Feedback on food video

Fredrik Lyhne

Hi guys, my name is Fred and I'm a long time reader of EOSHD. Great blog, thank you Andrew!

I just finished my first food video shot with the GH3 + 12-35mm, 25mm f/1.4 and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and was wondering if someone would give me some comments? The video is shot with the natural profile and very slightly color corrected in After Effects due to the not perfect but affordable Fotodiox 1000ASVL LED's mixed with window lighting. 

Tips and tricks to improve the videos would be deeply appreciated. I'm currently using GH3 with the two big zooms and the PanaLeica trio 15mm, 25mm and 42,5mm btw. 

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd tighten the edit a bit. E.g., remove repetitions, like at 0:21 where you put spinach a second time. Also, it doesn't seem too appetizing to me, may be embellish the scene with things we associate with good food? Technically it seems fine, if that's what you wanted feedback on.

Hi guys, my name is Fred and I'm a long time reader of EOSHD. Great blog, thank you Andrew!

I just finished my first food video shot with the GH3 + 12-35mm, 25mm f/1.4 and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and was wondering if someone would give me some comments? The video is shot with the natural profile and very slightly color corrected in After Effects due to the not perfect but affordable Fotodiox 1000ASVL LED's mixed with window lighting. 

Tips and tricks to improve the videos would be deeply appreciated. I'm currently using GH3 with the two big zooms and the PanaLeica trio 15mm, 25mm and 42,5mm btw. 

Thanks!

Video quality looks great, to enhance your project though "next level" I would incorporate these things.

*Sound Effects

*Motion Graphics

*Editing (at the very minimum tighting your edit, to at an extreme adding creative transitions, overlays, cuts, etc.

*Camera movement, static shots look great, but so do tiilts,pans,slides,booms, etc. 

Agreed. And a bit more dynamic shots in there couldn't hurt either.

Recently on another forum we discussed some food videos we liked. Maybe it's good inspiration for you:

Make a cocktail with Absolut Vodka! Notice the sound effects! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmUQ2vJjiGtR4FLhpUqjUyQ/videos

Very visual ad for friggin' sandwich spread pulled off in a great way! Great shots. Love the snappy edit.

Depends on what you want to do.  I wouldn't recommend necessarily making a wildly dynamic food video "just because."  If it fits what you want to do or are hired to do, sure... but there's something to be said in making a video that's a bit more timeless and classic too.

I don't do extreme food cooking like I'm base jumping of El Capitan, so that commercial looks a bit silly to me personally.

Now, I'm not saying every video in the world should be like that, but that is just an example that really works for me personally. And I feel like it helps to give an extreme example, to make a point. Anyways, call me ADD, but you got to spike my senses or you lose me. So I do appreciate when things get changed up a bit. But I also know that that might be exhausting to other people. Also doesn't mean that I myself can't enjoy something very static... as long as you find other ways to pull me in that is.

To me 0:24-0:38 for example... in those 14 seconds (again for me personally) I'm already kinda starting to doze off.

I asked for feedback and I'm not gonna cry if you don't like it. It's better that people are being honest than just pointing out the positives. Thanks everyone for the input!

Sekhar and j.f.r:  I've actually been testing shooting with camera movement lately and agree with everything else you said. Gotta keep learning!

Cinegain: I like to look at what really talented people do and learn from them. This video is obviously beyond reach for me but it's definitely inspiring and I think you make a valid point. 

I'm considering upgrading to a GH4 or a G7. Besides from the cropping, panning and zooming (4k to 1080p), is there any other major advantages like shooting flat profiles for example for this kind of work? 

Btw, this is just footage for my food blog and not professional or commercial. 

Fredrik, your video looks great and it's clear. If your video is just a recipe, only thing it lacks is the text for what ingredients/measures are. I love simple things and in a recipe, the simpler the better. Some movements can add some fun, but are not necessary, not in a 50 seconds video recipe.

Then you can think you want to go a step further, so you need some environments, some props, maybe a sexy voice over, some sound effects, etc. the sky is the limit! ;-D

Your video looks fine. Of course you can make it a $100k production

but ask yourself: who is the primary audience for this video?

Once that's clear, your good to go.

I thought It made its point very clear: this is the way to make a nutritious, all natural green juice. 

I would only cut a couple of frames when you show your subject introducing the leaves inside the blender (why show the same action twice?)

and when the whole drink is being blended. That's it! Good job!

Your video looks fine. Of course you can make it a $100k production

but ask yourself: who is the primary audience for this video?

Once that's clear, your good to go.

I thought It made its point very clear: this is the way to make a nutritious, all natural green juice. 

I would only cut a couple of frames when you show your subject introducing the leaves inside the blender (why show the same action twice?)

and when the whole drink is being blended. That's it! Good job!

Thanks!

​The leaves in the blender twice is just because the next clip shows that the blender is full.. I see that's really not necessary.