be limited to 6fps.

Luke is saying 24fps video 

• It works with the Nanoflash: 24p. Live preview on a Samsung D8000 looked really good (shooting a model up close).
  • Didn't see a way to enable camera display with HDMI out at same time.
  • Didn't appear to send audio out HDMI (perhaps is turned down or off- need to explore).
  • Zero increase in resolution vs. internal: A/B test in Premiere.
  • Color and brightness shift internal vs. external (perhaps Nanoflash issue (HDMI Color: was on Full vs. Legal)).
  • Nanoflash at max bitrate (180Mbps) had major macroblocking vs internal IPB (1080p24). Camera stationary on desk.

Have other tasks to take care of, then can explore more.

Installed and running.  The HDMI signal from the camera is showing no overlays and image is edge to edge on a 1920x1080 TV.  It was nice to find the new "Mirroring" menu option.  In the pic below, the camera is connected to the monitor and the LCD remains on.  When I press record, both stay on, however the red  recording dot only showed up on the camera LCD.

BIzeGEpCcAAOGRJ.jpg

BIzf3q1CcAAtjFz.jpg

I missed the Mirroring option in my first bunch of tests. So does it avoid the need to press Info multiple times when you turn the camera on to get a clean HDMI image?

Hi Andrew, I am not having to hit the info button.  I turn the camera on, with the mirroring option previously set, LCD image appears, and a brief second later the monitor comes up clean.

• Administrators

Hi Andrew, I am not having to hit the info button.  I turn the camera on, with the mirroring option previously set, LCD image appears, and a brief second later the monitor comes up clean.

Good to know Rob. I've updated the article.

Hi,
Since updating firmware I'm getting audio lag of about 10 frames, when recording. I'm monitoring from image displayed on camera screen, no hdmi plugged in. audio feed from juiced link pre amp into cameras Mic socket.Monitoring audio from cameras headphones jack. Using fast sandisk ultra cards , same as always.this is a method I've used succesfully many times before, only change is update. It's recording to card correctly but is far too disconcerting to monitor.
Anyone else experienced this?
Many thanks.