Lets talk Cinelux and Ultra Stars!

richg101

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice video. Just got a cinelux myself. What's the diameter of the back thread on it? (you mentioned you screwed it on with a step ring)

The thread is not a standard step ring gauge.  it's very close to 67mm.  I put mine on the lathe and took most of the thread off, then did the same with a step ring.  leaving a small amount of thread on both means you can push a 67mm-62mm step ring onto it using a bit of weight and two flat surfaces..  however you'll never get the ring off again unless you saw it off.  Hans_Punk knows about a special adaptor with the correct thread on it..  Maybe he can chime in.

Wow!  This looks awesome, look forward to some real world results!

Just wondering if the Hypergonar Hi Fi 2 will work with this adapter?  I don't see it listed but it is essentially a cinema anamorphic projection lens right?

hypergonar is huge , this FM module will only work with 70.6mm diameter projection lenses , this is the industry standard size for these smaller integrated anamorphic lenses.

Hypergonar is a1960's first generation anamorphic projection lens , these 70.6mm lenses are all modern 2000 onwards era lenses

Hans_Punk knows about a special adaptor with the correct thread on it..  Maybe he can chime in.

I already had a 72mm clamp floating around in the draw that came with a morphic lens from years back. Similar to the vid-Atlantic ones, basically a tin tube with rear 72mm thread and nylon screws, not at all Redstan quality but holds it well enough for testing with. As soon as the FM lens is in my hands, I'll probably throw that clamp in the river.

I already had a 72mm clamp floating around in the draw that came with a morphic lens from years back. Similar to the vid-Atlantic ones, basically a tin tube with rear 72mm thread and nylon screws, not at all Redstan quality but holds it well enough for testing with. As soon as the FM lens is in my hands, I'll probably throw that clamp in the river.

That's what I did, I used a  72 filter clamp from redstan, then  a 72mm to 52 step down ring and at end

52mm to 52mm lens reversing coupler adapter.

BTW I have one of those gold schneiders with the front lips for sale if anyone is looking for one? Just having a clear-out so not looking to make a big profit.

Gold Schneiders - do you mean the same Cinelux ones discussed in this thread?

If so, I might be interested if the glass is in good condition and the price is low enough.

Got a vid-atlantic clamp for my ultra star too. Probably needless to say - but the ultra star is pretty scratched after using that clamp.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been posted but I was just wondering the relevance of Diopters (such as as the Tokina 0.4) given that the new FM module is able to focus from 50cm to Infinity?

I have the Tokina 0.4 and have barely used it to be honest and would potentially look at selling it to help fund the purchase of the new FM module.  Like many others, I will wait for more samples but from what I have seen so far, is looking pretty good :)

I guess there are always Iscorama users who would still have the need for such a diopter (as it is already single focus).  

Are there any other anamorphics out there that will not be covered by the FM module and would still demand the use of the Tokina 0.4 diopter?  

Also, given that the front of the FM module is so large, there is no way of using the Tokina 0.4 Diopter if I did want extreme minimum focus?

O.K, thanks so much in advance :)

Apologies if this has already been posted but I was just wondering the relevance of Diopters (such as as the Tokina 0.4) given that the new FM module is able to focus from 50cm to Infinity?

The tokina is something that will always find use and is a great addition to anyone's lens collection.  personally I'd still rather use an achromatic diopter and limit the minimum focus of the fm module to 1m or longer, using a diopter to get closer.  the magic of the tokina is that it'll allow racking from 2.4metrs down to half of the minimum focus of the lens it is attached to.  

The Tokina would be a lot more valuable to you if it were 105mm, but i imagine you'll still get better results from using the tokina than racking those two optics farther and farther apart on the fm module.

Also since the cineluxes are rather long, they limit how wide taking lens you can use meaning the 72mm diameter might not be as much as a limitation as the 105mm front of the fm module might suggest.

• 3 weeks later...

10686823_854642987919949_237656102008827

Had a quick lens test last night with the new Isco ultra star I got off ebay. 

Lens works fine except I quickly found you need diopters to frame more freely. And the focus ring is really stiff not sure 

if the thing is built that way or just age stiffened it.  

I arrived home really late but had to try the workflow before going to sleep. 
Couldn't get my brother to be on camera so I made him film me instead. 

Bad iso settings I know, but room was not so well lit. 

Found that this lens had 1.9x Squeeze Factor rather than 2x.  So edited in 3648x1080 
then, exported downscaled to 1920X568, aspect ratio turned out to be something like
3.38 : 1 

I think I would crop off the sides when I actually do some filming with it. 

http://vimeo.com/113008765

• 3 weeks later...