Positive Locking Canon EF and Nikon adapters by Ciecio7 (for E-Mount / Sony A7S / Micro 43 / GH4 / FZ Mount / F55)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Above: Canon EF locking adapter for Sony E-Mount

In my opinion these are some of the best adapters currently on the market for Canon & Nikon glass.

They take a normal Canon or Nikon lens and turn it into a PL mount (positive locking) with no play between the mount and lens.

Most of the adapters are currently in stock on eBay for your A7S / GH4:

Canon EF locking adapter for Sony E-Mount
Nikon locking adapter for Sony E-Mount
Canon EF locking adapter for Micro Four Thirds
Nikon locking adapter for Micro Four Thirds (Not currently in stock)

And also the versions for Sony FZ mount (F55, etc.) and AJA Cion:

Canon - FZ
Nikon - FZ
Canon - CION
Nikon - CION

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't get after reading many times. Aren't Canon EF & Nikon F positive lock? (and basically all modern mount, one I've used without PL is the C mount on the D.Bolex)

Excuse my ignorance but do these (very expensive) adapters offer compared to the competition? 

• Administrators

No, EF and Nikon lenses are bayonet locking.

With a positive lock, this works like a PL adapter for cinema lenses.

A locking ring locks around the lens, securing it with absolutely no wiggle like you get with a bayonet.

So rather than rotating to lock the lens, you hold the lens to the adapter and rotate the adapter's locking mechanism around it instead... just as you would do when mounting a PL lens to a RED EPIC.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Got it. Thank you for giving me new information. So these adapters should specifically be desired by people who use very heavy lenses (who value ruggedness) and can't tolerate that micro wiggle usually found in normal bayonet mounts. They look pretty serious about the flange distance measurement too, so I hope they match a cine lens focus marks, most adapters do not, these do claim it so it might be true.

the key dfference here is that all other adaptors rely on the pin itself to stop rotational play.  as the leaf springs become older they seem to loose their strength and dnot pull the lens in tight, and the play in the pin shows itself even more.

I'd been eyeing up Lockcircle's range or PL mounts for nikon / ef.  As a fellow fan of ciecio7, these adaptors are the only thing tempting me away from the lockcircle offerings.

these adapters should specifically be desired by people who use very heavy lenses (who value ruggedness) and can't tolerate that micro wiggle usually found in normal bayonet mounts.

​It's clear that the Ciecio7 Positive Locking ring eliminates the 'micro wigle' between
the bayonnet of the lens and the adapter,
but, how do they eliminate the wigle between their adapter and the camera's spring loaded lens port?
do they screw it permanently on the camera housing??

​It's clear that the Ciecio7 Positive Locking ring eliminates the 'micro wigle' betweenthe bayonnet of the lens and the adapter,
but, how do they eliminate the wigle between their adapter and the camera's spring loaded lens port?
do they screw it permanently on the camera housing??

​The adapter has support foot with mounting points. You can join it with rod system then the all set will be stable.

​The adapter has support foot with mounting points. You can join it with rod system then the all set will be stable.

​I see... thanks to that foot you assemble  a rock solid group made of your converter, the PL ring,
the lens, the head plate, the rods and the follow-focus. 

The paradox is that the camera itself remains elastically suspended to the rear of the  converter...
but since in normal use  there is no strong torque applied  to these tiny cameras,
the winggle problem practically disappears.  brilliant idea !

I discovered on the web you even replace the Aja Cion front housing by your converter
(no more foot in this case).  Why not to do the same on E and µ4/3 cameras :  unscrew the bayonnet
mechanism of the lens port and replace it by a positive lock converter ... no foot either :)

• 3 weeks later...

​It would must be permanent modification.

Why not?

All interchangeable lens cameras, mirrorless or DSLR
-- in full compatibilty with the huge fleet of bayonnat mounted lenses --
should abandon their wiggling bayonet
spring loaded ports in favor of
the Positive Lock system pionnered by Mitchell in the '30s.
Is it more expensive to manufacture?
You did it for the Aja Cion and I just discovered that Kinefinity does the same thing:
the "positive lock for EF/Nikon F lenses" is in good position in their Kinemax feature list:
.http://www.kinefinity.com/kinemax/?lang=en
" Lock ring rotation, not lens rotation to make sure EF/Nikon F lens locked firmly
and to be contacted well with pogo-pin contact inside of EF mount in any case."