Small B cam question

Leto

Hi everyone. I'm new here with a very "newbie" question.

I've been making videos with no crew, a 60D, and an awful B cam. I'm really just an enthusiast level so my Premiere skills and time are limited.

I need to replace my B cam with something not too hard to intercut with the 60D (I've figured out the old cam to where as long as I use lots of light I can get everything except DR to look close but it ain't easy.

I want small with autofocus because running back and forth to focus my tripod B cam sucks and also will do double duty for some experimental POV shooting so basically I'm looking at an rx100 and a lx7.

Couple of questions:
I want to get my 60D close to final look in camera and use premiere mostly just to match. Shooting either "Faithful" or "Standard" with only the sharpness and saturation slightly tuned down, tweaking my colors in camera as close as I can to what I want.

So are there sony and panasonic styles that come close? Which do you think is likely closer? I know people like "sunset" on Sony but will the colors shift and be harder to match? I've avoided canon "portrait" for that reason even though I like the look it won't intercut well (soft pink becomes hot pink and no way to turn it back with my limited skills). Is there a Panasonic equivalent? Even if I have to compromise my Canon look to make matching easier and save time in post does anyone have advice on this?

Next question. I played with an rx100 in the store and noticed kelvin white balance with WB shift that looks exactly like my Canon. Can I set WB plus WB shift same on both and expect the colors to be close? Haven't handled an LX7 but website says "manual 2 axis white balance" Is that the same kind of adjustment or is it different? Seems to me the Canon and Sony actually have 3axis control (green vs magenta, blue vs amber, and warm vs cool, right???) Would the rx100 then be easier to match color?

Also, I suspect there will be rx100 hack eventually since it's so popular right now. Should be able to adjust bitrate then, right? or does AVCHD make that unlikely? Any chance of an LX7 hack?

Also, rx100 has focus peaking out of the box, does the lx7 have it?

Thanks for the help!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Well, I'm not shooting with a GH2. I got my 60D as my main camera and that isn't changing soon. My budget is pretty small so I'm looking to maximize my purchase. The cam I'm replacing as my "b" is a Casio EX-F1 I bought way back for shooting sports at 300FPS for educational purposes. It's not great for this purpose though it's better than you might think.

It requires me to do what is for me a lot of processing with my limited skills and limited software. I'd get a used t2i and be done with it except I need something that can:
A. Go full auto when needed.
B. Be small enough to use for my POV projects (right now I'm using a cellphone).

I have done a lot of work with a t2i and an RX100. There is work involved when matching, but its not impossible. I actually just shot my first wedding tonight with the combo (backing up files as we speak!)

I'll send you some footage when I'm done with an edit, that will probably help you more than anything

[quote name='Leto' timestamp='1353217005' post='21890']
It requires me to do what is for me a lot of processing with my limited skills and limited software. I'd get a used t2i and be done with it except I need something that can:
A. Go full auto when needed.
B. Be small enough to use for my POV projects (right now I'm using a cellphone).
[/quote]

Go Pro?

My friend Jim Makes these:

http://www.lifeisunruly.com

[quote name='galenb' timestamp='1353303963' post='21911']
Go Pro
[url="http://www.lifeisunruly.com"]http://www.lifeisunruly.com[/url]
[/quote]

No ability to control focus or zoom when I need it, only auto WB? No thank you.
I would love to own a GoPro but it doesn't fit my main needs.

[quote name='Leto' timestamp='1352906540' post='21634']
Hi everyone. I'm new here with a very "newbie" question.

I've been making videos [b]with no crew[/b], a 60D, and an awful B cam. I'm really just an enthusiast level so my Premiere skills and time are limited.

[/quote]

Dude, RESPECT. Wow. I Admire film-makers who can make films, with No Crew. I've had that experience, and for me, it outlines film-making skills, beyond Everything Else.

About your B Cam:
1. Make sure the cam you pick up, does24p.
2. Has decent low light.
3. Check whether the cameras have sound in (for mics).

You could pick up the GH2, and get an Adaptor, to use your canon glass, on it.
There is a great offer on the GH2, right now, a dicussed, in the other post. Check it:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1582-black-friday-fun/

Best of Luck

• Administrators
If you don't get a b-cam that uses the same lenses as your A-cam that could be a additional cost I'd say. NEX 5N is a cheap body but not sure what lenses you're using on the 60D. If EF then you need the Metabones adapter and it is not cheap.

Why not just pick up a used 550D / T2i as the B-cam? It is the same as the 60D when it comes to the image.

Thanks guys. I need it to do multiple roles. The problem with a t2i is I need to be able to hand it to someone that needs autofocus due to not being a real cameraman. Otherwise I can easily borrow a t2i for some shots. The Gh2 for $499 Black Friday is very tempting!

But I was also hoping to replace the head cam POV thing I'm doing and the GH2 is too big for that. If I could afford it I could get a GH2 as B cam for 90% of my stuff and maybe a gopro for the other 10%.

Anyway, I feel like rx100 or lx7 is probably the answer. I think the quality is good enough for my final product output expectations but not totally sure of that.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1353379091' post='21981']
If you don't get a b-cam that uses the same lenses as your A-cam that could be a additional cost I'd say. NEX 5N is a cheap body but not sure what lenses you're using on the 60D. If EF then you need the Metabones adapter and it is not cheap.

Why not just pick up a used 550D / T2i as the B-cam? It is the same as the 60D when it comes to the image.
[/quote]

I agree with Andrew. If you use any other cam, the colour, and the resolution will be an issue, too. You'll have to work a little, on that, in post.

Amazon black friday deal: lx7 for $299 delivered. That kinda made up my mind for me. I figure I can always return it or sell it and not lose money.

I also briefly considered a 229$ s100 jist for the POV stuff leaving me enough money to buy a bigger general purpose b cam but luckily I spent some time in vimeo looking at footage and the DR is just wholy inedequate for intercut with 60d.

I'll let you know how the lx7 works out.
I suspect if business progresses well I'll add a deeply discounted gh2 in 6-10 months...