Lets talk Cinelux and Ultra Stars!

richg101

Can anyone with a cinelux let me know what the widest 35mm lens they can use without vignetting.

50mm seems to be the standard, but I prefer a little wider for my narrative work.

Has anyone tested a 35mm lens on a crop sensor? 

Scrolled through, and didn't see it mentioned. If it is a repeat question, I apologize.

I did mention earlier in this thread

Pentax 40mm f2.8 and Carl Zeiss 35mm Flektogon both work nicely .

also the Russian KMZ 45mm f3.5 Mir 26 in Kiev mount/pentacon 6 is a very nice medium format lens - great resolution and has that Russian single coating look / flare - I found this a very nice lens for the Schneider.....and its cheap on ebay too.

Also the Carl Zeiss 45mm f2.8 pancake lens in C/Y mount has that classic Zeiss pop look to it....a very very sharp combo with the schneider !!

there are alot of lens in the 35- 45mm range to use. 

another nice Russian lens for character is the

Mir-1B 37mm, f/2.8

Im sure Rich will be pleased to flog you a FF38 too as thats an option ! mutant Russian optics redone in his style .

ps I almost forgot an insanly good cheap lens is the 35mm Fujinon f1.7 (made in Japan NOT FUJIAN MADE IN CHINA ) in cmount (it needs a quick modification to fit a c mount adaptor - BUT its a steller sharp Carl Zeiss Distagon equivilent lens great contrast and colours ......insanley good and fast for shooting outside at night wide open ....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have asked again to be 100% sure  if it will work with the first version of the schneider, and again and again!!!

I am going to ask for a video too.

the answer from anamorphic shop is YES it will work

1010587_834089219944915_2012678197090431

I spoke to anamorphic shop about having a video test with  FM and the schneider version 1.

The answer is: Yes, it's on his way today.

Let's see how it looks.

I did mention earlier in this thread

Pentax 40mm f2.8 and Carl Zeiss 35mm Flektogon both work nicely .

also the Russian KMZ 45mm f3.5 Mir 26 in Kiev mount/pentacon 6 is a very nice medium format lens - great resolution and has that Russian single coating look / flare - I found this a very nice lens for the Schneider.....and its cheap on ebay too.

Also the Carl Zeiss 45mm f2.8 pancake lens in C/Y mount has that classic Zeiss pop look to it....a very very sharp combo with the schneider !!

there are alot of lens in the 35- 45mm range to use. 

another nice Russian lens for character is the

Mir-1B 37mm, f/2.8

Im sure Rich will be pleased to flog you a FF38 too as thats an option ! mutant Russian optics redone in his style .

ps I almost forgot an insanly good cheap lens is the 35mm Fujinon f1.7 (made in Japan NOT FUJIAN MADE IN CHINA ) in cmount (it needs a quick modification to fit a c mount adaptor - BUT its a steller sharp Carl Zeiss Distagon equivilent lens great contrast and colours ......insanley good and fast for shooting outside at night wide open ....

This is great info.  Thanks, Andy! Much appreciated.

are you sure you don't work for Anamorphic shop comurit??

I swear on my 5 kids, I don't work for anamorphic shop, I have just asked by mail the possibility to have some discount.

Anybody else could have done this, I have tried and they said yes it's possible.

I am not a selfish person, so I have asked if it was possible to  distribute the discount on the community.

I have told them that I was going to gather some people with the same interest to have a better discount, that's all I am doing.

That's why I  have stated that the more we are the better the discount will be.

If you are still in doubt, just ask some more. No problem at all.

Thanks

I swear on my 5 kids, I don't work for anamorphic shop, I have just asked by mail the possibility to have some discount.

Anybody else could have done this, I have tried and they said yes it's possible.

I am not a selfish person, so I have asked if it was possible to  distribute the discount on the community.

I have told them that I was going to gather some people with the same interest to have a better discount, that's all I am doing.

That's why I  have stated that the more we are the better the discount will be.

If you are still in doubt, just ask some more. No problem at all.

Thanks

It would appear Comurit is showing as much excitement as i have been - I also got accused of being involved by another member due to my enthusiasm.  I guess this is something that we can actually really get excited about because the opportunities this thing opens up is rather amazing- particularly at the honest price they're asking.

It would appear Comurit is showing as much excitement as i have been - I also got accused of being involved by another member due to my enthusiasm.  I guess this is something that we can actually really get excited about because the opportunities this thing opens up is rather amazing- particularly at the honest price they're asking.

spotted on, thanks richg 101.

@ Andy Lee

What's wrong to have some discount, all my moneys goes to family's  expenses, I have not much left so if I can grab some discount, I'll take it, even if it's a small amount.

