Z-Mount lens user reviews

Emanuel

Who's using the system?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What stage you stand on?

• What else?
    • As mistress is just fine
    • Still looking for ways to move on (my crush is over or not is above my pay grade, so does my crystal ball)
    • I've learnt there's nothing wrong to profess non-hierarchical glass polyamory for living
    • Already married
    • WTF r u talking about?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the 24 and 50 S primes and they're incredible. Absolute bargain prices when you see the optical quality. I got the 28-75 (rebadged tamron) too. You can tell the difference. It's fine, it's a good zoom. But it's missing the magic of the Nikkors. 

3 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Me I’m fully investing into the F-mount system. Because I need cheaper options than the Z mount and I already own the FTZ so why not?

Good move. Most of the F mounts are really good. I'd just look at a 3rd party option for the 50mm. Nikon's F mount 50mm was never as good as their other lenses. 

1 hour ago, D Verco said:

Good move. Most of the F mounts are really good. I'd just look at a 3rd party option for the 50mm. Nikon's F mount 50mm was never as good as their other lenses. 

Well I already own the Tamron 45mm 1.8. Which is an awesome lens for how cheap it is on the used market. But even with the firmware update on the lens itself the autofocus performance is disappointing. It works but will frequently lock up, and the focus motors are not the fastest either. 

3 hours ago, D Verco said:

I just picked up a newer ai-s 50mm 1.2, for a steal, and it's one of the best 50s I've ever used. Even wide open it's fairly sharp and dreamy at the same time. The ai/ai-s 1.4 were okay, but I love the non-ai S.C. 1.4... probably the best $40 I ever spent.

• Super Members

I seem to be spending a lot of time thinking and posting about the Z series cameras considering that I don't actually own one.

Well, not yet at least.

What is solidifying what now seems like an inevitable purchase of the Z8/Z9 (more likely the latter) is the mount but not necessarily the native lenses themselves.

Not that there is anything wrong with the native lenses from what I have seen more that I have a some may say addiction level collection of lenses and I don't fancy the expense of adding to it with a collection of native Z mount lenses.

Not least because, of course, I won't get any utility from them with any of my other some may say addiction level collection of cameras.

The supreme adaptability of the Z mount means that it is unsurpassed in terms of allowing me to use the, erm,  "carefully curated " collection of lenses of various mounts that I have in no way impulsively purchased over the years, particularly when it comes to providing AF translation too.

There are four adapters that I will be buying when I eventually cave in and buy the Z9.

1. Nikon FTZii - Absolute no brainer for most users of course but particularly for me as I do have a legitimately large collection of actually carefully curated high end F mount lenses from when I was a working pro.
  2. Meike EF>Z With Drop In Filter Adapter - EF lenses feature second largest in my shame and this lets me use them with full ND control built in.
  3. Meike/Megadap E>Z - This one has really pushed my decision to commit to Z mount as I have a few E mount lenses already but the bigger interest is in using it as a pathway to get cost effective mirrorless lenses in the form of the Sigma E mount contemporary range.
  4. TechArt Pro TZM02 - The secret weapon for the rest of the groaning draws of glass and metal as it provides AF for manual lenses on Z mount. Predominantly for M mounts (of which I have "a few") but with cheap adapters can also perform the same miracle for my Contax/Zeiss etc and, of course, the old Nikon F mount collection.

The only gap is for PL mount lenses but only because I don't want to buy a basic PL>Z adapter when I suspect that Meike will produce a Z mount version of their PL adapter with drop in filter that they already produce for RF, E and L mount.

These adapters definitely cement the Z9 as my forever* camera as it fulfils the notion of bridging the requirements of what I need now and the future with a modicum of mitigation for the profligacy of the past.

Having said all that, one Z mount lens that I wasn't aware of that looks quite interesting is the 24-200mm. Not fast but very versatile and decent performance.

forever* - AKA this week at least.

LOL Well, looks like I had to read it twice to fully understand it was not me writing that! : ) And yet, still believing you somehow incorporated inside my being and decided to sign the post anyway : D

I add to that 24-200mm all-around zoom lens those also Nikkor (why else they would launch their new branded devices then?) primes 20mm f/1.8 and 105mm macro f/2.8 without compulsively resisting to that light 40mm f/2 bargain, once I'm already doing my best for now with those Viltrox primes.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I seem to be spending a lot of time thinking and posting about the Z series cameras considering that I don't actually own one.

Well, not yet at least.

What is solidifying what now seems like an inevitable purchase of the Z8/Z9 (more likely the latter) is the mount but not necessarily the native lenses themselves.

Not that there is anything wrong with the native lenses from what I have seen more that I have a some may say addiction level collection of lenses and I don't fancy the expense of adding to it with a collection of native Z mount lenses.

Not least because, of course, I won't get any utility from them with any of my other some may say addiction level collection of cameras.

The supreme adaptability of the Z mount means that it is unsurpassed in terms of allowing me to use the, erm,  "carefully curated " collection of lenses of various mounts that I have in no way impulsively purchased over the years, particularly when it comes to providing AF translation too.

There are four adapters that I will be buying when I eventually cave in and buy the Z9.

1. Nikon FTZii - Absolute no brainer for most users of course but particularly for me as I do have a legitimately large collection of actually carefully curated high end F mount lenses from when I was a working pro.
  2. Meike EF>Z With Drop In Filter Adapter - EF lenses feature second largest in my shame and this lets me use them with full ND control built in.
  3. Meike/Megadap E>Z - This one has really pushed my decision to commit to Z mount as I have a few E mount lenses already but the bigger interest is in using it as a pathway to get cost effective mirrorless lenses in the form of the Sigma E mount contemporary range.
  4. TechArt Pro TZM02 - The secret weapon for the rest of the groaning draws of glass and metal as it provides AF for manual lenses on Z mount. Predominantly for M mounts (of which I have "a few") but with cheap adapters can also perform the same miracle for my Contax/Zeiss etc and, of course, the old Nikon F mount collection.

The only gap is for PL mount lenses but only because I don't want to buy a basic PL>Z adapter when I suspect that Meike will produce a Z mount version of their PL adapter with drop in filter that they already produce for RF, E and L mount.

These adapters definitely cement the Z9 as my forever* camera as it fulfils the notion of bridging the requirements of what I need now and the future with a modicum of mitigation for the profligacy of the past.

Having said all that, one Z mount lens that I wasn't aware of that looks quite interesting is the 24-200mm. Not fast but very versatile and decent performance.

forever* - AKA this week at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like irresistible, light and is not a girl... ; )

review

I wonder if with this really non-expensive 230g bargain or its cine counterpart 50g heavier and those crazy sensor zooms of the modern cameras won't have all covered in a way or another with only two lenses and eventually bodies (a Nikon and a Sony? : D) ...

Without mention the customization option.