Long-range remotely controlling video on a Canon DSLR with EOS Utility

Ronan

Greetings,

I've run into an issue with remotely controlling the video on a Canon DSLR (5D2 and 7D) while maintaining EOS Utility. I need 150+ft range and USB drops off after ~30ft. I've tried USB to ethernet adapters since I was told ethernet doesn't drop off, but that hasn't worked yet - I was later told you would beed a network router for this to work? Does anyone know of a solution for wired control of a Canon DSLR so that the control through EOS utility is still functional.

I have solutions for wirelessly triggering video with a pocketwizard setup, but I lose two very critical things; exposure control control and media download.

The concept is to have a camera rigged in a location where repeated visits isn't an option - so exposure control and media download are key.

I've read that the Canon wireless transmitters will also maintain the functionality of the EOS Utility - does anyone have experience with that? What do folks with these RC helicopters do for remote control of video? Probably a much bigger budget than I have...

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice.

-Ronan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs