Canon EOS R7 IBIS

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Noticed when I had the EOS R3 before sending it back, the stabilisation didn't work properly with manual focus lenses. It does let you dial in the focal length into the menus but the performance just wasn't there, lots of micro jitters.

I see it is the same with the R7? Cripple hammer strikes again!

I wonder if they are using gyros in the lens rather than in the camera body?

RF lenses and some EF lenses seem to be fine.

Anyway, I am still thinking of giving one a go as it is quite cheap for what it does and all the results I've seen from it so far seem to suggest the colour mojo is there.

Also there is now a C-mount adapter for EOS R mount which I am keen to try on this as it does approx. 2.8x S16 crop in 4K/60p crop mode.

Shall I pick one up, or stay clear?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Noticed when I had the EOS R3 before sending it back, the stabilisation didn't work properly with manual focus lenses. It does let you dial in the focal length into the menus but the performance just wasn't there, lots of micro jitters.

I see it is the same with the R7? Cripple hammer strikes again!

I wonder if they are using gyros in the lens rather than in the camera body?

RF lenses and some EF lenses seem to be fine.

Anyway, I am still thinking of giving one a go as it is quite cheap for what it does and all the results I've seen from it so far seem to suggest the colour mojo is there.

Also there is now a C-mount adapter for EOS R mount which I am keen to try on this as it does approx. 2.8x S16 crop in 4K/60p crop mode.

Shall I pick one up, or stay clear?

I absolutely think mine is the best purchase that I have made in a long time. I can't speak to MF lenses, I don't have any MF EF mount lenses; but I have not had any issues with EF lenses set to MF via the switch on the lens. The only IBIS issue I have had so far is I had to turn off the horizon leveling feature when using the R7 on a gimbal; otherwise the horizon slowly rocks from side to side. Also, the IBIS wobble is pretty bad around 24mm and wider but I try to stay 35mm and longer when filming people anyway so this doesn't really bother me.

The only other issue I have with my R7 is sometimes the record button won't stop or start recording when in video mode. I either have to press it a few times or I have to hit the button on the touch screen; this mainly affects stopping a recording but a few times it has refused to start recording as well. I think it has something to do with coming out of standby or the power saving mode but I haven't tried to figure it out; possibly assigning the shutter button to start/stop recording could fix it.

As far as overheating, it does great in that department so far. When set to 4KHQ @ 30FPS after about an hour of continuous recording the overheat countdown display will appear but as soon as you set it to line skipped it immediately counts back up and disappears. 

IMO the R7 is actually superior to the R5 in almost every way except resolution and of course its not FF. It handles heat better, the IBIS is better, battery life is better, hybrid hotshoe so audio is better, and cheaper dual SD slots so storage is also better. The only thing that the R5 is better at that I care about is lowlight since the R5 has the dual native ISO option. I could probably level the playing field there as well with a speedbooster but haven't shot much lowlight lately.

I know everyone is going to shout from the top of their lungs that the R5 has a FF sensor so it has to be better, but personally I couldn't care less about sensor size, 8K, RAW, the pixel peeping level of IQ improvements because the R5 downsamples from 8K, or the shallower DOF for a given focal length.

To me personally, the R7 as a 50/50 hybrid camera has no equal in Canon's lineup except possibly the R6II. I combined the R7 with the Meike RF to EF mount vND adapter and now have what I consider as close to perfect as currently possible for a hybrid photo/video event camera. The R7 is definitely not perfect by any means, and I still consider most of my negative findings to still hold true, but thanks to what the R7 does provide I can now shoot entire events and many other types of projects with a single camera.

The thumbwheel around the joystick has really grown on me, it is so convenient right under the thumb and with the physical photo/video/power switch which is also right under your thumb, I can power on the camera, take a few images, switch to a few video clips and power it off all within a few seconds without ever taking my hands off the camera; so ergonomically for hybrid work I also consider the R7 superior to the R5 (which has no dedicated video switch).

Color wise, it matches up perfectly with the R5 and C70 if all three are set to CLOG3, and from there I just drop it into Davinci Resolve and use managed color.

I haven't used it as extensively as @herein2020has but I agree in most.

Pricewise is almost a no brainer and the best value camera Canon has offered for a long time now..

I personally do not like the wheel around the joystick thingy but on the other hand I LOVE the little dial in right/front/down that switches A/M that can be adjusted with the pinky!

Noise level isn't on par with the best of this generation but I usually do not shoot in caves, still I would like a tiny little improvement on that level even if the camera was less megapixels (but still a bit more than 24..28mgpxls would be ideal and a good compromise for me).

I am not sure about the files also, but I haven't done much editing to know for sure (still using BMP4K as my main camera, or working in projects that they provide the cameras).

I would like to do a project using  only the R7, but I haven't found the opportunity just yet, so my pro experience with it is somehow limited.

The 4K situation is not perfect either..and I am not sure in the scorching hot Greek summer the camera will handle the heat as well as my NX1s do..I had a warking overheating once with minimal use which wasn't what I wanted to see.

All in all, I would like to see an R7C of some shorts for around 2.000€ that would be a much better solution for video orientated hybrid fixing most of these issues and maybe more codec options.

The cheap prime RFs are good, there are NO RF-S options, the cheap zooms are garbage, worst kit lenses for a long time, can't believe they released those out in 2023(!) but my trusted nano EF-S with the PZ thingy and the Meike vND adapter is a good run and gun compromise (I still would like a lens starting from 15mm, because I usually want wider, and Canon is X1.6, so 18mm is not wide enough at all, and even 16-17 is somewhat limited. That is just a personal preference I have..)

The lens situation is nowhere near my NX one, so I keep all 4 NX cameras still, which is..not perfect!

• Administrators

I think Canon have been forced to up their game on the standard models due to the Sony A7 III and A7 IV which has been eating their dinner.

EOS R7 is a kind of 7D, a rare APS-C camera that comes along every so often and does everything quite well. I still think the Fuji X-H2 is outright better in terms of spec but it was unthinkable a few years ago to have oversampled 7K -> 4K 10bit C-LOG 3 on a £1350 Canon body.

They have finally caught up with the 2014 Samsung NX1! (Just joking)

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think Canon have been forced to up their game on the standard models due to the Sony A7 III and A7 IV which has been eating their dinner.

EOS R7 is a kind of 7D, a rare APS-C camera that comes along every so often and does everything quite well. I still think the Fuji X-H2 is outright better in terms of spec but it was unthinkable a few years ago to have oversampled 7K -> 4K 10bit C-LOG 3 on a £1350 Canon body.

If you are considering a new camera body and you are not tied to the Canon lens ecosytem like I am the Panasonic S5II might be the better option. I still don't fully trust their new AF system and I feel like L Mount is a dead end, but the S5II does have some truly impressive specs and from everything I have read CAF works with the Sigma L Mount to EF mount adapter. That's not to say the R6II doesn't also have some impressive specs, but IMO Panasonic's MILC video tools are second to none for a hybrid camera.

Also, my S5 definitely had slightly more DR than both the R5 and R7 to the point that it was noticeable even to me even though I don't typically care about such things. 

The R7, R6II, S5II, and A7IV all seem to be fantastic hybrid cameras with only a few details separating them; but even with the other 3's specs, I still think the R7 was the best choice for the types of projects that I shoot.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I feel exactly the same! Still holding on my NX cameras of course!

Ergonomically NX1 is still unbeatable (see you get rid of yours..what a pity!)

I will cover an international food exhibition for a client, and I consider taking with me the NX500+45mm+12-24mm+another pancake, even maybe the fisheye for some weird angles..

Usually with Canon, is slightly better than what the specs suggested though..