Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lmackreath

Sony RX100 Shutter Speeds in Video

5 posts in this topic

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
I have succumbed and have an RX100 coming this week to be my B camera to my Sony Nex 5N![/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
I ideally want to shoot footage on the RX100 to look identical to that of the 5N so if I was to use both at a function I could easily mix in footage from both cameras to create a final piece.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
The constant question marks over shutter speeds at 50p on both cameras is also bothering me. I shot some footage at 50p 1/50 to see if the footage would be useable both in slow motion in a 25p timeline and also at normal speed in a 25p timeline. In both cases I was not too happy with the motion blur, It just does not look as good as shooting either natively at 25p at 1/50 or 50p 1/100 for slow mo in a 25p timeline.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
Based on the above I think you have to make a decision before you shoot any footage at 50p that is to be used in a 25p timeline. That decision is to whether your footage is going to be slowed down in post or not. Based on this answer you can then decide to shoot 50p at 1/100 for slow mo or 1/50 for nornal speed..although like I said I still think 1/50 shutter at 50p at normal speed in a 25p timeline still does not like as good as shooting natively at 25p on the camera (which you cannot obviously do on the RX100, but you can on the 5N)[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
I will always be putting any footage I shoot in a 25p line so that is the only constant I am sticking with…its how I merge the footage from both cameras and get the best settings on both to deliver the best output….that is my main concern and caveat at this stage.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
With all this in mind I think I might choose to use my NEX 5N for 25p 1/50 footage and my RX100 for 50p 1/100 slow mo footage exclusively.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
If anyone can give any sage help and advice on this I would greatly appreciate it.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras
[quote name='hmcindie' timestamp='1352808273' post='21551']
Motion blur depends on your shutter angle. Check that it is the same.
[/quote]

Sorry???

[quote name='hmcindie' timestamp='1352808273' post='21551']
Motion blur depends on your shutter angle. Check that it is the same.
[/quote]

The sony RX100, a $600 pocket camera, does not have a "shutter angle." I understand what you're saying but your comment will probably be lost on others with this camera.

My advice is to try a few different/unconventional speeds. Try something lower than 1/50 and in between 1/50 and 1/100 - rules are meant to be broken. I've noticed that I can get just about every aspect of the RX100 to match my other cameras except motion. It just seems to handle it differently.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Sony A6000 - Synthwave music video with slot car race
      By elkanah77
      Wanted to showcase my latest album with a song fitting the 80s and what better way than a slot car racing track. Doesn't get any more 80s than that. Looked up a guy with a Scalextric slot card track and brought over my A6000,the kit-lens, the 50mm 1.8m two cheap LED lights and some blue gels and got to work. Lit everything so it would look like moonshine on a clear night and just got the angles. Edited in PP and stabilized. Some grading needed but no noise reduction used. Everything is handheld including the POV, although that took some DIY to get right.

• Sony F3 + Gemini Kit
      By Riadnasla
      Selling my F3 package to finance a more lightweight kit. All gear is in excellent condition, with very minor cosmetic blemishes in one or two areas. All Firmware is latest from Sony and Convergent Design's website. Shipping will be calculated from Langley, Canada. Pictures will be available soon. 
      Kit includes:
      1x Sony PMW-F3 with S-log upgrade and 3rd party cheeseplate on handle
      1x 16GB SxS card
      1x 32GB SxS card
      1x Sonnet SxS to SD card adapter
      2x Swit S-U63 Batteries
      1x Kata Camera Bag
      1x Fotodiox Canon FD to Sony FZ lens adapter
      1x Gemini 4:4:4 DPX
      2x HD-SDI cables
      3x Convergent Design 256GB 1.8" SSD
      1x Convergent Design 512GB 1.8" SSD
      1x Convergent Design Universal Transfer Station
      1x KWI USB adapter for UTS
      1x Convergent Design eSATA transfer station
      1x AC to 4-pin XLR power cable
      1x 4-pin XLR to Alexa Lemo power adapter
      1x Custom-built D-tap to Alexa Lemo power cable and power switch

Looking to get $6450 CAD, open to offers or trades for reasonable C100MkII kit. 
    • WTB Sony F35
      By Oscar Downing
      Looking everwhere for a Sony F35
      email: oscardowning@hotmail.com
    • Samsung NX1 with 16-50 mm f 2-2.8 S Lens, Vertical Grip & Battery (NEW AND UNOPENED)
      By pintowar
      I am selling a complete pack of Samsung NX1 that includes the following:
      -Body NX1 camera
      -Samsung NX 16-50mm f / 2.0-2.8 S Series Zoom OIS lens
      -Grip and 2 batteries
      -Charger

Totally brand new. Sealed and with the plastic still put. As seen in the photos.

Shipping to worldwide.
      Price: 2100 €, shipping costs included.
      Method of payment: by bank transfer or Paypal.

• First Time Posting - Introducing myself with a new camera reel
      By Riadnasla
      Hello! 
      I've referenced this website for trouble-shooting as any other lurker for the last few years, but finally set up an account and logged in recently. Figured I'd introduce myself and start joining the conversations, starting with posting my first camera reel. 
      Except for shooting speaker events and conferences, all footage was shot exclusively with my Sony PMW-F3, and much of that was recorded via my Convergent Design Gemini 444 with S-Log. For this project, I did the colour in Premiere CC's Lumetri Panel, using Tangent's Element-Vs app for fine-tuning. (for more detailed work, I often print in Resolve free). The conferences are typically the resulting file from live-editing jobs, where we record with Canon XA30s into a Roland V-1HD and recorded on an Atomos recorder. We're still waiting on our automated pan/tilt heads before we can kick that business into high gear.