Black Magic Micro and Gimbal (and monitor q)

Turboguard

So the BMMCC is just around the corner (if you believe the expected availability), and I have a buyer of my BMPCC to try to go lighter and also gain all the updates like FPS and Global shutter with the BMMCC. BUT MOST OF ALL, I am finally going to invest in a GIMBAL, but sadly it can't be a 2-3k one. So my question is, do you guys think the new pistol grip gimbals with the BMMCC and maybe the speedbooster for BMPCC and Sigma could be a nice upgrade?

I feel like I'm pretty good stabilizing with just a monopod at the moment, but def want to upgrade and get those smoooth pans and moves :)

Any ideas from you pros' on how I could achieve the cheapest best setup with this info?

And do you think I should do pistol grip or just invest in the DJI Ronin M in case my lenses are heavy?

Grateful for all replies and info!

EDIT: I assume the BMPCC Speedbooster will fit. I am going the the Black Magic Design event here in NYC next week and will def know by then.

EDIT 2: Should I go with the Video Assist or the SmallHD 501 or 502?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Since the Micro will record internally I would go for the SmallHD 501/502. Its great IMO.

​Thanks, I read something about the Video Assist probably being some kind of old monitor so it wouldn't really stand up the 501 which is not that much more. And like you say about internal recording, I'm not really in need of second recorder.

Yeah, that sounds like a great gimbal Aaron. :P

But true enough point... Have you figured out how you are going to monitor your footage? It has no screen. It doesn't have built-in wireless connectivity (but you can of course add some, just you know $$$ for TX, RX. monitor), only wired video output. Are you going to get the BMVA to go along with it (attached; not sure how that's lighter/more compact than the BMPCC, also, 60p is with rolling shutter only, global shutter would be 30p mind you).

I'm afraid the BMMCC with speedbooster and 18-35mm f/1.8 Sigma would make your set-up too front heavy. Not sure if that would stay inside of the balance envelope for a pistol grip gimbal stabilizer, but I think you need to think of other lenses (most obvious one perhaps the 12-35mm f/2.8). Or like you said, go with something like the Ronin M or CAME-TV Mini 2 (edit: kinda thinking about it, that last one might not cut it either).

I have a Nebula 4000.  The problem with any camera on a small gimbal is focusing.   Small gimbals go a bit haywire if you touch them (manual focus), or have cables running to them (video, power, LANC, etc.) .  Even changes in the temperature seem to affect them.   Therefore, you might be better off with a weighted stabilizer and practice.  Of course, if you can set focus for each shot, and you don't need to change it, then yes, a gimbal works well.  If I had the time I'd get back into robotics and build a wireless focus puller for Oly lenses on the BMPCC.  Only if someone built something like that would I run the BMPCC on the Nebula.  Also, these small gimbals are still VERY FUSSY.   A lot of videos out there make them look easy.  They are NOT.  Hope this helps.

The pistol grip will likely boom into 2016 with lots of options, so I would actually wait (unless you can afford it). 

Just liek with 4k cameras.....wait a bit for your investment and you will get a superior product for your hard earned cash just months later. (although this can also be considered an eternal matter). I think in the early stages of development, this certainly rings true.