Blackmagic URSA Mini - $2995 - official thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

THERE IS MUCH MORE TO A CAMERA THAN IQ! Had to be in CAPs to!!!

The percentage of the importance of IQ in the overall package varies upon shooting genres.

Hollywood features, high end large crew films/commercials: 90% IQ + 10% system
Corporate, low-mid docs, commrcials, low-mid music: 60% IQ + 40% system
One man crew docs, films, low end events, web, news, broadcast: 30% IQ + 70% system!

You my friend understand that the movie business is indeed a business.

THERE IS MUCH MORE TO A CAMERA THAN IQ! Had to be in CAPs to!!!

The percentage of the importance of IQ in the overall package varies upon shooting genres.

Hollywood features, high end large crew films/commercials: 90% IQ + 10% system
Corporate, low-mid docs, commrcials, low-mid music: 60% IQ + 40% system
One man crew docs, films, low end events, web, news, broadcast: 30% IQ + 70% system!

​I see your point, but I'd say that the level of urgency is tied to the need for a quality system- and that is independent from IQ.

If you're the kind of guy who shoots bushes, cats, and takes five years to pound out a short film: you're fine with a poor system.

If you're shooting something that needs to be delivered with any kind of real deadline: you need a brilliant, fluid system.

Also said they will have a Nikon version. Locking EF and NIkon mount speedboosters :)

​Thanks, wow this would be so nice to have on this camera. Hope they will offer a non-electronic version of EF speedbooster for this. Their cameras may be priced well vs. the established players but their accessories are not cheap.

EDIT: looks like he said the price would be the same as their previous adapters, so $600, and available this month

• 4 weeks later...

The high cost of CFast cards make some people think about workarounds, here's one interesting project: C-Box

I like this idea. I also saw another recommendation to use a breakout cable like this one:

http://www.microsatacables.com/cfast-breakout-cable

I bet you could even use a small SSD housing as a caddy, and even as a means to power it.

​Nice, did anyone try this yet?

Not that I know of. I just figured it would be a super cheap way to fabricate your own "c-box" out of existing tech. Small SSD enclosures are dirt cheap, provide a means to elegantly contain and protect your drives, include duel drive options, and many offer the same 5v DC port to power the enclosure. All you would need to do then is bypass the I/O port (completely remove it?) and go directly into the drive. (I don't think you even need the controller) Then use the native DC, via an inexpensive adapter, to the power of your choice and voila!

Granted this is all theory, but I'm pretty sure it would work. =]

• Super Members

​I'm not sure I understand. I was asking about the CFast breakout cable Endfallow Media posted. Did the C-Box guy use that?

Looks like it. Or at least a similar cable and then he built a riggable box for it and dual SSD slots.

so instead of buying two breakout cables, me personally I would ad the extra cost and  get the box instead. 

​I'm not sure I understand. I was asking about the CFast breakout cable Endfallow Media posted. Did the C-Box guy use that?

Not exactly, but similar.  The breakout cable I posted includes an additional (2nd) cable, that provides 3.3v power to power the drive, directly from the CFAST card connection. The fellow who put together the C-Box seems to have only the single SATA data cable coming from the CFAST adapter, and instead, has chosen to power the unit via 5v adapter option.  My idea was not unique, only sought to put together a similar unit with an enclosed drive and existing tech, on the cheap.

Looks like it. Or at least a similar cable and then he built a riggable box for it and dual SSD slots.

so instead of buying two breakout cables, me personally I would ad the extra cost and  get the box instead. 

I'm pretty sure the C-Box uses a cable for each drive.  If you look at the cover photo for the C-Box campaign, it clearly shows TWO sata cables coming from the unit, one into each CFAST bay.

image.jpg

That said, I wonder if you could use a dual drive enclosure and get away with only one data cable per pair. Heck, that'd be 4 drives between the two card bays!

• Super Members

I'm pretty sure the C-Box uses a cable for each drive.  If you look at the cover photo for the C-Box campaign, it clearly shows TWO sata cables coming from the unit, one into each CFAST bay.

image.jpg

That said, I wonder if you could use a dual drive enclosure and get away with only one data cable per pair. Heck, that'd be 4 drives between the two card bays!

I know :)

Thought it was pretty obvious so I didn't point it out.

I know :)

Thought it was pretty obvious so I didn't point it out.

Oops! Sorry about that. It seems I misread your previous comment. I see now that you were simply favoring the box in reference cost comparison. I originally read that as you not wanting two run two sata cables. My bad.

ps. Thank you for being gentle in your correction. =]

• Super Members

Oops! Sorry about that. It seams I misread your previous comment. I see now that you were simply favoring the box in reference cost comparison. I originally read that as you not wanting two run two sata cables. My bad.

​No prob, could have been more clear on my part :)

Here's footage shot with the original URSA: https://vimeo.com/104918710

I have no doubt the Ursa mini will look even better and have better ergonomics when it comes out.  It's basically an Alexa look for only $5k.  Won't be too hard to sell to producers.

We live in crazy times.

The amount of color information - the ability for high speed. The weight.

Man things are getting nuts.

I think the KineRaw has a big challenge since Blackmagic is so established - but we won't know till the camera comes out.