2024 - A "No Gear" Year

QuickHitRecord

On 12/13/2023 at 3:59 PM, QuickHitRecord said:

For me, it's a kitchen remodel and some new clothes. Your reasons are much less selfish.

I'm two weeks in and still holding strong! Lol.

Still resisting, only a Smallrig half case for the X-S20 - just to prevent bottom mark to when I (maybe) sell it in some years.

Of course, when you are restrained, temptations rains from everywhere. Was looking for almost 2 years to find a Olympus Pen F (because it is the most gorgeous digital camera that I've saw) or a LX100 MK II (that solve the biggest problem with my OG LX100 - crappy JPGs) without success, and now just find a LX100 II with a good price and pratically new, and a pristine Pen F with the 17mm f/2.8 with an AMAZING price.

But resisted. In the end of the day, they would sit unused - even my X-S20 is subutilized these days, working like a slave here...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Of course, when you are restrained, temptations rains from everywhere.

The same thing is happening to me! All of these uncommon items that I haven't seen on eBay in years seem to be popping up right now. It's pretty uncanny.

Oh well. Like you, I am still holding strong.

But if I will tell you that I had to resist to 7x NX500 units all in a once just yesterday... in the same bundle.

Will you believe me?

You can.

And I've already bought a couple of them before!

LOL

But I've tried to find reasons to buy different focal lengths samples of NX mount glass just to follow... : D

Disclaimer: Love the videos of this guy... :- )

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

And I've already bought a couple of them before!

What do you like about the NX500s so much? I've always been curious about the bitrate/low rolling shutter hack. Have you tried it?

Don't make it sound too good though, there are recovering gear addicts in this thread!

1 hour ago, QuickHitRecord said:

What do you like about the NX500s so much? I've always been curious about the bitrate/low rolling shutter hack. Have you tried it?

This camera model has arrived to my hands because of the 3D feature going along 45mm f/1.8 and fell immediately in love for the retro look and form factor. Love its small size. The 1.6x crop of the 4K mode doesn't bother me at all when there are good wideangle zooms you can add there such as Tokinas 11-20mm f/2.8 or my 11-16mm f/2.8 (PL mount mod).

1 hour ago, QuickHitRecord said:

Don't make it sound too good though, there are recovering gear addicts in this thread!

I didn't! LOL ;- )

10 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

The same thing is happening to me! All of these uncommon items that I haven't seen on eBay in years seem to be popping up right now. It's pretty uncanny.

Oh well. Like you, I am still holding strong.

I've been seeing a surprising number (i.e. more than zero, which is the usual amount) of Aaton Cantar X3 (or Cantar Mini ) recorders being listed in recent months, the temptation is terribly real and hard. (it helps though not having the $$$$ for them! ha)

12 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

@IronFilm, good, I think this one could be considered a "no gear" for the year. 😆
But it could hurt the sound quality on some way?

It shouldn't be you'd presume 

3 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

Doesn't it have an aggressive crop too? 

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

This camera model has arrived to my hands because of the 3D feature

My Sumsung NX300 has that as well! 😄 

But I haven't shot anything 3D with it 😞

32 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Didn't test the 2.5K hack yet. I know of a supplier to sell them for rather cheap... : )

On the topic of 2.5K, I saw a crazy cheap BMCC 2.5K MFT for just US$300 on eBay today but the shipping costs are obscene 😞 

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

On the topic of 2.5K, I saw a crazy cheap BMCC 2.5K MFT for just US$300 on eBay today but the shipping costs are obscene 😞 

Yeah, familiar with that one.

When I was into hifi I once paid almost $100 for a pair of resistors.  They were custom made high-precision ones made from exotic materials, so were expensive at USD$10 each, but it was the USD$60 shipping fee (which at the time was the minimum cost for whatever courier they used exclusively for shipping their products).

Combined with import duties, we call it the Australia Tax.  It's also one of the reasons I don't tend to sell things I'm done with it.