Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

SLR Magic announces 8mm f/4 MFT. Price: $349.00 USD. It's being marketed as the perfect drone lens.

...but optically terrible. Even when you're just playing the video in the browser window, it looks blurry and full of extreme chromatic aberrations. This is more a CCTV than an acceptable video image. The Laowa 7.5mm/f2 will beat it in every respect. It will likely be more expensive, too, but hopefully, not that much.

EDIT: Having had a better look at the pictures of the lens, it turns out that this is in fact a c-mount CCTV lens with an MFT adapter.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:18 PM, jase said:

Although a Voigtländer with AF would be.. nuts.

I just got the next best thing, at least I think I did. Won't know till I test it out, though. For those who are interested, I should be posting footage of the Oly 25mm f/1.2 sometime in the next couple of weeks. Kind of burned out from shooting street life for the past five years; ordered some lighting equipment: planning on going in a different direction. So, not sure how soon it will really be up...

I've been using the old Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4 lens and am loving it. Beautiful colours and smooth bokeh. It was also relatively cheap at around 80 euros. Can anyone recommend a couple of lenses that might go nicely with it? Specifically something wider and something around the 85mm mark. I'd love to keep that vintage look and not have to sacrifice contrast and character.

edit: Found what I couldn't find earlier. Seems like the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f2.8 might be a good choice. It's expensive but looks real nice. Has anyone used this?

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I've been using the old Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4 lens and am loving it. Beautiful colours and smooth bokeh. It was also relatively cheap at around 80 euros. Can anyone recommend a couple of lenses that might go nicely with it? Specifically something wider and something around the 85mm mark. I'd love to keep that vintage look and not have to sacrifice contrast and character.

edit: Found what I couldn't find earlier. Seems like the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f2.8 might be a good choice. It's expensive but looks real nice. Has anyone used this?

I had the older f4 zebra version and yeah, it's a nice lens. Also you should get the cheap Jena 50mm f/2.8... so cinematic. 

On 23.2.2017 at 10:35 PM, kidzrevil said:

I am stuck on the tiffen satin and black satin filters. The diffusion looks perfect with my panasonic body

Which strengths do you use? And when do you choose the normal satin filter, when the black satin?

22 hours ago, mercer said:

I had the older f4 zebra version and yeah, it's a nice lens. Also you should get the cheap Jena 50mm f/2.8... so cinematic. 

Already in the bag, also a great lens. I find that the 35mm gets a lot more use though, it's the perfect walk around lens and that close focusing distance is incredible. I was looking for a macro lens before that but not anymore.

5 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Already in the bag, also a great lens. I find that the 35mm gets a lot more use though, it's the perfect walk around lens and that close focusing distance is incredible. I was looking for a macro lens before that but not anymore.

Yeah, the 35mm is a wicked lens  I had one a while back but needed some extra money and sold it. Then I bought another one about 6-8 months ago but it was not as described and was in shit condition. And then after talking with you about it the other week, I won one from KEH pretty cheap, but that wasn't described right either. It was so inexpensive I ended up keeping it and listed it on eBay. There's not many in the states, so I figured I could make a profit on it rather than just return it.

Do you have the Jupiter? I think that's the 85mm Soviet lens from that era. 

7 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, the 35mm is a wicked lens  I had one a while back but needed some extra money and sold it. Then I bought another one about 6-8 months ago but it was not as described and was in shit condition. And then after talking with you about it the other week, I won one from KEH pretty cheap, but that wasn't described right either. It was so inexpensive I ended up keeping it and listed it on eBay. There's not many in the states, so I figured I could make a profit on it rather than just return it.

Do you have the Jupiter? I think that's the 85mm Soviet lens from that era. 

I've only read about it in passing. Is it worth looking out for? Lucky that here in Berlin there are so many little boutique shops and markets where these things can be had cheap.

36 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I've only read about it in passing. Is it worth looking out for? Lucky that here in Berlin there are so many little boutique shops and markets where these things can be had cheap.

I've never used one but I have read good things. 

12 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Jupiter 9 is a lovely small lens - soft & dreamy wide open at f2, but stop down to f2.8 & it is sharp.

Beware that there are 2 versions of it & i've only got the older/orignal version - so can't speak about the newer version (which has a thick pre-set aperture ring).

If size & weight aren't a problem then go for the Helios 40-2 85mm f1.9 - again dreamy wide open (with the added super swirly bokeh), but stopped down to f2 & it's sharp. The only downsides are the weight (1kg) & once stopped down the bokeh is star shaped, unlike the Jupiter 9.

A motion picture camera is just a dumb box, digital is a boring format, how Red and the digital era saw Cooke's customer base explode, how digital has breathed new life into anamorphic, putting a gouge into the front element of a Cooke to make a point, it's impossible to hold focus on a living breathing thing at T1.4, and other tidbits from Cooke chairman  Les Zellan.

i'm pretty much finished testing the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 and the Fuji 90mm f/2, both excellent lenses. I was toying with the idea of posting footage from both cameras together, since I like the idea of showing both normal and tele perspectives of some of the same subjects, but I'm afraid I might not be able to match the footage from both cameras. Also, attention may be focused on the cameras themselves rather than the lenses. Would you prefer to see two separate field tests, or one mixed?

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.12.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.12.04 AM.png

On 6.3.2017 at 7:05 PM, jonpais said:

Also, attention may be focused on the cameras themselves rather than the lenses. Would you prefer to see two separate field tests, or one mixed?

I would vote for seperate tests, personally I dont care for the Fuji ;)

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Ordered the Panasonic Leica 12mm f/1.4, should arrive sometime next week. Hopefully posting a quick and dirty video by next Friday.

Wow... you have a lens home run game going on or what? Although I am very in love with my Summilux 15 currently, the Summilux 12 urges a desire in me...

6 minutes ago, jase said:

I would vote for seperate tests, personally I dont care for the Fuji ;)

Wow... you have a lens home run game going on or what? Although I am very in love with my Summilux 15 currently, the Summilux 12 urges a desire in me...

Nobody replied, so I've already mashed the two together. If it turns out to look like hell, I'll do individual videos. Almost 2 hours of footage I've got to trim down to around 2-1/2 minutes, probably gonna take a few days. Believe it or not, it was this video that convinced me I had to own the Leica. I've been trying to find suitable fast primes to replace my two Panasonic Vario zooms, the 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8. This should just about round out the set: 12mm f/1.4 Leica, 25mm f/1.2 Oly, 30mm f/1.4 Sigma, 42.5mm 1.2 Leica, and 75mm 1.8 Oly. Your shots with the 15mm look phenomenal, BTW. 

Hey everyone,

I have a really odd question. Can anyone recommend any lenses that have extreme chromatic aberrations? I'm trying to work on something that I want to get the look for but doing it digitally doesn't have the same effect. Any old lenses would do - generally 28mm - 80mm would be great.

For once, google really doesn't help.

Thanks everyone :)

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

Nobody replied, so I've already mashed the two together. If it turns out to look like hell, I'll do individual videos. Almost 2 hours of footage I've got to trim down to around 2-1/2 minutes, probably gonna take a few days. Believe it or not, it was this video that convinced me I had to own the Leica. I've been trying to find suitable fast primes to replace my two Panasonic Vario zooms, the 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8. This should just about round out the set: 12mm f/1.4 Leica, 25mm f/1.2 Oly, 30mm f/1.4 Sigma, 42.5mm 1.2 Leica, and 75mm 1.8 Oly. Your shots with the 15mm look phenomenal, BTW. 

Thanks will check out that video. Btw, I didnt present any shot with the 15mm yet, maybe you confused the almighty 20mm from my last edit ;)