Simple as that, no other reasons believe it or not.

and there is nothing wrong with that Comurit,

there is alot of interest in the FM , but it is a 'mystery selling company with NO TRACK RECORD '

No one is asking the question - why are they not directly answering questions on this forum when its their biggest single market and doing all the answering of questions via proxies,

hey nothing wrong with any discount - just someone needs to step back and have some level of checking before anyone on this forum get ripped off , now we would not want that would we.

Confirmation bias can cloud peoples judgement when they get excited about a product ,

I will not be buying one of these until there has been alot more testing and seeing how the quality control on this product is.

Just be cautious before you bulk send them a load of money upfront - I'm just looking out for  everyone - thats all!!

and there is nothing wrong with that Comurit,

there is alot of interest in the FM , but it is a 'mystery selling company with NO TRACK RECORD '

No one is asking the question - why are they not directly answering questions on this forum when its their biggest single market and doing all the answering of questions via proxies,

hey nothing wrong with any discount - just someone needs to step back and have some level of checking before anyone on this forum get ripped off , now we would not want that would we.

Confirmation bias can cloud peoples judgement when they get excited about a product ,

I will not be buying one of these until there has been alot more testing and seeing how the quality control on this product is.

Just be cautious before you bulk send them a load of money upfront - I'm just looking out for  everyone - thats all!!

I understand your point, fair enough!

I wouldn't want that too, of course.

I have asked them to step in the forum, they don't want get involved into debates, they are concentrated on their products.

If you have any questions about their products  or their company they will be happy to answer them with a pleasure through FB or email.

I hope their site is going to be open soon.

I will make sure no one is going to get hurt, included myself.

Before we buy we need some assurances of course, and I am sure they will provide them.

At the moment they are selling their stuff through ebay, which is already an assurance, I think, with their feedbacks which speak from them self.

I hope you understood what I mean.

Thanks Andy!

One thing I've noticed with my Ultrastar: the squeeze is less at the center of the image and there's an increase in the squeeze towards the edges of the frame. This is mostly just visible in a panning shot.

Would another 2x anamorphic like Schneider, Kowa or such have a more evenly distributed squeeze?

One thing I've noticed with my Ultrastar: the squeeze is less at the center of the image and there's an increase in the squeeze towards the edges of the frame. This is mostly just visible in a panning shot.

Would another 2x anamorphic like Schneider, Kowa or such have a more evenly distributed squeeze?

the cinelux exhibits this very strongly.  - on full frame with as wide taking lens as you can go with.  I think it might be a case of needing wides to be shot with limited panning since we are using our lenses way beyond their intended purposes and these attributes are showing up in these circumstances.  an 85mm(aps-c) or 135mm (ff) reduces this artefact.  a 50mm (aps-c) or 85mm(ff) it shows very prominently.  

This might be where the "1.75" squeeze for the ultra star info came about. From my own tests, it's 2x.

My question is, how many Hollywood movies have been shot in 1.75 squeeze? The ultrastar is playing back those films.... logic suggests a 2x. Someone chime in if I'm wrong.

The Ultra Star is 2X. Don't ask me how this works cause I don't have a clue but when placing this thing in front of a projector the stretch works perfectly fine, it's only when taking images with it the strech is uneven. When you focus close the stretch becomes something like 1.75 or even less.

The Ultra Star is 2X. Don't ask me how this works cause I don't have a clue but when placing this thing in front of a projector the stretch works perfectly fine, it's only when taking images with it the strech is uneven. When you focus close the stretch becomes something like 1.75 or even less.

I imagine since the frame width of 4 perf printed film is only around 22mm, even with an aps-c sensor is bigger than this so we're using more of the glass than the optic was ever really meant to utilise.  add to this most of us go as far as we go before vignette, usually to get vignette we are using focal lengths less than half that of the original spherical part of the projection lenses these anamorphics tend to be mated to.

The difference in squeeze ratio could probably be compared to barrel distortion on a wide spherical lens used within its limits.

the most common range from these back spherical lenses for these Schneiders is 65- 105mm I have a box full of back taking lenses off these and they ar all ' medium to long lenses , they are projecting right down the middle parts of the glass, not the edges.

I only have a few 50 -55mm lenses off the back of these - the FM module users will be pushing these as wide as they can like Rich says so you are using parts of the extremes of the lens it was never designed to use.

An interesting thing will be to try a Magna Com on the back of one of these Schneiders with the FM as that can take you upto x0,7 wider ...you can variably stretch your taking lens to the absolute wide limit then.

The Schneider Magna Coms are simply stunning serious glass Ive never used anything like them almost loss less for wides!

I was using it on a digital dlp projector and the lens was too wide so I got vignetting, but there was no variable distortion at all.

The sankor 16C which is pretty soft, in front of the projector behaves super sharply and adds no color aberrations. When used on the camera it has a lot of color problems.