APS-C and Super 35mm just went full frame - Metabones Speed Booster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

>$599

It's not THAT revolutionary,

It is. This thing saves a shitload of money you'd have to spend on glass and this is the most amazing wide angle solution for MFT...

Cheap 50mm f/1.8 = 35mm f/1.2
Cheap 24mm f/2.8 = 17mm f/2
Sigma 20mm f/1.8 = 14mm f/1.2 (drool)

It is. This thing saves a shitload of money you'd have to spend on glass and this is the most amazing wide angle solution for MFT...

Cheap 50mm f/1.8 = 35mm f/1.2
Cheap 24mm f/2.8 = 17mm f/2
Sigma 20mm f/1.8 = 14mm f/1.2 (drool)

I dont think that is right.

A FF lens 50mm 1.8 will be (with the adaptor) 50mm f/1.2   not 35mm ... am i wrong ?

You cant mount apcs size lens (50mm f/1.8).

I dont think that is right.

A FF lens 50mm 1.8 will be (with the adaptor) 50mm f/1.2   not 35mm ... am i wrong ?

You cant mount apcs size lens (50mm f/1.8).

Buy a Speed Booster + 50mm 1.8 or buy a 35mm f/1.2 without speed booster. They will give the same image characteristics (an image equivalent to 50mm f/1.8 on a fullframe-sensor)

Speed-Booster-comparison.png

An easy way to comprehend what this converter does is just imagining the opposite of an extender/teleconverter.

A teleconverter makes your focal lenght longer, you loose light, depth of field and sharpness. The Speed Booster makes your focal length shorter, you win light, dof and sharpness (in theory..).

This adapter doesn't actually make the lens wider. It just keeps the same FOV as you would see on a Full Frame body. So a 50mm+Speed Booster on a Super 35mm sensor will give you around the same FOV as a 50mm on a FF body. Pretty neat. It also means you won't have to upgrade to a FF Body to achieve that FF shallow depth of field. Basically, you pay $600 to turn your APS-C camera into a FF body. It's just too bad it will only work on mirrorless cameras.  

Imagine a version of this with only the speed booster : MFT camera > speed booster > MFT lens.

Those would be killer!

That's not how it works. It provides more light to the sensor by virtue of taking the larger image circle and compressing it (intensifying) to the smaller sensor size. You can only compress lenses that provide a larger image circle. So FF to APS-C (or smaller), or APS-C to mFT (or smaller).

I can't wait to adapt my Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S onto my GH3 with the speed booster. 

ALSO, question for you guiz. With this adapter some older MF zooms with the (extra stop of light?) plus wider focal length are going to become very appealing. What's going to be the best? zoom range + f/stop wise.

This adapter doesn't actually make the lens wider. It just keeps the same FOV as you would see on a Full Frame body. So a 50mm+Speed Booster on a Super 35mm sensor will give you around the same FOV as a 50mm on a FF body.

Which means it makes your lens wider... just like an extender makes your lens longer.

Which means it makes your lens wider... just like an extender makes your lens longer.

I think folks are just arguing over language. It makes the field of vision at the sensor wider, yes. The field of vision at the lens, and the focal length, remain unchanged. An extender (as a wide angle adapter) does it differently, as it works with the light entering the lens, not exiting.

I remember we were chatting a long while back about these, I remember at the time there was some kind of patent -- maybe Eastman Kodak -- that meant no-one could make them, so I'm glad this has been worked around. Maybe the Isco/Schnieder patent can too...

Although many find it hard to believe  all the research I've done shows there's no significant downsides to this technology. It's actually used INSIDE some premium M4/3 lenses at the moment, with established  F2.8 designs incorporating an optical reducer in order to give a nice field of view for the crop sensor and bump up the F-stop.

I'dve though the only downside will be that with some lenses the corners will remain the same, while only the centre will be sharper. Not much of a downside.

It's a bit like scaling down footage shot on a soft camera, suddenly it's much sharper than before...

this is the best bit of news i have seen in a long while.  What a simple yet superbly innovative idea.  At first I expected it to cut down light transmission as you get with 1.4x and 2x extenders.  and affect the sharpness loads.  But from the tests it looks only marginally softer.  the best part of this is that we'll get extra speed, while the dof remains the same.  is this right?  

Although many find it hard to believe  all the research I've done shows there's no significant downsides to this technology. It's actually used INSIDE some premium M4/3 lenses at the moment, with established  F2.8 designs incorporating an optical reducer in order to give a nice field of view for the crop sensor and bump up the F-stop.

hence all the unbelievable lens figures in m4/3 mount.  Wides with nuts fast apertures.  Now it makes sense how they actually do this.

I think folks are just arguing over language. It makes the field of vision at the sensor wider, yes. The field of vision at the lens, and the focal length, remain unchanged. An extender (as a wide angle adapter) does it differently, as it works with the light entering the lens, not exiting.

Yes, it's a language thing... of course it doesn't physically change the lens, but you get exactly the same image you would get with a wider lens.

By extender I mean a teleconverter (which also works with the light exiting), which works the same but the other way around.
Canon-Extender-Tele-Converter-1.4x-MK-II

@Richg101: Yes indeed. Extra speed, better quality in theory (downscaling the lens faults) and same dof as on fullframe. Just imagine the exact opposite effects of a 1.4x extender.

That's not how it works. It provides more light to the sensor by virtue of taking the larger image circle and compressing it (intensifying) to the smaller sensor size. You can only compress lenses that provide a larger image circle. So FF to APS-C (or smaller), or APS-C to mFT (or smaller).

I was actually thinking of using my old Lomo oct-18 (that would cover 35mm anyway if I'm not mistaking) with this to get a bit more light/larger FOV...

I understand that "native" m43 lenses would not benefit from this adapter.

Metabones seem to be making Leica R adapters, so let's assume they'll produce a Leica R to m43 speedbooster.

Would that work to get an adapted m43 lens to m43 speedbooster?

m43 camera > Speedbooster Leica R to m43 > m43 to Leica R adapter (passive) > whatever format to m43

A bit complicated, I know ...