New Blackmagic editing toys.

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, leslie said:

hey @kye how do you reckon this  new video player compares to your bm control panel you already have ?

That new device appears to be a standalone media player recorder.  My Speed Editor is a Bluetooth controller that only works with Resolve.

One is a piece of video equipment hardware, the other is a BT controller.

Seems like a lost opportunity then. If it cant double up and tie into resolve its about as useful as tits on a bull. Expensive media player even if it does have the option to record. But thats just my 2 cents worth.  🙄

1 hour ago, leslie said:

Seems like a lost opportunity then. If it cant double up and tie into resolve its about as useful as tits on a bull. Expensive media player even if it does have the option to record. But thats just my 2 cents worth.  🙄

BM have an entire ecosystem of video hardware that is designed for broadcast.  I suspect you could probably run a small TV station almost completely on equipment they make.

A setup consisting of a camera and a PC for editing and colour grading is a very small part of such an enterprise - we just don't talk about the hardware side of the industry that much on here.  

Saying a hardware device that plays/records media should also be a software controller because it has a knob and some buttons is like saying that a cinema camera should also be a dash camera because they both have sensors and write to a media card 🙂 

23 hours ago, kye said:

BM have an entire ecosystem of video hardware that is designed for broadcast.  I suspect you could probably run a small TV station almost completely on equipment they make.

A setup consisting of a camera and a PC for editing and colour grading is a very small part of such an enterprise - we just don't talk about the hardware side of the industry that much on here.  

Saying a hardware device that plays/records media should also be a software controller because it has a knob and some buttons is like saying that a cinema camera should also be a dash camera because they both have sensors and write to a media card 🙂 

Buy a smartphone and be amazed then... the days of tech only doing one thing even if it does that one thing well, are going the way of the dinosaur. Sad that  most camera manufactures are still stuck with such a narrow mindset.

When i throw my money around it has to on something that is able to do more than one trick. Been a lot of talk on this forum weighing up the pros and cons of various cameras. Consensus seems to be buy one with the most features you can use. Should be no different for hardware. 

A $495 media player isnt that practical for me. If it had a usb interface and could of worked with resolve, it would of been more useful. Maybe a bunch of vloggers will buy this  to have as a showpony on their desk, who knows ?  

I'm slightly interested to see if anyone on the forum buys one of these and how they use it, however for me its a bit off a miss,  i'll be saving my money for something else. 

4 hours ago, leslie said:

Buy a smartphone and be amazed then... the days of tech only doing one thing even if it does that one thing well, are going the way of the dinosaur. Sad that  most camera manufactures are still stuck with such a narrow mindset.

When i throw my money around it has to on something that is able to do more than one trick. Been a lot of talk on this forum weighing up the pros and cons of various cameras. Consensus seems to be buy one with the most features you can use. Should be no different for hardware. 

A $495 media player isnt that practical for me. If it had a usb interface and could of worked with resolve, it would of been more useful. Maybe a bunch of vloggers will buy this  to have as a showpony on their desk, who knows ?  

I'm slightly interested to see if anyone on the forum buys one of these and how they use it, however for me its a bit off a miss,  i'll be saving my money for something else. 

We're simply not the target market - that doesn't mean it's a bad product or anything.  In a sense, you offering your opinion on this is kind of like offering it on language classes that teach Japanese to people who speak Spanish - it's just not aimed at you.

PCs (of which smartphones are just another version in a smaller box) are jack-of-all-trades, but also master-of-none.  There are things that you will have a seriously hard time doing, if they're possible at all.  Anything that absolutely has to be done real-time is one of those - computers are devices designed for no guarantees because there's always the chance that Windows or OSX or whatever will decide it's time to update the driver for the mouse and video playback will cease for half a second or something.   Good luck getting a video signal out of Resolve that hasn't been "made better" by the operating systems colour management processes.  Good luck getting a specific resolution and frame rate out of OSX - at all.  

This is a box that does one thing absolutely reliably, where your computer is something that does a bunch of stuff, which is most of what you want, unreliably.

That's why BM sell hardware, and why people buy it.

• Super Members

With regard to the actual product itself, it is actually pretty impressive.

It can play/record media from its internal SD card, local USB drive or across a network which makes it a very flexible addition for anyone using an ATEM, particularly as it provides the capability to do a 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes master recording from it.

On the playback side, being able to cue up a library of pre-recorded clips to play in live to the ATEM is a real boon for streaming but it also useful in the field as you can connect it to camera to record a ProRes clip to SD card for hand off or for playing back into a broadcast.

As it weighs next to nothing and can be 12v powered it can then be the modern (not to mention available) version of the screen less Ninja Star if you only need 1080p.

The fact that is also includes a teleprompter function is an unexpected but welcome bonus that adds to its overall utility.

On the downside, at $495 it is probably at least $100-150 overpriced (and for some situations you would likely want two of them) but what isn't currently overpriced due to supply chain issues ?

The price does need to be kept in perspective though as Blackmagic are offering systems at prices that are an absolute fraction of what a similar setup would have cost not many years ago.

With the ATEM Extreme ISO and a couple of these HyperDeck Shuttle HDs, you have an 8 camera system with ISO recording of every channel, virtual set capability, two channel play in or one channel play in and a master recorder and you can fit in all in a backpack and broadcast live to and from anywhere for under $2K.

Incredible really.

On the issue of it not being able to be used with Resolve, I don't find that to be an unreasonable expectation to be honest.

Plenty of similar devices in the audio recording market (the modern digital portastudios) can also have their controls switchable to become control surfaces for DAWs to acknowledge hybrid working.

In the case of the HyperDeck Shuttle HD, this would be entirely appropriate too as the workflow promoted heavily by Blackmagic is to switch cameras live on the ATEM and then finish in Resolve using the generated XML file with the master camera files.

Having the jog/shuttle transport controls in Resolve would therefore be very useful and would mitigate the slightly heavy price.

I'm a bit surprised there's no budget I/O for using with the current M1 Mac generation, seeing how the marketing pushes the use case so hard.

I had an Intensity Pro 4k in my Windows PC and that worked great for a low price.

But for the Mac Mini the options are Ultra Studio Monitor 3G (135$)which only does 1080p60 or then the UltraStudio4k that does 2160p60 for 1095$. There's imho a huge gap in between and getting a PCIe-box to externally connect a Decklink/Intensity card via TB also adds 300$+ to the cost of the card.

9 hours ago, Phil A said:

I'm a bit surprised there's no budget I/O for using with the current M1 Mac generation, seeing how the marketing pushes the use case so hard.

I had an Intensity Pro 4k in my Windows PC and that worked great for a low price.

But for the Mac Mini the options are Ultra Studio Monitor 3G (135$)which only does 1080p60 or then the UltraStudio4k that does 2160p60 for 1095$. There's imho a huge gap in between and getting a PCIe-box to externally connect a Decklink/Intensity card via TB also adds 300$+ to the cost of the card.

Yes, it's unfortunate the pricing gap between the PCI solutions and the USB/Thunderbolt solutions, considering that the differences are basically putting a metal box around it.  I've been annoyed at this in the past, being a laptop user.

Another reason to standardise on 1080p workflow and give the middle finger to tech for its own sake with little-to-no visual difference (and get 4x the processing power for free!) 🙂