S1/S5/GH5ii?

a_reynolds

Hi guys,

Back in the day you helped me make a good decision by buying the GH4 when it wasn't a popular camera and everyone only talked about Canon! I am now looking to go all-in in getting back into shooting and I need a new camera. I have the Sigma 18-35mm + Metabones combo and a couple of vintage primes that I'd be happy to use while I sell the Sigma+Metabones combo to buy FF glass if I decide to go that route.

I am looking in the used market (£800 limit) and I almost pulled the trigger on the GH5ii but I saw that the S1 and S5 are going for the same price. If lenses were not a factor and the content would be scripted/unscripted tv which one would you go for? I've been through the specs and the S1 with the new firmware is looking very appealing!

Really appreciate your opinions!

• a_reynolds changed the title to S1/S5/GH5ii?
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My opinion is to go for an S5. I got one a few months ago for about $800. That opinion is partially based on having owned and primarily shot on a MFT Z Cam for the past 3(?) years and using APS-C NX1/XT3 for the 5-6 years before that. I primarily shoot scripted narrative projects, and nature photography. The increased dynamic range and noise performance of the S5 over the GH5 is definitely a factor for me. Actually, for $800, I can't recommend the S5 enough, if you don't need AF. Absolutely wonderful camera for me.

However, my choice of camera is primarily lenses, while you specifically said lenses are not a factor. I have many beautiful vintage photo lenses, and in general I've had an easier time finding modern, high quality FF lenses than APS-C or MFT lenses. It's hard to find a small sensor combo that matches the price/performance of (used) Sigma Art, Canon L, or Zeiss Milvus--keeping in mind that, for my use, autofocus is never in play. (The 18-35 is a standout lens, a notable exception to the generalization I just made)

If you are set on real cinema lenses, a smaller sensor might be better. There are plenty of Super 35 options to choose from, and honestly the budget FF lenses (Meike, DZOFilm, etc) are optically rather lackluster in my opinion. If my plans this year go through and I shoot a lot more narrative content, I might look for a Super 35 cinema camera, because at that point we would rent high quality cinema lenses, and there are a lot of those available for Super 35.

I don't know much about the S1, but the reason I got an S5 is that it weighs a lot less than the S1. It would be less fun to take an S1 on a backpacking trip.

If you wanted the lightest and most compact FF unit, then the S5, obviously.

If you are going to rig it, probably also the S5.

But if it’s bare bones body, lens and maybe a shotgun mic, the S1 is the better platform. Weight, ergos etc…

Former S1R and S5 owner plus current S1H and S5ii user.

I have my S5ii semi-rigged with cage, side handle, shotgun and my S1H is totally bare bones except Rode Wireless Go.

It's hard to recommend the GH5 at this point, despite the fact that I'm a passionate MFT user, when the specs of the S5 and S1 are so much better.  You can make great content on anything of course, but better specs gives you more options on set, or means you don't have to be as picky about lighting etc, and when you're on set, time is money.

I'll paraphrase the recommendation from @KnightsFan and suggest you start with your end goal and work backwards.  Your end goal is to create a certain type of content with a certain type of look.  This will best be achieved using a certain type of shooting and a certain type of equipment that makes this easier and faster.  Then look at options for lenses across the crop-factors, then choose your format/sensor-size, then the camera body.

Going the other way results in nonsensical decisions!

Thanks so much guys! I really dig that image quality isn't really a factor in your answers - can't really go wrong either way so that takes off the pressure. I will ofc compare recording time limits and see what works better for me and have a thought about ergonomics as you pointed out!

2 hours ago, kye said:

better specs gives you more options on set, or means you don't have to be as picky about lighting etc, and when you're on set, time is money.

Definitely! I work in post-production and it's mainly unscripted TV run and gun...natural light all the way expect for interviews. So if I were to talk my way into a shoot MFT would not be the way to go. Can't believe I didn't even think about this!

The GH5 was only because I already had the sigma+metabones but when I saw the S line price I was like hold up now might be the time to jump to the S line. Specially because I am only shooting for myself now so I can ease my way into the system without too much pressure 🤑 and for my personal work which is the plan for the next couple of months, I like to use the Super Takumars, Helios and I just got a Canon FD so there's really nothing stopping me from making the change.

Thanks a lot guys!!

8 hours ago, a_reynolds said:

I really dig that image quality isn't really a factor in your answers - can't really go wrong either way so that takes off the pressure.

S5 is definitely "better" image quality than GH5 imo, and that certainly factors into my choices, but technology is at a point where pretty much everything looks pretty good. So if all my lenses were MFT, or if GH5 had some other feature that I really needed, I'd be happy with GH5 as well. Better photographers than I might have a more nuanced look at photo ergonomics, but to me all hybrids are roughly the same amount of pain when rigged for a narrative shoot.

For my amateur photography, every camera I touch reminds me that the NX1 was more comfortable 😞

8 hours ago, a_reynolds said:

The GH5 was only because I already had the sigma+metabones but when I saw the S line price I was like hold up now might be the time to jump to the S line.

The S5 has a great APS-C crop mode, which will pair nicely with your Sigma 18-35. You're already in the system, no pressure at all!

If your looking at used S1, make sure it has the vlog upgrade or you'll need to figure that into the cost. Between the S1 and S5 I have both and prefer the S1, the full size HDMI will one day serve you well if you want to shoot RAW. If you haven't held either then visit somewhere that will let you experience the difference, the S1 is solid and feels reassuring but it is heavier which for me is a preference. The S1 viewfinder is more than twice the resolution and a joy to use. Both are great cameras but for me the S1 stands out. Good luck.

If you use the view finder to nail focus then the S1 makes life so much easier. I always preferred it over the S5 when using it (apart from the weight). I had a GH5 and GH5S and they were great cameras but the FF Lumix cameras have a nicer image and handle lowlight better. With the Sigma you’ll have to use apsc mode so maybe the image difference won’t be so noticeable.

On 3/31/2024 at 3:04 AM, Happy Daze said:

If your looking at used S1, make sure it has the vlog upgrade or you'll need to figure that into the cost.

Thanks for this!! I ended up finding one that had the upgrade and it wasn't that much over my budget.

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with the S1 only because of ergonomics, the full size HDMI as I use a monitor and having no record limit. I know in the S5 you could just start and stop again but when shooting interviews in a multiple camera shoot the no time limit just makes things a bit easier.

It gets here on Saturday and I got a couple of Canon FD primes ready to go. Really excited about this.

Thanks so much everyone

Good choice. I love working with my S1 and never connected with the S5. No recording limit is very nice; the first time I had to start the S5 recording again during an interview was the last time I used it as a second cam to the S1.

On 4/4/2024 at 3:50 PM, a_reynolds said:

Thanks for this!! I ended up finding one that had the upgrade and it wasn't that much over my budget.

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with the S1 only because of ergonomics, the full size HDMI as I use a monitor and having no record limit. I know in the S5 you could just start and stop again but when shooting interviews in a multiple camera shoot the no time limit just makes things a bit easier.

It gets here on Saturday and I got a couple of Canon FD primes ready to go. Really excited about this.

Thanks so much everyone

Good decision! Think your going to love it. It feels like quality in the hands which adds to the experience. Let us know how you get on.