Leica SL3... the Panasonic S1R mk2 is coming soon?

IronFilm

It's no big secret that many Leica cameras are just rebadged Panasonic cameras. So is this new Leica 60MP L Mount a camera a big hint at what the future S1R mk2 could be? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I hope so and ideally max €3500.

Still needs a 'light & compact' long lens for me, - the Achilles Heel of the entire L Mount system.

Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 = 855g (not possible with L Mount)

Lumix 70-400mm f4 = nearly 1kg

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 = 1.35kg

Lumix 70-200mm f2.8 = >1.5kg

When I was shooting purely stills and with just 2 bodies, 10+ years back, a 24-70 on one side and a 70-200 on the other, was the norm but took it's toll physically on longer days.

I can't work like that today and especially as the bigger L Mount lenses really need a battery pack to balance them adding even more to their size and weight.

My S1H with f4 70-200 inc. battery pack = 2.8kg

My Z6ii with f2.8 70-180 inc. battery pack = 1.8kg

The SL3 is barely heavier or larger than the Z6ii and far more capable...at a price obviously and the SL3 has now become my 'ideal/perfect' hybrid for my needs...but only on paper, because it's €7k+ in the EU so not a viable option for me.

But Lumix or Sigma, bring out a sub 1kg, f2.8, 70-180 (I'd prefer 50-150 or even a 28-120) and pair that with an S2R at sub €4k and I'm all in on L Mount for the rest of my career.

23 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Still needs a 'light & compact' long lens for me, - the Achilles Heel of the entire L Mount system.

Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 = 855g (not possible with L Mount)

Lumix 70-400mm f4 = nearly 1kg

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 = 1.35kg

Lumix 70-200mm f2.8 = >1.5kg

Panasonic 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 is only 790grams (sub $1K to buy too!). 

But I presume that lens is too slow for you? 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Panasonic 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 is only 790grams (sub $1K to buy too!). 

But I presume that lens is too slow for you? 

Exactamundo. The f4 Lumix is borderline too slow for me in low light (and I already have this lens) plus I don't need anything over 200mm.

180/200mm with 24mp

150'ish with 45/47mp

120 with 60mp

all work for me, ie, cropping works with the latter 2 focal lengths.

I could even work with Canon's 24-105mm f2.8 even though it's a bit of a lump (but replaces 2 lenses) and the R3 is sublime, but 24mp so limited crop-ability. A 60mp 'R3' however... Another dream camera for me. Almost certainly another completely unaffordable.

I am no Tamron evangelist but for 24mp, the pairing of 20-40mm f2.8 and 70-180mm f2.8, for me is bang on.

Ultimately size is of less importance to me than weight and for me, that Tamron 70-180 is the lynchpin of the entire system. There is nothing else out their currently available, like it.

But as I have said several times recently, VERY happy with my current set up and not actively seeking to change other than possibly after this season, and only if I can get my set up down from 4 bodies to 3, will I take this option.

It won't be a Leica SL3 though, purely down to 🤑

But it could be with an S2R/H, but ONLY if within the L.M.A. they bring out something 70-180/200'ish f2.8 and significantly smaller and lighter then their current lightest at 1.35kg offering. Get it 1kg max and I'm in.

12 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Well I hope these are not the features of the future Lumix FF flagship.

The specifications for the video look very basic. 8K@30p 10 bit but only 4:2:0 internally.

Greater resolution comes at the expense of every other spec.

18 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Well I hope these are not the features of the future Lumix FF flagship.

The specifications for the video look very basic. 8K@30p 10 bit but only 4:2:0 internally.

Panasonic does tend to implement and do video a bit better in their versions of the cameras than Leica's 

Yes it's my fault. I was confusing S1R with S1H.

What I meant to say is that Pana will be coming out to market with a flagship model quite some time after its competitors set the standard of what to expect from a hybrid camera today.
So it's tough for Panasonic to catch up and maybe to add to that. A7S4 seems to be behind the corner.

Of course, mine are just musings at the bar with a beer in front of me. I have my GH5M2 and I'm just waiting for this blessed GH7 to come out to change the camera. PDAF is too important for my underwater and wildlife shooting. Panasonic seems to have bad timing in switching from CAF to PDAF in all its lines.
I would have already picked up a G9II if it weren't for the fact that an underwater housing costs 4500 euros so I'm taking my feet easy on upgrades.

26 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Of course, mine are just musings at the bar with a beer in front of me

Same for a lot of us, ie, more idle chat and musing than anything.

Some folks immediately think that because you have an interest in such things, you are unhappy with your current situation and simply believe ‘The Next Thing’ will fix all your issues.

I don’t think that is so much the case here where a lot of our musings are more, “if I was not invested in X, I might be looking at Y or Z” and nothing wrong with that in my book!

And ultimately it’s all harmless!

10 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Same for a lot of us, ie, more idle chat and musing than anything.

Some folks immediately think that because you have an interest in such things, you are unhappy with your current situation and simply believe ‘The Next Thing’ will fix all your issues.

I don’t think that is so much the case here where a lot of our musings are more, “if I was not invested in X, I might be looking at Y or Z” and nothing wrong with that in my book!

And ultimately it’s all harmless!

My signature in another forum is: "your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do"

Maybe it was something someone wrote here years ago. I only i could remember, I would credit him