Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lmackreath

Sony RX100 Shutter Speeds in Video

5 posts in this topic

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
I have succumbed and have an RX100 coming this week to be my B camera to my Sony Nex 5N![/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
I ideally want to shoot footage on the RX100 to look identical to that of the 5N so if I was to use both at a function I could easily mix in footage from both cameras to create a final piece.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
The constant question marks over shutter speeds at 50p on both cameras is also bothering me. I shot some footage at 50p 1/50 to see if the footage would be useable both in slow motion in a 25p timeline and also at normal speed in a 25p timeline. In both cases I was not too happy with the motion blur, It just does not look as good as shooting either natively at 25p at 1/50 or 50p 1/100 for slow mo in a 25p timeline.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
Based on the above I think you have to make a decision before you shoot any footage at 50p that is to be used in a 25p timeline. That decision is to whether your footage is going to be slowed down in post or not. Based on this answer you can then decide to shoot 50p at 1/100 for slow mo or 1/50 for nornal speed..although like I said I still think 1/50 shutter at 50p at normal speed in a 25p timeline still does not like as good as shooting natively at 25p on the camera (which you cannot obviously do on the RX100, but you can on the 5N)[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
I will always be putting any footage I shoot in a 25p line so that is the only constant I am sticking with…its how I merge the footage from both cameras and get the best settings on both to deliver the best output….that is my main concern and caveat at this stage.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
With all this in mind I think I might choose to use my NEX 5N for 25p 1/50 footage and my RX100 for 50p 1/100 slow mo footage exclusively.[/background][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
If anyone can give any sage help and advice on this I would greatly appreciate it.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='hmcindie' timestamp='1352808273' post='21551']
Motion blur depends on your shutter angle. Check that it is the same.
[/quote]

Sorry???

[quote name='hmcindie' timestamp='1352808273' post='21551']
Motion blur depends on your shutter angle. Check that it is the same.
[/quote]

The sony RX100, a $600 pocket camera, does not have a "shutter angle." I understand what you're saying but your comment will probably be lost on others with this camera.

My advice is to try a few different/unconventional speeds. Try something lower than 1/50 and in between 1/50 and 1/100 - rules are meant to be broken. I've noticed that I can get just about every aspect of the RX100 to match my other cameras except motion. It just seems to handle it differently.