new cam

stefanocps

hello i have just sold my xt3 as i want to upgrade some feature and possibily change the style of shooting

So, a part of the quality image, i want a good AF, a usable stabilizer and a good zoom range..something like run and gun i could say.

A camcorder like ax700 would be very close to what i want, but it is now quite olds and its technology must have been heavily surpassed from lots of gear..and for what it still costs i don't really feel like investing that much for such a kind of tool. But that is an example of the type of gear  i would go for . Other newer camcorder have also lots of limitations, i don't talk of the 1" sensor that  could still be ok, but about recording specs. Seems so hard to find one that record at 50/60 in 4k.

So i am looking to sony fx30 which seems to me more similar to a camcorder (i talk about the way it is used). Combined wih a 18 105 i can have also the desidered zoom always connected without the need of change lens. But to remain within the budget (under 2k euro) i must buy it in tdimension site, and it is a kind of risk in the case i would need a warranty... In that case i might have some problem..i think./never bought there)

SO i am asking some suggestion for alternatives within the budget i specified and with the feature i have described. 

p.s. I can look also at 2nd hand  market of course

tanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Fuji X-S20 used Excellent condition (MBP) plus new Tamron 17-70mm f2.8 (28-105 equivalent) comes in on budget and spec?

xs20 was my first choice, i still have the 18 55 also(but if the af on tamron is good it might be a better choice) then i saw that price for fx30 in tdimension and i get excited, as it looks a real change more than the xs20. Anyway the xs20 is actually the alternative to fx30 till now

If a camcorder is what best fits your needs, then it doesn't really matter if the technology is outdated or not if it has a good image and gets the job done.

In your price range you'll have a hard time finding a camcorder-esque camera that has a 1" sensor and can do 4K 50/60p. You'll need to compromise somewhere.

Panasonic HC-X1500 might be the closest, as far as having 4K 60p and being under $2,000. It however doesn't have a 1" sensor.

The Panasonic AG-DVX200 can be purchased used for under $2,000 on sites like MPB. It's basically a GH5 in a camcorder body, has 4K 60p and is a M43 sensor.

The FX30 is a great deal, though depending on what you mean by run and gun the stabilization might frustrate you.

Looking at a UK dealer, this seems like a really good deal:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panasonic-lumix-s5-ii-digital-camera-with-24-105mm-lens-3128170/

That looks like it's £1,899 inc. cashback?

I've never heard of TDimension but I've never bought anything without a warranty if I could help it. In fact I often do the opposite: I always try to get an extended warranty.

Which is why I did not suggest the S5ii myself…though I could have sold you that exact combo a couple of weeks back within your 2k euros budget but unless time travel has become a thing…??!! 🤪

Not much difference between 4/3rds and APSC and as you said you didn’t mind a 1” sensor…

You could always buy the OM-1 with that lens from MBP eu, try it out and if it’s not for you, send it back.

Unless you actually need longer than ‘80mm’ but otherwise kicks your camcorders arse for; usability, build, image quality, stabilization etc.

It would be my pick at 2k euros or the X-S20 + Tamron combo of you need that  extra 25mm.

7 hours ago, stefanocps said:

So i am looking to sony fx30 which seems to me more similar to a camcorder (i talk about the way it is used). Combined wih a 18 105 i can have also the desidered zoom always connected without the need of change lens. But to remain within the budget (under 2k euro) i must buy it in tdimension site, and it is a kind of risk in the case i would need a warranty... In that case i might have some problem..i think./never bought there)

As soon as I read the first paragraph, I was thinking of the FX30 for you. 

Maybe buy the lens secondhand, but get the FX30 brand new? That should keep you close to within budget 

TDimension are another of these Hong Kong/China based companies aren’t they?

I have used a few before such as Digital Rev back when I used to live in the UK 7+ years ago, but avoid now.

When it works, it’s fine and you get a great deal, but if you wish to do a return or have a warranty issue, good luck with that. This is where it goes wrong for folks and all the 1 star ratings come in.

You pay less, but you roll the dice using them.

I would not. You might.

Better the used market with someone like MBP.

Agreed on going the used route with MPB or one of the companies that sell used gear. Most of them will include a warranty, and some even offer extended warranties. MPB I believe includes a 6 month warranty, for example. 

The FX30 is about $1600 in like new condition here in the US on MPB. 

I would save up and just go the FX30 route. 

3 hours ago, stefanocps said:

I would go also for used market, but i cant find less than 1900. MPB has it at that price..in italy where i live even more!

It's true, I looked myself!

So you either need to:

Go grey import, or,

Up your budget by +500 euros, or,

Buy something else!

41 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

It's true, I looked myself!

So you either need to:

Go grey import, or,

Up your budget by +500 euros, or,

Buy something else!

i think if i go for alternzative it is x s20, i like fuji, i would change for a more videocamera style device but all the other a part fx30 are not this style